A CAutionary Tale

A CAutionary Tale

This is a discussion on A CAutionary Tale within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Worth reading. Mistakes were made, a price was paid, all in all, a positive outcome. http://www.oregonfirearms.org/commen...ftermath1.html...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A CAutionary Tale

A CAutionary Tale

Worth reading. Mistakes were made, a price was paid, all in all, a positive outcome.

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/commen...ftermath1.html

JT
    Good read. Thanks for posting.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Assistant Administrator
    That is quite some tale - and highlights the internal upheaval folks can suffer after an event, not to mention litigious aspects.

From that I reckon most can learn the need for appreciating just what the responsibility is they embrace thru carrying - it is not as simple as some would have them believe.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1952 - 2006
    Thanks for posting that. Good read, good story.

I was involved in something similar many years ago.

I was staying with a friend, for a night, who was afraid of her ex-BF. I providing her with some security and serenity in her own home.

The ex kept calling and threatening her. after about the 6th call I took the phone and told this dirt bag just what I thought of his cowardice in making threats to a defenseless woman. He related that he was going to come over and teach me a lesson about messing with his GF. I told him, with her listening on the extension, that if he felt froggy, then he should come over and jump.

He related that he was on his way over. I telephone the police and informed them that I thought he was coming over with violence on his mind and was informed by the dispatcher to call back if he actually showed up. (big help).

Well, he arrived and pulled up in front of her house parking on the street facing the wrong way and got out of his car. I stood on the front porch with my (now Chris') mod 686, loaded with 160 JSP. When I told him the police were on their way he replied that it would be too late by the time they got there and proceeded to pull a long barreled shotgun from his back seat.

I pointed the 686 at him and yelled for him to stop or be shot. He continued to pull the shotgun out and I fired one round into the engine block of his little Datsun. The round apparently penetrated the engine block because there was a giant gush of oil that poured out from under his car. I then yelled that the next one was going into his chest and he stopped, followed my directions and layed on the grass in the prone position until police arrived.

When the police arrived they took custody of his shotgun and found cocaine and pot in his car and on his person. They informed me that in a similar situation they would have shot him. I said this is California and I probably couldn't have gotten away with that.

There were never any charges filed against me. He went to jail for being a felon in possesion of a firearm as well as drug charges and as far as I know she has never heard from him again.

I feel very fortunate that I didn't have to shoot him.

Firing the warning shot, while not the best or smartest move, did de-escalate the situation and made a good outcome for all concerned.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - goes to prove that we can't make hard and fast rules - ''play it as you see it'' has to be the way.

Glad that turned out OK. Bit of interesting provinence on the 686 eh!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Very nice read, A good example of how your fight can really begin with pulling the trigger, not end like most would think.

Glad to hear it worked out in the end.

Does anyone know what the time limit is on filling a civil suit like they did two years later?
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son
    Very nice read, A good example of how your fight can really begin with pulling the trigger, not end like most would think.

Glad to hear it worked out in the end.

Does anyone know what the time limit is on filling a civil suit like they did two years later?
    The statute of limitations varies by state, and by case type, but is generally 2 - 3 years.

Matt

This is exactly why I preach 'me or mine'.

There is no reason I should put me or my family thru what this guy went thru.

Everyone has the ability to prepare and defend themselves and theirs. If they do not choose to do so, it is unfortunate, but so be it.

Yes it is callus, but is someone else going to pay my families bills, take care of my 75 year old wife if I am in jail because I defended someone who could have defended themself??

My only exception is a child.

Cynical? Yes. Realistic? Yes.

I am very thankful this person recovered.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I am fortunate that the state of Florida would not allow a civil suit to follow a shooting ruled justified.

I'm not going to revist the subject of intervention, that was fairly well covered in a thread on the subject, with a poll.

All states need to follow Florida's lead on that situation.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madmike
    I am fortunate that the state of Florida would not allow a civil suit to follow a shooting ruled justified.
    Damn skippy. Same here in Colorado.

All states need to follow Florida's lead on that situation.

mm
    I'm happy for Floridians, but why does everybody say "Follow Florida's example"... Colorado had the Castle Doctrine, no duty to retreat and no lawsuits for justified shootings years before Florida.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    I'm happy for Floridians, but why does everybody say "Follow Florida's example"... Colorado had the Castle Doctrine, no duty to retreat and no lawsuits for justified shootings years before Florida.
    Because thanks to the Brady Bunch, everyone knows about Florida's "horrible gun laws". Because they didn't throw a hissy about Colorado, everyone believes that Florida pioneered it...

Matt

VIP Member
    ...thank God for true "common sense" laws in FL.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

A very good read.

In a situation like this though I would not sit at the womans home.
    Get her away and out of there to spend the night at one's own home, her parents home, that of a friend, a motel, anywhere else but where the jerk BF knows.
    Additionally why tell the BG the cops are on the way, of course he's going to leave and the cops arrive just after.

Anyway I feel for this guy all the way around.
    Again an excellent tale.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I tell ya, I agree with KC135 that I will only protect family. In this world we live you just never know what people are thinking. It kinda like a slippery slope you wish you did not have to carry and all was well utopian, but on the other when you need a weapon you never have one. So, why not carry. I don't know, thats why I stay out of bad areas like bars, and places where problems could kick off. I also try my best to not be out at 12 midnight or there after. Its the world we live in I guess.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

when the parents of the deceased sues, i wonder if a counter suit can be mounted, or you can 3rd party the plaintiff into their own lawsuit for failure to properly raise their son. boy. wouldn't that open up some doors.
    john

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links