75-year-old man with CCW saves day

This is a discussion on 75-year-old man with CCW saves day within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 2 Percent Of Oklahomans Have A Permit To Carry A Concealed Weapon 49,221 people in Oklahoma have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, which ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 75-year-old man with CCW saves day

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar

2 Percent Of Oklahomans Have A Permit To Carry A Concealed Weapon

49,221 people in Oklahoma have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, which is less than 2 percent of the population. One of those is a 75 year old retired man who shot a robbery suspect this weekend inside a Tulsa grocery store.

News on 6 crime reporter Lori Fullbright takes a look at the law.

Tulsa Police say two men confronted a store employee at a Homeland grocery store near 91st and South Memorial on Saturday and demanded money at gunpoint.

A 75-year-old man, who was standing in the checkout line, legally had a revolver hidden inside his pocket. He pulled it out and shot at the robbers. Tulsa Police Sgt Mike Huff: "Fired a couple of shots. One hit one of the suspects in the mid-torso area. We feel he is seriously injured."

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation says 7,622 people in Tulsa County have a permit to carry a concealed weapon anywhere except into government buildings, schools, universities, jails, places that sell beer, places where there's betting, professional sporting events or any other business that forbids it. Violating that part of the law will cost you a $250 fine and you'll have your permit suspended for three months.

The News on 6 could not find a posting at the 91st and Memorial Homeland store, prohibiting firearms.

Tulsa Police say deciding to shoot isn't simple, even when it's legal. Sgt Mike Huff: "We always have to think about our backdrop, what we're shooting at, if we miss it, what will we hit and if there's a gun battle, if they miss us, what are they going to hit. It sounds simple but in a split second, it's a big decision to engage someone in deadly force."

What police officers can't publicly say is most of them secretly applaud citizens who defend their own lives or the lives or others. Sgt Mike Huff: "The bad guys with guns are shooting at people and they have no rules to follow. They obviously disregard the laws. The good, hard-working people are the ones who are following the rules. Over the years, they've acted very responsibly."

58 concealed permits are currently under suspension, the state revoked 18 of them last year.

Tulsa Police say this weekend's shooting appears to right in line with the law and folks with Homeland told us they have no comment.

Tulsa Police say if the robbery suspect doesn't get medical treatment soon, he could die, in fact, they wonder if he might already be dead.

http://www.kotv.com/main/home/storie...ge=1&id=100878
    Curry

Wow - what a guy! 75 years young and a CC and a shooter. If I remember Tulsa, the 91th and S. Memorial area wasn't too tough an area - is my memory foggy? LOL!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    I hope this turns out ok for the good guy.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    [QUOTE=BCurry1]2 Percent Of Oklahomans Have A Permit To Carry A Concealed Weapon

What police officers can't publicly say is most of them secretly applaud citizens who defend their own lives or the lives or others. Sgt Mike Huff: "The bad guys with guns are shooting at people and they have no rules to follow. They obviously disregard the laws. The good, hard-working people are the ones who are following the rules. Over the years, they've acted very responsibly."

Tulsa Police say if the robbery suspect doesn't get medical treatment soon, he could die, in fact, they wonder if he might already be dead.

I figured for liability reasons, they could not say anything, but how about the news putting it out their.

He could already be dead,
    I don't mean to sound uncaring, but WHAAAAAAAH.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

los
    My hope is that one day all criminals realize that they are not the only armed civilians. That would-be-criminals begin to realize and accept the fact that there's a high probablity, while commiting an act of violence, they will probably shot in the A$$ by an 85 year old grandma!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by los
    My hope is that one day all criminals realize that they are not the only armed civilians. That would-be-criminals begin to realize and accept the fact that there's a high probablity, while commiting an act of violence, they will probably shot in the A$$ by an 85 year old grandma!!
    You must be a Clint Eastwood Fan,

Right turn Clyde.

Or shoud I say Bruce.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds a good one but I'd like to have more info if it were available.

