Use of K-9 officer

Use of K-9 officer

This is a discussion on Use of K-9 officer within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In Fresno, CA a couple of days ago, there was a deranged man who went to a tire store with a weapon, and threatened the ...

Use of K-9 officer

In Fresno, CA a couple of days ago, there was a deranged man who went to a tire store with a weapon, and threatened the owner. The owner called the police, and the first unit that arrived got one through the windshield, wounding the officer in the shoulder, he survived. Backup was called and the place was surrounded with the SWAT team. No one knew exactly where the gunman was, so the K-9 unit sent in ‘one of their officers’. The results were predictable, the dog was shot, and the perp was permanently taken out by the SWAT team. The dog did survive, though without an eye, and probably substantial brain damage. The police chief heaped praise on the ‘member of the police force’ for his brave actions - taking one for the department.

Now, all I see is dirty pool here. The police knew the deranged gunman was going to do what deranged gunmen do. The dog did what it was trained to do, find and attack. My unbounded vitriol anger is directed toward the FPD for sending ‘one of their officers’ into harms way, knowing the most probable outcome.

Do other municipalities have different rules of engagement for k-9 units?

My nephew is a K-9 officer, and I can't speak for him, but I would imagine the situation would depend upon who else was in danger at the time.
    No K-9 handler wants to lose his best partner, but the dog is more expendable than another human...either cop or victim.

OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    FYI - the post has nothing to do with personal defense articles in the news. There's another topic header for Law Enforcement, Military, and Homeland Security discussions.

Just a reminder - Cheers
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Doesn't any officer with 2 legs or 4 know that everyday that they suit up in may be their last? Don't know the if there were hostages in the store but I know it takes time, money, land a lot of love to train and work side by side with a K-9 partner, but no matter the cost for the dog it is cheaper to replace the dog than to have an officer get disabled or killed in the line of duty. Basic business decision.

They may of sent the dog in to locate the suspect and even tho the dog was shot the BG was distracted long enough for the Swat Team to stop the threat.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A K-9 is a law enforcement tool used for furtherance of the mission. A K-9 tasked into a SWAT mission is often called upon to do this type of work. Sounds like the tool selected for the job worked perfectly here.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Administrator
    That is exactly what a K9 is supposed to do. Thats exactly why there is a K9 program in the first place. The dog risks his life so a man does not have to.

Sure, its tough to hoist the dog into a building knowing it may be the last time you see him alive, but I'd rather loose the dog than somebody loose a father, husband or brother.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    That is exactly what a K9 is supposed to do. Thats exactly why there is a K9 program in the first place. The dog risks his life so a man does not have to.

Sure, its tough to hoist the dog into a building knowing it may be the last time you see him alive, but I'd rather loose the dog than somebody loose a father, husband or brother.
    A rather sad fact of reality.

Often times, the life of the dog seems to be more valuable than the life of the perp and even though it may seem to be correct at times, it really isnt so.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links