Bad : Another One Shot & Killed

This is a discussion on Bad : Another One Shot & Killed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Huntington man dies after being shot Bill Rosenberger/ The Herald-Dispatch Huntington Police are investigating a shooting that took place in the 900 block of 27th ...

Thread: Bad : Another One Shot & Killed

Huntington man dies after being shot

Bill Rosenberger/ The Herald-Dispatch

Huntington Police are investigating a shooting that took place in the 900 block of 27th Street on Tuesday afternoon.

Purchase this photo July 08, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON -- A Huntington man died this evening at Cabell Huntington Hospital after being shot by an unknown gunman near the 900 block of 27th Street.

Huntington Police identified the victim as 20-year-old Billy James Jordan. His death is being investigated as a homicide, according a press release from Captain Rick Eplin of the Huntington Police Department. However, an official cause of death is not being released, pending confirmation from the Medical Examiner's Office.

The incident was called into Cabell County dispatchers around 4:10 p.m. A witness told police he heard two or three gunshots and then saw a woman driving a black vehicle leave the scene hurriedly. Eplin, though, she said was a friend of Jordan and not connected to the incident. She did flee the scene, but she was later located and has spoken with police.

Eplin said late Tuesday night that interviews are being conducted with friends and family members of the victim to determine possible suspects or motives. Witness statements indicate there may have been two suspects, but aren't sure if one or both fired at the victim. The two suspects fled on foot.

More information may be available Wednesday, police said.
    Huntington man dies after being shot - The Herald Dispatch

I used to think Huntington, WV was kind of a safe place. With all the Detroit drug thugs here, the place is getting worse. I have been right there at that spot where the shooting occured during my work hours.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Sounds like its time to start taking out the trash.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I used to live on that street MANY years ago. My Bro still lives three blocks away from there.

When we lived there, it was a nice community (like I said, a LONG time ago), now that whole area is a crappy community.

There have even been several drive by shootings in the area in the past year.

Very sad.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Not much to the story...not sure if the victim WAS a victim or part of some illegal activity gone bad.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Update

Shooting victim's family in 'state of shock'
    July 08, 2009 @ 11:35 PM

CURTIS JOHNSON

The Herald-Dispatch

ONA, W.Va. -- The void was indescribable Wednesday afternoon at the family home of shooting victim Billy James Jordan.

The 20-year-old Ona native died Tuesday from a single gunshot wound to the back. It occurred near the 900 block of 27th Street. Family said he had been staying at a cousin's residence in Huntington.

Investigators continued their search for clues Wednesday, as the family mourned and remembered the boy with baby blue eyes.

"I still don't believe it," said Angel Adkins, Jordan's girlfriend of five years. "I'm waiting for him to walk through the door, along with everybody else."

An autopsy Wednesday confirmed Jordan's cause of death, said Huntington Police Capt. Rick Eplin. He and Chief Skip Holbrook said detectives continued to conduct interviews Wednesday. They were close to identifying tentative suspects by midday, Eplin said. There was no firm determination of motive.

"It's all coming together pretty good. They are making good progress," Eplin said.

Detectives hoped to identify two assailants, whom witnesses said fled the scene.

Jordan's mother, Mona, believed she spoke with her son minutes before the would-be fatal shot. The cellular conversation took place about 3:56 p.m.

"He said, 'Mom, I'm in the middle of something,'" she said. "I can't remember the exact words he said, but he said 'I'll call you back.'"

The shooting was Huntington's first homicide this year. The last one occurred Dec. 3, 2008, in a year when city police investigated eight homicides. All but one case ended with an arrest.

Holbrook said violent crime is unpredictable. He credited the community with providing answers, which increased the solvability of prior cases. He hoped for similar assistance in solving Jordan's death.

Jordan is survived by his father, Bobby; mother, Mona; siblings, Christina Jordan Lewis, Bobby M. Jordan Jr., Kattie Marie Coleman Walters; and nephew Cole Coleman.

Mona Jordan described her son as outgoing and loved. He charmed everybody and frequently worked at his father's excavation business.

"I'm still in a state of shock," she said. "I just am without words. You question what God's plan is when he takes your 20-year-old son."

Adkins said she had been dating Jordan off and on, but things were going well, and the couple would occasionally discuss marriage. She remembered her boyfriend as a caring person, who gave fabulous foot massages and thought about others.

The shooting victim was scheduled to appear twice this month in Cabell County Magistrate Court, where records indicate he had misdemeanor domestic battery, driving under the influence, underage consumption, driving on a suspended/revoked license and marijuana possession charges pending.

