Couple attacked outside their motel room

This is a discussion on Couple attacked outside their motel room within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Always be aware of your surroundings folks. LiveLeak.com - Street robbers violently attack couple outside their motel room...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple attacked outside their motel room

"...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Yup, it happens quick.

Thank you for posting that. It shows that when the fecal matter hits the rotating thingie that things happen fast and that fights are moving and flowing things. Situations change quickly, and one has to be able to adapt and overcome.

Two things stick in my mind. The first is that the "awareness" of the victims was too little too late. That's what badguys look for. Like it or not, we have all been unaware at times, that happens.

The second thing is, while the attack was sudden and some would even say vicious, I observed a sense of self preservation on the part of the badguys. Observe how the badguy closest to the camera was hesitent to get within striking distance of the victim. Badguys don't want to get hurt getting their ill gotten booty.

It goes to a cost / reward analysis. If it cost them more than they have to gain then it's not worth it. If they were armed maybe the outcome would've been different, I don't know. With the situational awareness that the victims had, and we've all been there, it's probably better that they weren't armed. Most of us have just been lucky that when our guard was down we weren't the target of a pair of badguys, like this couple.

In short, it can happen at any time, in any place. The best we can do is prepare and practice. The victim in this case missed some good opportunities to land some kicks on the badguy's leg. This would change the cost/benefit ratio significantly, and may have ended the attack sooner, but I don't know.

Biker

I'd like to donate 5 boxes of projectiles to help rid us of these POS and the more violent ones that need to just go away.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Might have been me

I made about the same error on not being prepared last night while on a late night trip to Wally World. I was ready for bed when we found the supply of DW detergent was at "0" balance. Since we live on the edge of town and Wally World is only a 5 minute drive I got dressed and headed there. Since I was in a hurry and it is just down the highway I simply pulled on pants and shirt and headed out the door. When I got there and was walking across the parking lot I realized it was dark and I only had my car keys for a weapon. Not a good feeling. My SA instantly went from yellow to orange but I continued with the trip. In and out in a hurry and then safely back home. Never want to have that feeling again.
    US Army retired (1969 - 1994)
    Vietnam 1970 - 1971

VIP Member
    sad video
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I always try to notice whats going on around me. I also try to listen. If someone i didnt see comes running up behind me maybe i can here them. Use all your senses. Not just sight.

I keep my head on a swivel and I carry an American Express concealed weapon(I NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT)
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here are some simple steps that I have used when traveling to smaller motels/hotels. While minor, I think they are good, common sense steps for raising the security level a bit.

• Pack lightly in a simple "night" bag only those items you'll be needing for that evening's stay. Even if you also travel with larger luggage pieces.
    • Be aware of your surroundings and the inbound lanes of access to you.
    • If there are two or more of you staying in the room, have one person work the key and the other(s) monitor the surroundings.
    • Don't stay at a motel/hotel with room doors facing publicly-accessible areas. They're crime magnets. You can be monitored and tied to a given room. Such doors can be easily kicked in.
    • Pick a room in the middle of a longer hallway. This affords a simple and effective view if the inbound lanes an attacker must travel to get to you, during entry/exit. Your patterns won't be noted and tied to a specific room. Your door will simply be one of dozens in that hallway, reducing the likelihood of being targeted.
    • Be aware of motel staff that publicize your room number to all within hearing distance. If they do, request another room. Lobbies can be good places to mark juicy targets.
    • Travel with a small room alarm that goes off via motion, then use it to warn of intrusion into the room.
    • Finally, remember that vermin generally don't stay at the Ritz. Neither are you. Thus, some basic caution is due.

Simple steps, easily done. A small bag, a room in the interior hallway, paying attention, using a motion-sensing alarm.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Watching that animal hit that lady makes me furious.....

I watched a few more robbery videos on that link, all of the "gunmen" ,without fail were holding their weapons sideways.....if they did shoot the odds are pretty good they'd miss...

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    This is only about 6 miles from my home and less than a mile from a police substation. The area is generally very nice but I have been told that this motel is a haven for problems related to section 8 housing residents, not sure how true the section 8 part of the story is but it is a nasty little motel.

I have to agree ccw9mm don't stay in motels stay in hotels with interior corridors so people have to walk by the front desk to gain entry. As for the Filth of Humanity that attacked these people they are likely gone; from that spot in Delaware you can be in NJ in 10 minutes, MD in 20 or 30 minutes and PA in less than 5.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Staying alert and armed is so important. This video is a perfect example of why...

If the couple had been obviously alert, perhaps they would not have looked like such easy pickens'.

We can all miss something coming...human nature needs to be fine-tuned, but in some situations (like motels) one should EXPECT that such vicious animal are going to be lurking in the shadows.

These animal types deserve nothing more than a lead invitation to a permanent dirtnap.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That looked pretty tough too me to avoid. Those guys came out of no where and attacked. You have to take your eyes away to unlock the door. You cant always have you hand on your gun ready to draw. If you do draw before they attack, that can get you into trouble. Who says they were not going after you.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

One more reason I don't like hotels with external access doors. I prefer halls, only 1 of 2 ways (typically) someone can come at you.

I always look around me when I am distracted by keys and doors. But then again I also count the "paces" to a fire escape in case I have to crawl out under smoke.

I appreciate Cops, Firefighters and Security but it is first MY OWN responsibility for my safety, the others take over when I can't.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

That one really burns my butt. I HATE cowards like that! The fact that they kept beating that woman on the ground makes me fume.

I do a really good job surveying a scene especially after hours like that. I can't say whether or not they would have been able to get the drop on me like that, but I know my response would have been ALOT different to see some POS street thug beating on my wife like that. Only one would have been able to run off that night. That kinda crap is asking for someone to shoot the BG
    2A is not negotiable

Another tool for hotel protection is a bar that hooks under the doorknob and then rests on the ground (rubber foot for traction).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links