Child shoots intruder - Page 2

Child shoots intruder

This is a discussion on Child shoots intruder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This case presents an interesting dilemma to gun rights supporters, and you can see it in many of the comments already posted. On the one ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Child shoots intruder

This case presents an interesting dilemma to gun rights supporters, and you can see it in many of the comments already posted. On the one hand, we advocate the notion that we live in what should be a free society where citizens can keep and bear arms free of infringement from the government. We strongly object to the notion of reasonable gun control where the government can mandate for example that guns can only be kept in the home, unloaded, disabled, locked, and secured from easy access, etc.

Well, should we be free to make individual choices about self defense of our own families or should we as a society make those judgments and enforce our collective judgment through the government? You can't have it both ways, and that's what we see in many of the comments so far. Who can make a better judgment about the welfare and safety of these two children? You, the government, or the parent? Keep in mind that if we're going to judge, we should have to make that judgment in advance, not after the fact, just like this parent did. Keep in mind that, in advance, society's judgment will be freedom or gun control. Which do you support?

Janq- Great story, sounds like you have a wonderful family there, my 3 and 9y/o are the same way.

I feel the same as most of you- great job on the kid saving himself and his sister. But not a good feeling about the gun in the house loaded and accessible to them. Also, isn't there a law about how old a child has to be, to be left home alone, let alone babysitting a sibling? My girl had to take a day off work just last week because our baby sitter couldn't watch or 9y/o. Leaving her by herself is not an option at 9 years old. Most likely different per state.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I don't think anyone here advocates leaving a hot weapon within reach of unsupervised children; but we can all agree that the level of danger depends on the maturity of the kid in question, something only the parent is qualified to determine. Sure, there are parents out there who aren't as mature as some 10 year olds I know, but the alternative is government-regulated parenting--the absolute last straw when it comes to invasive governing.

Things worked out well in this case and probably not because of pure chance. Having a loaded gun in the house, accessible to at least one kid, turned out to save them both. And, as the Bradys are so fond of saying: "If it saves ONE child..."

There are other things I would like to know, particularly Why did these thugs choose THAT apartment?

Nevertheless, they weren't invited and, as far as I'm concerned, they got far less than what they deserved. I say we put together a scholarship fund for that kid to get some range time and work on his aim. Dead offenders never become repeat offenders.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

There's no age limit in LA. Here's a state by state chart of ages, ages with asterisks are guidelines only. Some state's laws say as young as 8 or as old as 14. I think it should go by child's maturity level, how they deal with problems, and how long they are left alone; but then, admittedly, you're relying on the parent's maturity level as well. This is a perfect reason to train kids early whether or not there is a gun in the home - friend's parents may have one not secured. At least the kid doesn't have to deal with actually killing someone in addition to experiencing a violent attack.

Jang, you should tell your daughter she can be a "shooter and a mommy" :).

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Jang, you should tell your daughter she can be a "shooter and a mommy" :).
    That was my exact response as I stated to her that Julie Goloski, from S&W, is a mommy and a shooter!
    She replied looking annoyed; "I just want to be a mommy. That's all."

It'd be okay by me if they don't grow up to be a "shooter" or not even be interested in guns down the road.
    But they will know how to run one and be functional, so as to be able to save their own skin as this boy did in the story. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by NYCMedic View Post
    Thank G-d the kids are ok, but were they home alone? Little kids home alone with access to a firearm??? This quote is as clear as it gets, "He did what I told him to do. I never told him to get the gun..." Was he told or never told?
    More questions than answers.
    Once & a while the ends justify the means.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

So glad the kids are safe, but no way in the world should a ten-year-old boy have the responsibility to care for himself and sister. Times have changed dramatically from when I was that age, and that particular neighborhood is dangerous.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

The kids are safe......the dirtbags are in jail (should be dead).

Thankfully, this kid was brave enough to handle the situation.

Why were these dirtbags out on the street anyway?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

One guess in the great state of LA!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    I don't think anyone here advocates leaving a hot weapon within reach of unsupervised children; but we can all agree that the level of danger depends on the maturity of the kid in question, something only the parent is qualified to determine. Sure, there are parents out there who aren't as mature as some 10 year olds I know, but the alternative is government-regulated parenting--the absolute last straw when it comes to invasive governing.

Things worked out well in this case and probably not because of pure chance. Having a loaded gun in the house, accessible to at least one kid, turned out to save them both. And, as the Bradys are so fond of saying: "If it saves ONE child..."

There are other things I would like to know, particularly Why did these thugs choose THAT apartment?

Nevertheless, they weren't invited and, as far as I'm concerned, they got far less than what they deserved. I say we put together a scholarship fund for that kid to get some range time and work on his aim. Dead offenders never become repeat offenders.
    Many or even most of the folks here where I grew up had full access to loaded weapons when growing up. The difference is we wre trained that they were not toys. I spent hours at a time laying on the floor of the living room dry firing my dads 1898 Springfield while my parents watched me. This was in grade school. I have no problem with children who are trained by their parents being around loaded weapons.

The boy did exactly right. Both he and his parents should be applauded.

Michael

This sounds like a real nightmare for parents. Your kid has to defend himself from home invasion while home alone. A real eye opener for all parents out there.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Why were these dirtbags out on the street anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    One guess in the great state of LA!
    I'll not take this too seriously because I know this is all "just pokin fun" stuff, but Louisiana is our home and I'd be remiss to just sit here silent.

I've lived here all of my life, my wife and I have 30+ years in our respective careers, our adult kids have chosen to live here and pursue their careers as well. If politics, crime, economics, etc. were as bad as out-of-state folks perceive we'd been gone long ago.......but it's not and we like our home state. No, of course I don't like everything that happens in our state, but who does?

Ok, fair is fair, please name me any State that hasn't had a recently released criminal commit a crime.

I know that dealing with habitual criminals is frustrating but it's everywhere, and not just a "state of LA" thing.

Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    "deputies say the boy fired a bullet into the lip of Roderick Porter."

Good shooting.

... I am a little concerned that the children had access to the gun, this could have been one of those brohter accidentaly shots sister stories.
    What a country of linguini spined whimps we have turned into!!!! I got my first BB gun when I was 4 and by the time I was 10 I had a gun rack in my room which held a Remington Nylon 66, Remington pump in 16 ga, British MK IV in .303, M-1 carbine and at 12 I got my first Garand.

I lived in a rural community and during hunting season we took our shotguns to school on the bus and then walked home through some abandoned stone quarry property shooting rabbits, squirrels and quail.

The problem is today’s society, lack of personal responsibility and lack of raising children with even a modicum of discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    What a country of linguini spined whimps we have turned into!!!! I got my first BB gun when I was 4 and by the time I was 10 I had a gun rack in my room which held a Remington Nylon 66, Remington pump in 16 ga, British MK IV in .303, M-1 carbine and at 12 I got my first Garand.

I lived in a rural community and during hunting season we took our shotguns to school on the bus and then walked home through some abandoned stone quarry property shooting rabbits, squirrels and quail.

The problem is today’s society, lack of personal responsibility and lack of raising children with even a modicum of discipline.
    +1

Michael

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links