No way to ''see'' the surroundings and how safe or unsafe his shots were. ''Standing in checkout line" does conjure up images of people in front, clerks in line of fire etc.

In principle I applaud this of course and hope the guy is not in trouble. No way I want to see scumbags get away with what they try.
    concealed weapon anywhere except into government buildings, schools, universities, jails, places that sell beer, places where there's betting, professional sporting events or any other business that forbids it.
    ''Places that sell beer'' - I have just printed out the restrictions in OK pre my impending visit - and must check again - because I thought the ''beer'' thing was OK if not the primary business - ie, bar is no go but restaurant with beer is OK. Gotta read thru again.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    ''Places that sell beer'' - I have just printed out the restrictions in OK pre my impending visit - and must check again - because I thought the ''beer'' thing was OK if not the primary business - ie, bar is no go but restaurant with beer is OK. Gotta read thru again.

Is that for Oklahoma Chris, The ABC rule seems to be one that changes the most from state to state. Ours here in VA says only allowed when it's not sold for on site consumption. 711 and ABC store is okay, But Applebees and the like are out.

Booo Hiss.

Assistant Administrator
    Just checked again Mike - the distinction there seems to be where the sale of the beer or other alco' beverages does not constitute the primary source of business. I take this to mean bar - no .......... restaurant = OK. I guess somewhat after the TX' 51% type deal.

Any OK folks care to comment on how they see it?

PA has to be one of the best - there is no restriction on bars, etc - but obviously as we always say - booze and carry do not mix.
    Chris - P95

los
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Just checked again Mike - the distinction there seems to be where the sale of the beer or other alco' beverages does not constitute the primary source of business. I take this to mean bar - no .......... restaurant = OK. I guess somewhat after the TX' 51% type deal.
    On the Nosey!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    75 only sounds old. My dad is 73 and is very alert, capable and energetic. Heck, he's probably iin better shape than I am since he quit smoking years ago!
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Chris, you are correct Applebees, Chilis, On the Boarder, those places are ok, just no bars. Also remember any business owner can ban guns, so look for a little sign, anything will do, we do not have sign reg.s like texas does. Also you can not carry into liquor stores here. We are heavy into the bible belt so we have seperate stores that only sell liquor, and they close at 9:00pm and are closed on sundays. Any other OK questions, just let me know.
    Curry

Assistant Administrator
    Thank you Ben (and los)
    Chris - P95

Wink 70's is nothing....

Quote Originally Posted by Ride4TheBrand
    75 only sounds old. My dad is 73 and is very alert, capable and energetic. Heck, he's probably iin better shape than I am since he quit smoking years ago!
    Jeff Cooper, considered by many to be the Father of the modern gunfighting technique is in his 90's. He CCW's all over the place and I'd sure hate to be the Goblin that jumps HIM in the supermarket parking lot!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

well i applaud the older gent myself ,the police have been cited in saying that it was a good SHOOT and no charges will be filed .

the next evening there was a MURDER involving guns , that took some of the heat (meaning biased news media) off of him .

ben(bcurry1) i'm 2 weeks out of the little class , and live in one of the 11 counties barring guns in the parking lots at work, but my instructor said liquor stores were ok and the consumption of said alcohol was the limiting factor if it was the primary source of income for the establishment.

also the litle signs don't mean anything, other than a trespassing violation for 50$ if spotted that your carring and don't leave when asked .
    granted i have yet put any of this to the test . and i don't actually expect anyone to base a decision on what i have said, being totally new at this .

rock and glock , 91 st and memorial is a nice area and only one mile down the street from an affluent neighborhood .
    it's that there is now no rhyme or reason any more to what's happening around here , hence my desire to protect me and mine . i do have an opinon to whats going on and will discuss it at the show not here .

the show is at the fairgrounds county owned property , so while it is legal to carry in the expo itself the offices are not. however if they allow it at the show i cant say , there will be police checking all weapons brought in , i know of two different AD'S in two years not consecative though . but mainly it is for tax purposes they put little stickers on your guns .

anyway i hate long posts sorry ,
    elance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links