Bad: Shooting at the "Pig"

This is a discussion on Bad: Shooting at the "Pig" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is bad on so many levels. In a similar situation as a customer in the store what would you do? Myself I think I ...

Thread: Bad: Shooting at the "Pig"

VIP Member

Bad: Shooting at the "Pig"

This is bad on so many levels. In a similar situation as a customer in the store what would you do? Myself I think I would take cover and see what develops before taking any action and be a good witness unless I was directly threatened.

Police: Butcher kills romantic rival in Piggly Wiggly

Three customers and 10 other employees were in the store at the time, but no one else was injured, Young said.

Police arrested the butcher, identified as Aubrey Odum, 28, and charged him with murder.

Young said Odum's ex-girlfriend, Victoria Blackwell, went to the Piggly Wiggly Thursday morning with her new boyfriend, Brian McLean, 35, and her cousin. McLean went to the back of the store to confront Odum over something, and an altercation ensued, Young said.

It was unclear why McLean confronted Odum, he said.

"What I understand is that there was some type of domestic situation that took place between the two men," Laurinburg Police Capt. Kimothy Monroe said.

Blackwell, who didn't go inside the store, had tipped Odum off that McLean planned to confront him at the store, Young said, so Odum armed himself with a small-caliber handgun.

Odum shot McLean three times, including once in the back, and he staggered to the front of the store before collapsing near the checkout register. Young said.

Paramedics took McLean to Scotland Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Odum, who had two children with Blackwell, ages 2 and 5, then drove over to the Laurinburg police station and surrendered.

"That's an unusual situation for us and took us by surprise," Monroe said. "He actually walked in with the gun and said, 'I'm the one who did the shooting.' Just like that."

Odum told investigators that he often carries a gun to work, Monroe said, despite that fact that he doesn't have a concealed weapons permits and Piggly Wiggly policy prohibits firearms in the store.

Store employees declined to talk after the incident, but Kevin Gibson, who works at a neighboring mechanic's shop and often spoke with Odum, said the bloodshed came out of the blue.

"Nothing seemed odd this morning at all," Gibson said. "He always seemed like a nice gentleman."

Reporter: Bryan Mims
    Photographer: Michael Joyner
    Web Editor: Matthew Burns
    http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5587448/
    Last edited by msgt/ret; July 16th, 2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Added link
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't do anything, as a witness.

Ever try to break up two dogs fighting who don't know you?
    They both turn, on you.

Besides what fool confronts a butcher on the job behind the counter.
    Butchers are armed with big knives! Duh.

I hope dude beats a murder rap on the grounds of self defense.
    But he will have to ride out a carrying of a firearm without a license charge regardless. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Well, he might get off on self defense, which is often an affirmative defense in not having a permit. I pesonally would not pick a fight with an on duty butcher, but that's just me.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

There is always a situation where the new BF of the x GF or wife has to play tough guy and get inbetween whatever problems thyey may have as far as child visitation etc.It's very possible that he may get off on a SD defense,but won't beat the unlawful conceal charge.As far as what I would do is be a good witness unless the shooter threatens me or mine etc.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I know here, shooting in the back is a no-no. The threat is no longer present when the BG is running away. Because of this, I think he may have a problem with it being SD.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Loadedtech View Post
    I know here, shooting in the back is a no-no. The threat is no longer present when the BG is running away.
    How did you conclude the BG was "running away"?
    He was shot several times "including" once in the back.
    Maybe the shot to the back occurred during a struggle.
    Such as "He lashed out with a butcher knife, missed and as he spun, I shot. He kept coming, I didn't know if I had hit him or not. I fired again."
    Maybe it was the first shot, and didn't end the struggle.

So the "lady" sends her new boyfriend in to pick a fight, but tips off Odem to the ensuing fight first. Nice.

VIP Member
    Blackwell, who didn't go inside the store, had tipped Odum off that McLean planned to confront him at the store, Young said, so Odum armed himself with a small-caliber handgun.
    I'd say Ms Blackwell plan to get rid of both men worked. As the instigator I think she should be held responsible as well, but will probably get away free and clear.

Guns- The story reads 3 shots fired, and I just stated it doesnt look good, here in VA if the bg is shot in the back, which generally shows retreat. The story doesnt give a blow by blow of how it went down. There will be situations where a shot in the back would be justified, ie you walk up on BG in the act of physical harm of a family member, or as you said. I just remembered our CHP instructor saying not to shoot in the back because it may not look good for you, thats all.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

this Ms. Blackwell seems to be a real piece of work....one dead, and possibly one life ruined.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    "Odum told investigators that he often carries a gun to work, Monroe said, despite that fact that he doesn't have a concealed weapons permits and Piggly Wiggly policy prohibits firearms in the store."

What? a criminal (he WAS by accounts carrying illegally) didn't heed the no guns policy? Shocking. Sounds like they were all dirt bags.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Sounds like she was playing them against each other.... maybe she should be the one charged too.

Links