Steve McNair: Killed by 2nd Amendment?

This is a discussion on Steve McNair: Killed by 2nd Amendment? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The July 7th edition the web site WorldNetDaily reports that in response to Steve McNair's death, he accuses "America's gun culture". Another moron heard from. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar

The July 7th edition the web site WorldNetDaily reports that in response to Steve McNair's death, he accuses "America's gun culture". Another moron heard from.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WEAPONS OF CHOICE
    Sports writer blames NFL star's death on 'American gun culture'

Posted: July 07, 2009
    12:03 am Eastern

By Drew Zahn
    2009 WorldNetDaily

After former NFL and Super Bowl quarterback Steve McNair was found shot dead yesterday, the police said he was a victim of murder, but one well-known sports writer claims the athlete was a victim, instead, of the "American gun culture."

Mike Lupica is the author of more than two dozen sports-related books and novels, an ESPN TV personality, a regular writer for the New York Daily News and, apparently, no friend to gun-rights advocates.

In response to the discovery of McNair's body and that of his alleged mistress, both shot presumably by the semiautomatic pistol found at the crime scene, Lupica penned an article titled, "Steve McNair's famous face becomes just another victim of American gun culture."

Lupica's article takes a couple of soft shots at the presence of firearms in America, commenting, "Where did the gun come from? Where it always comes from: Somewhere," and, "This weekend [McNair] was famous again, this time as a crime statistic, homicide victim, dead by gun," before concluding with a far more pointed comment:

"[McNair] is the 36th homicide victim in Nashville this year. That is down from 41 at the same time last year," Lupica writes. "Only in a country of gun lovers is that considered progress."

Second Amendment gun rights advocates, however, have criticized Lupica's comments as insulting and "ignorant" of the facts.

"Blaming the 'gun culture' for a criminal act is a calculated insult to the tens of millions of peaceable American gun owners who own firearms and do not engage in violence," responded David Codrea, Gun Rights Examiner for Examiner.com. "The fact is, guns in private hands are overwhelmingly used to save lives, most of the time without firing a shot."

According to the Associated Press, McNair, 36, was found dead from multiple gunshot wounds along with Sahel Kazemi, a 20-year-old woman he was reportedly dating, at a Nashville condominium he rented with a friend. McNair, who was married with four sons, had a permit to carry a handgun in Tennessee, though police have not yet determined who owned the gun found beneath Kazemi's body.

Codrea told WND that especially given the circumstances including the fact that police are not currently seeking suspects, which some are speculating indicates a likely murder-suicide scenario blaming the deaths on "guns" constitutes a cop out.

"All indications are McNair was a man of power and influence who was using a girl almost half his age, a former waitress with no money, no power, but physical attractiveness," Codrea said "[While] the 'adultery culture' no doubt provided the setting for a tragic ending, we do no one any good by refusing to focus on personal responsibility and choices. And Lupica does actual harm by exploiting sad circumstances to disparage the right of good people to protect themselves."

Erich Pratt, director of communications for Gun Owners of America, told WND that Lupica has apparently fallen victim himself, not to "America's gun culture," but to the myths and misunderstandings of those that seek to control or eliminate firearms.

"Lupica's slam against 'gun lovers' is ignorant and over the top," Pratt told WND.

Quoting Lupica's assertion that McNair had become "a statistic," a victim of the "gun culture," Pratt then rattled off statistics of his own:

"The places which have the greatest access to guns are the safest places to live," Pratt asserted. "While Vermont allows people to carry concealed firearms without a permit, it is frequently listed as being the safest state in the union. Washington, D.C., however, had imposed a near complete gun ban for years, even during a time that it was the nation's murder capital."

"According to the Clinton Justice Department in 1997, guns are used 50 times more often to save life than to take life," Pratt continued. "That means for every tragic Steve McNair story, there were another 50 people who used guns to protect themselves."

"Twice as many children are killed playing football in school than are murdered by guns," Pratt concluded. "Despite what media coverage might seem to indicate, there are more deaths related to high school football than guns. Hmm, does that mean we have a dangerous 'football culture'?"
    McNair, selected four times to the National Football League's Pro Bowl, played most of his career for the Tennessee Titans, whom he led to the Super Bowl at the end of the 1999 season. He announced his retirement last year, after injuries forced the quarterback known as "Air McNair" to conclude his career. Besides his wife, he is survived by his sons Junior, Steven, Tyler and Trenton.

