If I Wanted To Kill Him, I Could Have, Cop Shooting Suspect Says

This is a discussion on If I Wanted To Kill Him, I Could Have, Cop Shooting Suspect Says within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Suspect is wanted for shooting game warden. He has been on the run for 2 days. I don't have any other info on the armed ...

Suspect is wanted for shooting game warden. He has been on the run for 2 days. I don't have any other info on the armed homeowner.

?If I Wanted To Kill Him, I Could Have,? Cop Shooting Suspect Says - Central Florida News 13

‘If I Wanted To Kill Him, I Could Have,’ Cop Shooting Suspect Says
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:51:28 AM

Reported by Jacqueline Fell

MELBOURNE -- The man arrested Friday for shooting a Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officer said he spared the officer’s life.

“If I wanted to kill him, I could have, but I shot him in his vest on purpose,” Christopher Eddy said moments after he surrendered to law enforcement following a 46-hour manhunt for the gunman who shot Officer Vann Streety Wednesday.

“It was probably about 30 minutes later. They set up a permiter. They couldnt find him,” said Maj. Andrew Walters, with the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office. “He immediately appeared from the beach dunes, and they took him into custody without incident.”

Eddy tried to steal a car in the Melbourne Beach area, but an armed homeowner confronted him. Eddy took off running down the coast.

“He kept yelling out to the homeowner that he was homeless -- ‘I’m homeless’ -- but he did see a firearm,” Walters said.

Law enforcement officials said Eddy took them to a makeshift camp site he constructed. Sheriff’s officials said Eddy had a rough couple of nights, and they almost did not recognize him.

“It looks like he’s been out all night long, bug bitten and pretty miserable,” Walters said.

Eddy told deputies he wanted to give himself up and tell his side of the story.

“I felt my freedom was being violated, because they had me in some wrong -- it was just unjust, the way they treated me, because they pulled me over, and they gave me some traffic tickets, and then they sent me right to the court,” Eddy said as he was being taken into custody.

“All I want is a peaceful life,” Eddy added after saying he could have fatally wounded Streety if he wanted.
    to the homeowner.

Somewhat different version here. Mentions homeowner chases suspect, does not mention that the homeowner is armed.
    http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/307170006
    Last edited by miklcolt45; July 18th, 2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: add link
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

If I wanted to kill him, I could have"

Seems to me, the alert homeowner could say the very same thing...

close to home......

The area where he was when he shot the FWC officer is where I do my target shooting. It is a sorta' 'wild'area, out in the 'boonies' so to speak. There are many 'squatters' and anti social sort out there. Great practice for S/A when I am out target shooting.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Wow, this guy has seen too many movies. Shooting center of mass on a cop, regardless of vest, is still a very bad scenario for this guy. He's lucky they didn't unload on him.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    The area where he was when he shot the FWC officer is where I do my target shooting. It is a sorta' 'wild'area, out in the 'boonies' so to speak. There are many 'squatters' and anti social sort out there. Great practice for S/A when I am out target shooting.
    I hope you carry a loaded concealed firearm on you even when target shooting,I know a lot of people only have one firearm but in that situation at least keep one loaded magazine available in case somebody with evil intentions waits til your empty then trys to jack you
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    There are many 'squatters' and anti social sort out there.
    I went dirt bike riding in the Ocala National Forest, lots of back roads.
    I ran into some campsites where I'm glad I had plenty of gas. Talk about living off the grid....phew! I didn't think those things existed.

Shooting Officer COM equals attempted murder. Whether or not he could have killed him.
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

I almost retired to Hog Valley in the ONF. My kind of place!
    --
    If I'm repeating myself, or repeating myself differently, it's probably 'cause of the brain cells I've murdered and the selective memory caused by concussions, contusions and confusions. Oh yeah, and that one night in Dallas.

NRA-Life Member
    ATA- Life Member
    --Guns? What guns?--

Well......

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I hope you carry a loaded concealed firearm on you even when target shooting,I know a lot of people only have one firearm but in that situation at least keep one loaded magazine available in case somebody with evil intentions waits til your empty then trys to jack you
    That 'ain't a bad idea! I gave m Keltec P3AT to my son when I picked up my Kimber. I really do need to think about a BUG.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

I sure hope he was'nt a CWP holeder, He would make us look bad, But he'll get life W/O porole hope ;-)
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Moderator
    He's well and truly hosed. He appeared before a judge today and was, properly, denied bail.

The ironic thing is he was on camera when he was arrested, and said he was just trying to protect his "freedom".

I suspect he's seen the last freedom he'll enjoy for the next quarter century....
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Vann was a friend of mine several years ago until he moved south. I am glad to hear he is ok. I didn't even know he went LEO. He was still a Paramedic when he left here.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

He spared the 'Fish and Feathers' officer's life by shooting him in the vest? Yeah right......see ya' in 25 years to life...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have it on good authority that getting shot in the vest is like being hit with a baseball bat.

In short, not something one does willingly unless they are a few cards shy of a full deck. My prayers to the Bunny Cop.

Biker

Links