Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement

This is a discussion on Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Or dont' shoot an ungodly bad*ss. :) This is an April newstory. However, a poster in a different gun forum I read knows the survivor, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement

Or dont' shoot an ungodly bad*ss. :)

This is an April newstory. However, a poster in a different gun forum I read knows the survivor, Deric Hoffman. He shielded the boy they refer to. The story you will read says he was hit "several" times and wounded critically.

Police Report: Boy calls police to shooting site in East Memphis : Local News : Memphis Commercial Appeal

In actuality, he was hit 13 times with a .40. He lost three fingers and has some massive medical bills, but is otherwise OK. One other stroke of luck was that the attacker used FMJ instead of hollowpoints. Nonetheless, shot 13 times is shot 13 times. Incredible act of bad*ssery and heroism.

2. Remove Ads

That is incredible. One would think that the cumulative effects of 13 .40cal gunshot wounds would be more than enough to lead to death. What a lucky guy. This sounds like a case of good things happening to a good person. ( being alive, not being shot)

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Wow...that is amazing that he made it!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Well there was a BG guy shot 22 times COM by a cop with hollowpoints that kept returning fire until he dropped and didn't die til 5 minutes after the ambulance showed up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I was under the impression that BGs often used FMJ rather than hollowpoints due to price...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

This just reinforces what I believe.

There ain't no magic bullet and you need to put the bullets where they will do the most good.

I don't care to be shot with a bullet of any kind. One of my good friends has been shot three times, with a vest on each time. Even with a vest, he says it feels like getting hit with a baseball bat.

Back when I was riding bulls Donnie Gay used to say, "Getting hit by a bull's horns feels like George Brett hitting you with a baseball bat. That's no problem, we can handle that. It's the feet that will kill you."

I ain't as young as I once was, and I've been hooked and stepped on. The feet always did more damage. So, to make a short story longer, I'll wear my vest and hope that if I get hit, they hit the vest. I can handle that.

Biker

It also reinforces that "When it's your time, it's your time."...lucky guy.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    This just reinforces what I believe.

There ain't no magic bullet and you need to put the bullets where they will do the most good.

I don't care to be shot with a bullet of any kind. One of my good friends has been shot three times, with a vest on each time. Even with a vest, he says it feels like getting hit with a baseball bat.

Back when I was riding bulls Donnie Gay used to say, "Getting hit by a bull's horns feels like George Brett hitting you with a baseball bat. That's no problem, we can handle that. It's the feet that will kill you."

I ain't as young as I once was, and I've been hooked and stepped on. The feet always did more damage. So, to make a short story longer, I'll wear my vest and hope that if I get hit, they hit the vest. I can handle that.

Biker
    I would liken being hit by a bull to be more like being hit by a small car. Atleast that is what it felt like to me.

Without hitting major bone structure or blood vessels, the kid had essentially 13 "ice pick" wounds. Not that I would trade places with him! But my point is that FMJ's don't do a huge amount of damage.

I'm glad the boy survived!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Don't forget the Miami bank robbers and the FBI. They absorbed I don't know how many shots and kept shooting.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Don't forget the Miami bank robbers and the FBI. They absorbed I don't know how many shots and kept shooting.
    Really only one did. One of the two was out of the action almost immediately, then came to near the end and crawled over to the other car. Almost all of the damage was done by the other one.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    "Placement" for sure.

One of the old Wild West bandits, in the Dalton gang?, soaked up a lot of lead several times before he finally died. Maybe some people are just resistant to that sort of shock?

I'm not volunteering to find out if I'm one.

IMO, the big problem with the Miami shoot out was not inadequate firepower, but inadequate weapon retention. Go back to the reports and see how many of the agents _put_their_handguns_on_the_seat_next_to_them_. The agents hit the brakes and the gun hit the foot well, out of reach. No one addressed that point in the discussions, it was all "more firepower needed".

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    You gotta turn off the electricity or the plumbing...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PointnClick View Post
    You gotta turn off the electricity or the plumbing...
    +1....

I cant help my self...

Stay armed... be tough.. stay safe.

(sorry ret I cant help myself today)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links