Ahhhh, but adultery is to blame 2a is just being framed.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Ahhhh, but adultery is to blame 2a is just being framed.

Amen to this.. Guess we need to start banning adultery... Oh wait, God already did. Guess they was doing something they shouldn't have been doing.. If they wasn't committing adultery this wouldn't have happened.. Say it like it is,..

Lupica is a moron. Just looking for a way to get the most people riled up as possible. Best thing to do with him is ignore him, make him think that no one reads his junk, it'll drive him crazy (ier).

I blame Mike Lupica for McNairs death, the girl read one of his stupid articles, it made her dumber..so...she went nuts..bought a gun and killed McNair.

How ignorant to blame something as nebulous as "gun culture" for a crime. How about blaming the shooter ?

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    Amen to this.. Guess we need to start banning adultery... Oh wait, God already did. Guess they was doing something they shouldn't have been doing.. If they wasn't committing adultery this wouldn't have happened.. Say it like it is,..
    Perhaps the apartment complex didn't have those "No Adultery" signs posted...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

for all of Lupica's intelligence about sports, he sure does come off as a complete moron when it comes to the real world.

It's interesting that the only time Lupica has an opinion on the 2A is when a famous sports guy gets murdered.

I don't recall him berating the 2A and "the gun culture" when Burris tried to blow his leg off either?

maybe it's just me, but I have lost all respect for a sports commentator that I thought had a brain.....my bad
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Perhaps the apartment complex didn't have those "No Adultery" signs posted...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now that's funny,..

I don't know about all of you but I am going to have an nice long stern talk with all of my guns tonight. I don't want them shooting at anyone while they are in my hand with my finger on the trigger. After that I'll talk to the knives, baseball bats, nail clippers, rocks, hammers, screwdrivers, q-tips, extension cords, and anything else I can get my hands on.

Typical liberal puke, blame inatimate objects for the actions of humans.

Joker1
    Last edited by joker1; July 7th, 2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: changed a word

It's funny, back in either the late 70's or early 80's some dude got kicked out of a underground nightclub in New York City. He went across the street and purchased a gallon of gasoline and came back and killed, I believe 86 people. Not a single politician, sports writer, commentator or anyone at ABC called for a ban on gasoline. He's just another liberal DH with the means to convey his opinion....and you know what they say about opinions.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Mike Lupica is the author of more than two dozen sports-related books and novels, an ESPN TV personality, a regular writer for the New York Daily News and, apparently, no friend to gun-rights advocates.
    Wonder if that would change? Say maybe someday some New York or any other BG is about to do him great harm or take him out, and somebody with a CCH rushes to his aid and saves his life? Wonder if the Poison Pen, Poison Key Board, mindset would change?

They are making it clear, this is the day in which Evil is Good and Good is Evil.

Take Care all
    Boze
    Boze
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to, this is the last stand on earth." Ronald Reagan

"Gentlemen, Prepare to defend yourselves" SGM Basil Plumley

Lupica is not a liberal.

You guys keep him, we don't want him.

He's not a Sportswriter either, he writes about GAMES, if it isn't Boxing, it's just a game.

Definition of Commentator: Person who has either never actually done anything, OR who may have done something, but not well enough to make a living at it; who comments on the sufficiency of actions and abilities of others who are talented enough to do what he either didn't do or couldn't do sufficiently.

Hence, I don't know why anyone would listen to a sports commentator in the first place.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Definition of Commentator: Person who has either never actually done anything, OR who may have done something, but not well enough to make a living at it; who comments on the sufficiency of actions and abilities of others who are talented enough to do what he either didn't do or couldn't do sufficiently.

Hence, I don't know why anyone would listen to a sports commentator in the first place.
    Agreed
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

yeah but too bad it wasn't adultery since Mcnair and his wife have been separated for 2 years and he'd been in a relationship with the other women for several months. Since the media wants to take away real facts and pump the news with He's a cheater and that's what got him killed, no maybe an unstable woman with a gun killed him. Would we scream for a ban of kitchen knives, prescription overdose or common household cleaners if they were used?
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    The 2nd amendment didn't kill him. Playing his wife and a girl that didn't want to be played, killed him. He should be happy he went quick. He could have been run over a few times by a Benz instead!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links