Good: Pizza man shoots robber

This is a discussion on Good: Pizza man shoots robber within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Again, a pizza, a robbery, a gunshot: Another Lexington delivery man wounds holdup suspect By JOHN MONK - jmonk@thestate.com A Papa John’s pizza delivery man ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good: Pizza man shoots robber

Good: Pizza man shoots robber

Again, a pizza, a robbery, a gunshot:
    Another Lexington delivery man wounds holdup suspect

By JOHN MONK - jmonk@thestate.com

A Papa John’s pizza delivery man shot and wounded a 17-year-old who called in a pizza order and then robbed him at a vacant house with a fake handgun, the Lexington County Sheriff’s Department said.

The incident occurred July 5, but deputies delayed announcing it until Monday — a day after the teen was charged with robbery, and eight days after the shooting.

It was the second time in recent months that a pizza delivery man in Lexington County has shot someone trying to rob him.

The other incident was March 7, when a Pizza Hut delivery man shot and killed a 17-year-old assailant who was beating him. Deputies have arrested three other teens in that Irmo-area incident.

But neither pizza delivery man is facing charges, since authorities have ruled both shootings were in self-defense. The two delivery men carried concealed-weapon permits, deputies said.

In the most recent shooting, Sheriff James Metts is withholding the name of the pizza delivery man. He said Monday through a spokesman that deputies feared for the man’s safety — but would not give details of any threats.

The suspect, Raymond Antonio Metze, 17, of 212 Crestridge Drive, Lexington, was booked Sunday at the Lexington County Detention Center on charges of armed robbery and possessing a weapon during the commission of a violent crime. He is in jail under $100,000 bond.

A black BB pistol that resembled a semiautomatic handgun was used in the robbery, a Sheriff’s Department spokesman said.

Metze was at Palmetto Health Richland for more than a week, though details of his treatment were not released. He got out of the hospital Sunday night.

The July 5 shooting occurred in the Red Bank area of Lexington County, about a mile west of White Knoll High School.

According to warrants and reports from deputies, shortly before midnight, the 29-year-old delivery man — from Papa John’s on 3937 Platt Springs Road — brought pizza to 236 Crestridge Drive. The home was vacant.

After the delivery man knocked on the front door, a man came from the side of the house with what appeared to be a handgun and demanded cash.

The pizza delivery man gave him a little more than $200.

As the pizza delivery man left, the suspect kept pointing his fake pistol at him. Not knowing it was fake and only fired BBs, the pizza man pulled his handgun. It was real, a 9mm semiautomatic.
    He fired one shot, wounding the suspect in his chest.

The suspect fled and the pizza delivery man called 911. Acting on a neighbor’s tip, deputies found the suspect within minutes, lying on a porch of a nearby house.

The suspect was airlifted to Palmetto Health Richland.

Metts said the unidentified pizza delivery man was not charged because he acted in self-defense. Deputies and the 11th Circuit solicitor’s office made the determination.

In the March shooting, pizza delivery man Christopher Miller, 43, from an Irmo-area Pizza Hut, voluntarily agreed to have his name released to the public, the Sheriff’s Department said.

The Papa John’s pizza man, a spokesman added, wants confidentiality.

2. Remove Ads

Good job pizza man. Unfortunately, according to Gerald Celente, this is the kind of thing we will only be seeing more and more of in days to come.
    AT3 (O-Level) United States Navy - NRA Life Member
    "Molan labe! Just try... I'll show you the strength of my conviction... and I'll sleep well that night..."

Better ingredients,better tasting,better delivery,Papa Johns,As long as they don't get fired for SD,I will be buying nothing but PJ's pizza I love a business that allows its employees the ability to deliver on time ....Pizza or lead you decide
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Don't bring a BB gun to a gun fight.

Sounds like the Delivery guy did what he could...gave up the money but the BG just had to push it.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Good for him!

I hope Papa John's has a better policy with respect to this type of thing than Pizza Hut......
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I wonder how big the BG eyes got when he saw the papa johns guy pull out his gun?

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by llred View Post
    I wonder how big the BG eyes got when he saw the papa johns guy pull out his gun?

Probably as big as that pizza.

VIP Member

Small cheese and 'lead' to go...I like it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like the punk got what he deserved

1 shot, 1 hit...Sounds like a good placement!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

I hope the BG has to pay the hospital bill too. Airlifted and a week in the hospital....he's going to need a little more than the 2 bills he got from the pizza man.
    You'd think the clowns in that town would learn to leave the pizza men alone, they REALLY deliver ,center of mass.

Another school has lost an honor student

/sarcasm.

Some of those neighborhoods are like little Mogadishu's, where civilized people cannot travel even in passing. To deliver pizza? Forget it!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Excellent job, Pizza Man! And Kudos to the local Deputies and the 11th Circuit solicitor’s office for making the determination NOT to file any charges.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links