BAD: Another non hate crime in Akron

This is a discussion on BAD: Another non hate crime in Akron within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Akron police say they aren't ready to call it a hate crime or a gang initiation. But to Marty Marshall, his wife and two kids, ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BAD: Another non hate crime in Akron

Akron police say they aren't ready to call it a hate crime or a gang initiation.

But to Marty Marshall, his wife and two kids, it seems pretty clear.

It came after a family night of celebrating America and freedom with a fireworks show at Firestone Stadium. Marshall, his family and two friends were gathered outside a friend's home in South Akron.

Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.

The Marshalls, who are white, say the crowd of teens who attacked them and two friends June 27 on Girard Street numbered close to 50. The teens were all black.

''This was almost like being a terrorist act,'' Marshall said. ''And we allow this to go on in our neighborhoods?''

They said it started when one teen, without any words or warning, blindsided and assaulted Marshall's friend as he stood outside with the others.

When Marshall, 39, jumped in, he found himself being attacked by the growing group of teens.

His daughter, Rachel, 15, who weighs about 90 pounds, tried to come to his rescue. The teens pushed her to the ground.

His wife, Yvonne, pushed their son, Donald, 14, into bushes to keep him protected.

''My thing is,'' Marshall said, ''I didn't want this, but I was in fear for my wife, my kids and my friends. I felt I had to stay out there to protect them, because those guys were just jumping, swinging fists and everything.

''I'm lucky. They didn't break my ribs or bruise my ribs. I thank God, they concentrated on my thick head because I do have one. They were trying to take my head off my spine, basically.''

After several minutes of punches and kicks, the attack ended and the group ran off. The Marshalls' two adult male friends were not seriously hurt.

''I don't think I thought at that moment when I tried to jump in,'' Rachel Marshall said. ''But when I was laying on the ground, I was just scared.''

Marshall was the most seriously injured. He suffered a concussion and multiple bruises to his head and eye. He said he spent five nights in the critical care unit at Akron General Medical Center.

The construction worker said he now fears for his family's safety, and the thousands of dollars in medical bills he faces without insurance.

''I knew I was going to get beat, but not as bad as I did,'' Marshall said. ''But I did it to protect my family. I didn't have a choice. There was no need for this. We should be all getting along. But to me, it seems to be racist.''

Akron police are investigating. Right now, the case is not being classified as a racial hate crime. There were no other reports of victims assaulted by the group that night.

The department's gang unit is involved in the investigation, police said.

''We don't know if it's a known gang, or just a group of kids,'' police Lt. Rick Edwards said.

The Marshalls say they fear retaliation at home or when they go outside. They are considering arming themselves, but they're concerned about the possible problems that come with guns.

For now, they are hoping police can bring them suspects. They believe they can identify several of the attackers.

''This makes you think about your freedom,'' Marshall said. ''In all reality, where is your freedom when you have this going on?''

now I have to figure out how to carry 7 mags to account for 50 targets :-)
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Of course this is not a hate crime. White heterosexuals can never be victims of hate crimes. Only the protected sects of our citizenry can be victims. Too bad Mr. Marshall wasn't armed! It would have made my day to read that the assailants were in the morgue.

Crazy. More and more kids are becoming like savages instead of civilized people. It's either a gang thing or a hate crime ? Why can't it be both ?

Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.
    At the risk of sounding racist, I'm not but........

Since when? Since Obama got in office? Dont think so. This is America, not Africa. This kind of stuff really angers me. Why is it these can just use the race thing and nobody comes out condemning it. Must not be politically correct

Probably going to give these thugs a commendation for being proud of who they are in the face of white tyranny!

Too bad the victim wasn't packin' and took out a few of them.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

The guy spends five nights in critical care for a head injury from these ruffians and still isn't sure that arming himself is a good idea? Some people will just never get it I guess.
    When in doubt empty the magazine.

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy." - George Washington

Wait! You mean ir-Reverend Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson aren't out condemning this one? Oh the horror! Surprise surprise...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Definitely a hate crime. Definitely racist. Possibly gang-related, but may be just neighborhood stupidity/anger.

I heard one black person say that only whites could be racist, because the (their!) definition was that one had to be in the majority to be a racist. That absolves any other race/culture from being racist.

Wrong. It goes both ways.

Hate crime, indeed.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

VIP Member
    According to Eric Holder it is not a Hate Crime. The qualifier for a Hate Crime has to be historical and not hate itself.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

sounds like a hate crime/racists attack to me, but what do I know?

...Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family...

I couldn't care less if the attackers (crowd, group, gang, cluster, club) were black or white, but attack my family like that and it's going to get 'loud and flashy'...
    They could have just as easily killed, raped, robbed, or permanently injured innocent victims. I can remember stuff like this happening in Detroit, many years ago. The groups gang-raped girls down by Cobo Arena...victims were helpless. Animals like this are pretty stupid, but extremely dangerous. They feel safe in large groups and prosecuting such activity is difficult. Instant justice works.
    Watch the parents of these thugs crawl out from under rocks to praise their 'good boys' if any of them are sent to meet their maker.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Double Grrrrrr! :******:

Quote Originally Posted by MiloSC View Post
    The guy spends five nights in critical care for a head injury from these ruffians and still isn't sure that arming himself is a good idea? Some people will just never get it I guess.

Excellent point. I was thinking that too, Makes you wonder just what it would take....one more night in the hospital, or his daughter killed ?

I'm afraid that if dozens of people attacked my family [regardless of affiliation] that when the dust settled there would be a dozen or so fewer to attack the neighbors.

now I have to figure out how to carry 7 mags to account for 50 targets :-)
    Nope after the first mag all the little "darlings" you didn't drop will be so scared they will look like Michael Jackson as they run off
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Nope after the first mag all the little "darlings" you didn't drop will be so scared they will look like Michael Jackson as they run off
    ...and singing, "Beat It!"...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links