What should happen?

This is a discussion on What should happen? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Considering that Sahel Kazemi was only 20, and not legal to own or posess a handgun, do you think the third party that sold her ...

View Poll Results: Criminal Negligence?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 36.36%
  • No

35 63.64%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should happen?

What should happen?

Considering that Sahel Kazemi was only 20, and not legal to own or posess a handgun, do you think the third party that sold her the handgun that was used to kill (allegedly) Steve McNair should be held criminally negligent?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Where was it purchased and who sold it to her?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I ask this because I have sold many guns in the past, and I've always insured that they were of legal age. I hate that I feel this way, because I am about as far to the right as you could possibly go without falling off the face of the Earth, however, we as law abiding citizens need to be responsible enough to make sure that we are acting within the law. As ordinary people, we don't have access to the databases that FFLs do, so about all we CAN do is to make sure that at least the buyer is of legal age. You wouldn't sell a car to a 13 year old, and you wouldn't sell beer to a 17 year old, so why on Earth would you sell a handgun to a 20 year old?

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    Where was it purchased and who sold it to her?

In TN, two days prior. The local paper here says that they (police) are not releasing the name of the seller, and that most likely no charges. That doesn't, however free this guy from some civil lawsuit.

jfl
    If I sold a car to an individual, and he would use it to commit a crime, should I be accused of "criminal negligence"; or a kitchen knife, or a baseball bat or ...
    I don't understand this poll here !!!
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

As long as the seller sold the gun lawfully to the buyer then he should not be held liable. As an example, if someone bought a meat clever at walmart and used it in the comission of a crime, then should walmart be sued? The answer is no assuming the buyer was of legal age.

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    If I sold a car to an individual, and he would use it to commit a crime, should I be accused of "criminal negligence"; or a kitchen knife, or a baseball bat or ...
    if you sold a car to a 14 year old yes... I do believe that the age for purchasing handguns should be 18 but that's not the issue. If she is under age she is under age. I also think that the drinking age should be 18 but as the law stands individuals who supply underage kids with alcohol can be held responsible. Now if she is 21 or over the the fault rests on her.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

You are missing the point. The point here is that this guy sold a handgun to, for all intensive purposes, and underage person. If you sold beer to a 17 year old (who is not of legal age to posses or consume alcohol), then this teen went out and killed someone with his car because he was drunk, you would be in deep, deep ****. What do you think would happen to an FFL if they had sold the gun to her?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post
    As long as the seller sold the gun lawfully to the buyer then he should not be held liable. As an example, if someone bought a meat clever at walmart and used it in the comission of a crime, then should walmart be sued? The answer is no assuming the buyer was of legal age.
    But this guy did not sell the gun legally. She was NOT 21. It was an illegal transaction.

It would make a huge difference if you sold a handgun to a person knowing they were not legal to buy it. The other things you stated are all legal to buy without a permit.

I do not agree that anyone but the person who committed the crime is guilty unless the other person was facilitating the crime. If the gun was legally sold then there is only one guilty party.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpilot007 View Post

Refresh my memory. What is the legal age for possesion of a meat cleaver?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrohead View Post
    Refresh my memory. What is the legal age for possesion of a meat cleaver?
    Well that kind of depends, what's the legal age for possession of a handgun in where ever this happened. There are several states where you can possess a handgun at age 18.

Who bought the gun, how do we know the weapon was sold to her? Was there a receipt? Did someone buy the gun and let her use it?

I'm not clear on the 'facts' of the case yet...hard to form an opinion.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    It would make a huge difference if you sold a handgun to a person knowing they were not legal to buy it. The other things you stated are all legal to buy without a permit.

I do not agree that anyone but the person who committed the crime is guilty unless the other person was facilitating the crime. If the gun was legally sold then there is only one guilty party.
    There are two halves to every transaction. Now, if she had produced a fake ID, stating that she was 21, then there is nothing that the seller could do, but to take it at face value.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post

What permit ??? We don't need no stinkin permit in Florida to have a gun unless it is a class 3.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links