5 Police Officers Shot, 2 Suspects Killed in Gunbattle

This is a discussion on 5 Police Officers Shot, 2 Suspects Killed in Gunbattle within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 5 Police Officers Shot, 2 Suspects Killed in Gunbattle in New Jersey Thursday, July 16, 2009 Print ShareThisFive police officers were shot and two suspects ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

5 Police Officers Shot, 2 Suspects Killed in Gunbattle in New Jersey
    Thursday, July 16, 2009

Print ShareThisFive police officers were shot and two suspects killed in an early-morning shootout Thursday in Jersey City, N.J., according to Police Chief Thomas J. Comey.

The primary suspect was carrying an automatic weapon, said Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy.

The shootout happened during an active criminal investigation of the suspects, Comey said.

"These individuals were being sought by our department for a major crime," he told reporters Thursday. "This individual (and his accomplice) came ready to go to war with us."

He declined to say what "major crime" the suspects were believed to have committed.

One of the officers was in critical condition after having been shot in the face and almost losing his life, and another was seriously injured with gun wounds to the chest and neck, Healy said. The others' injuries weren't life-threatening.

"It was a terrible gunfight," said the mayor.

Three more who weren't shot also were hurt in the gunbattle. The wounded officers were taken to Jersey City Medical Center.

The area of the shooting is known for heavy drug activity, FOX 5 reported.

A car that may have been involved in the shootout was loaded onto a flatbed tow truck about 9 a.m. Thursday.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Hmmmm....didn't release the names of the suspects. Don't suppose they might be undocumented workers, do you? Just asking, since New Jersey seems to have a lot of sanctuary cities.
    area of the shooting is known for heavy drug activity
    Double Hmmmm......

These guys had automatic weapons? There should be a LAW against having those, at least some special kind of license or something to control who gets them.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    This is an excerpt from the NY Times article on it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/ny....html?_r=1&hpw

“These individuals were sought by our department,” Chief Comey said. “This individual came to us fully ready to go to war with us. That weapon was meant to hunt nothing other than men.
    Note the typical plug for gun control. I think Chief Comey should be more concerned with his men. But I guess that's Jersey politics for you.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Hmmmm....didn't release the names of the suspects. Don't suppose they might be undocumented workers, do you? Just asking, since New Jersey seems to have a lot of sanctuary cities.

Double Hmmmm......
    Well NJ has a problem with everything. I would not say undocumented workers are the biggest problem. And there are plenty of regular old Americans running around in NJ committing crimes. My guess is that it was someone from the Newark and JC drug world but who knows.

Sometimes I wonder how I spent 30 years in NJ without getting shot.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Yikes! That's bad.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

I may piss some LEOs off but if you are there to arrest someone for a major crime and you have 5 LEOs to their 2 and the drop on them and they still manage to shoot 2 of the LEOs and wound the rest you need to be looking at your training and tactics not the weapon they were carrying

I wonder if that automatic weapon was the Glock revolver, the ceramic glock, a pump-action machine gun, or some other evil device invented by the NRA to kill innocent children? I bet it even had those legendary cop-killer bullets in it.

Doesn't Jersey have a no carry law? How did the bad guys get their hands on automatic weapons? OMG they have no respect for the gun control laws.

I hope all the injured officers have a speedy recovery. I am glad they are all safe.

From NJ handgun law:

It is the expresses policy of New Jersey legislative and law enforcement authorities that the carrying of a handgun on one's person be strictly limited only to those earning a living through the carrying of a handgun. Thoretically, there exists a route to legal carry of a handgun by a civilian, but in reality, such is practically nonexistant.

In New Jersey, firearm owners are required to get a lifetime Firearm Purchaser card for the purchase of rifles, shotguns or handguns. To purchase a handgun, a separate permit is needed from the local police department for each handgun to be purchased and expires after 90 days. NJ law says that the handgun purchase permit must be issued within 30 days, but it is not uncommon for it to take several months to be issued. Capacities of semiautomatic handguns and rifles (total in magazine excluding chamber) are limited to 15 rounds or less. New Jersey also bans the use of hollowpoint ammunition in most circumstances. New Jersey has its own ban on various semi-automatic firearms as well.[152] Police are bound by the Assault Weapons Ban (AWB) in NJ and cannot own those firearms unless they are signed off by the Chief as used in an official capacity. They are exempt from the magazine limits when used in a duty/off duty firearm and approved by the department.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

This has to be untrue, there are no guns in N.J........there is a law right ? I'm shocked that criminals would violate the guns laws like that.

VIP Member
    The loss of life is tragic, but why didn't they go after these guys with a SWAT team or something?

I just saw the story on the news. My prayers are with the officers and their families.

They had a whole story on how dangerous and deadly pump action shotguns are. And they had an LEO demonstrating its power, and saying that it was faster than most semi auto handguns. I wanted to puke.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

While I agree that the loss of life is tragic, if they were trying to kill LEO's, the loss of life is better than tax money being used to incarcerate them. My prayers go out to the injured LEO's.

Joker1

A little off topic,

(but in the ballpark), since it looks good in the polls for Christie to defeat the liberal Corzine for the Governors mansion, has anyone any info on Christie's record regarding his stance on second ammendment freedoms?
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Oh well, that new law that they can only sell one gun to retailers per month that is being signed into law might fix this problem. The guns will run out and the only way the bad guys can get one is to go to another state and get them illegally but we ALL know they would absolutely NEVER do that!!
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links