Jordan's records also included seven earlier misdemeanors. He admitted to disorderly conduct in 2007, but most of the other cases were dismissed.

Adkins and his mother said they believe Jordan's prior history was irrelevant to this week's shooting.
    Shooting victim's family in 'state of shock' - The Herald Dispatch

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Two points from the follow-up story. Everybody (even BG's) has a mother who remembers the color of their eyes. The victim here wasn't exactly a boy scout....although I'm not suggesting that he deserved a bullet in the back.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Another Update

Suspect had prior drug charge

The Herald-Dispatch

CURTIS JOHNSON

Herald-Dispatch.com

HUNTINGTON — A suspected drug dealer now faces murder and armed robbery allegations. The most recent warrants were signed Tuesday in connection with last week’s shooting death of a man from Ona.

The warrants charge Thomas Antonio Redding, 20, of Macon, Ga., with first-degree murder and first-degree robbery.

Criminal complaints charge that Redding fatally shot Billy James Gregory Jordan, 20, during the commission of an armed robbery. It occurred July 7 at 9th Avenue and 27th Street.

Jordan met Redding at the location, so the victim could exchange money for drugs. The investigation shows that Redding stole $3,500 cash form the victim, the robbery complaint states. Witnesses and evidence obtained at the crime scene show that Redding was present and fired a weapon that struck Jordan, the murder complaint states.

Jordan later died at Cabell Huntington Hospital. Investigators said an autopsy determined the victim died from a single gunshot wound to the back.

Cabell County Magistrate Mike Woelfel denied bond for Redding at Tuesday’s video arraignment. A preliminary hearing was set for July 24.

Jordan’s sister, Kattie Walters, commended the Huntington Police Department for its quick arrest. Walters said she was unaware of the apparent drug connection until media reports surfaced Tuesday.

“The Huntington Police Department did a phenomenal job investigating Billy’s case,” she said. “We are just overwhelmed with the apprehension.”

Huntington Police Sgt. John Williams, lead detective on the case, was careful in commenting about the investigation. He expressed confidence in regards to the murder and robbery charges, but said another arrest may occur. He said detectives were trying to determine another person’s involvement and possible culpability. That person’s name was not released.

Woelfel signed the warrants as Redding sat in jail on an unrelated, felony bond revocation from last week. He was incarcerated at 6:15 p.m. Thursday. He was never released.

The bond revocation stems from a March 4 drug raid at a residence in the 1800 block of West 5th Avenue. Authorities nabbed three people, all from Macon, Ga., and seized $7,000 in crack cocaine, numerous weapons and an undisclosed amount of cash.

The Macon trio’s drug case was moved to Cabell Circuit Court on March 16. Prosecutors moved to revoke Redding’s bond on Thursday. An order followed, and Redding was returned to jail. The drug case remains in a bound over phase, as it waits presentment to the grand jury for possible indictment.

Family members said Jordan had been staying at a cousin’s residence in Huntington.

Jordan was scheduled to appear twice this month in Cabell County Magistrate Court, where records indicate he had misdemeanor domestic battery, driving under the influence, underage consumption, driving on a suspended/revoked license and marijuana possession charges pending.

Jordan’s record also included seven earlier misdemeanors. He admitted to disorderly conduct in 2007, but most of the other cases were dismissed.

Jordan’s girlfriend and mother said last week they believe Jordan's prior history was irrelevant to the fatal shooting. They remembered Jordan as an outgoing person, who charmed everybody and frequently worked at his father’s excavation business. The girlfriend declined comment Tuesday, and Walters spoke on behalf of the family.

The shooting was Huntington’s first homicide this year. The last one occurred Dec. 3, 2008, in a year when city police investigated eight homicides.
    Suspect had prior drug charge - The Herald Dispatch

Kind of figured drugs would be in this. Still sad though.

Bottom line: Criminals preying on criminals.

It is criminal to sell street drugs and engage in drug trade, as well as being quite dangerous.
    It is criminal to purchase and support street drugs and engage in drug trade, as well as being quite dangerous.

Although the Brady campaign will write this up as another generic gun related/reasoned killing and crime.

Truth is it's simply a crime related crime to which the tool of death should not be counted amongst that of others such as real and true victims like the couple shot in their home during a home invasion last week leaving behind 9 orphaned special needs children.

One is very much not like the other, even as neither person 'deserved' to die.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

You nailed it, Janq.

Criminal activity is dangerous and also deadly. Those are the consequences.

Unfortunately, there are the Darwin candidates who totally ignore this. The buyer really didn't need to be killed by the seller, but gambling with this scenario often has these results time and time again. They just never learn.

Sponsored Links