Good/Bad? Witness Shot

Good/Bad? Witness Shot

This is a discussion on Good/Bad? Witness Shot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I will let you guys decide. Person witnessed what what apparent a car burglary and called police then followed them in car and was shot ...

Thread: Good/Bad? Witness Shot

Good/Bad? Witness Shot

I will let you guys decide. Person witnessed what what apparent a car burglary and called police then followed them in car and was shot for his trouble.

link

Man gets shot trying to help cops | Avalanche-Journal

VIP Member
    Myself, once the vehicle stopped and any of the suspects exited I would be departing the area as quickly as possible since I do not know their intentions but would stay on the line with 911.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The article...

Man gets shot trying to help cops
    By Robin Pyle | Avalanche-Journal
    Saturday, July 18, 2009
    Story last updated at 7/18/2009 - 1:57 am

Police say many have done what Edward Lee did - following car burglary suspects to help police. But the citizen chase ended violently just after 2 a.m. Friday in a south central Lubbock neighborhood.

Lee, a 22-year-old Texas Tech student, was shot trying to help police catch three men he believed were attempting to break into cars at Fast Eddie's Billiards in the 7300 block of University Avenue, Police Capt. Greg Stevens said.

Lee was listed in unknown but stable condition Friday night at University Medical Center.

Police on Friday arrested Bobby Dale Furr, 41, of Midland, Phillip Bryan Oxford, 41, and Justin Wayne Crouch, 24, on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Furr also is charged with felon in possession of a firearm, Lubbock County Jail records show.

Officers were able to quickly apprehend the suspects after the shooting, getting the tag number and vehicle description from Lee prior to the incident.

"He was giving us a play by play over 911," Stevens said. "He was trying to lead us to that suspect vehicle."

Stevens said "it's not uncommon at all" for residents to participate in the risky act, and police have made "some good arrests from something like that."

There were early reports of a possible altercation at Fast Eddie's, but police had not determined if an argument took place before Lee's early morning pursuit.

The victim followed the suspects' truck to 50th Street and University Avenue, where one of the occupants got out and broke Lee's window. Police said the chase was not high-speed.

Lee, who had two passengers, continued following the men for about nine minutes before one of the suspects got out on a residential street and shot him through the door, striking him in the torso and critically wounding him, according to police reports.

The chase, which stretched more than four miles while winding through several central Lubbock neighborhoods, ended near 71st Street and Avenue T.

Police got to Lee within seconds of the shooting, which Stevens said was recorded on the 911 tape. Police would not release the 911 tape, citing evidence in an open investigation.

Officers arrested the suspects several blocks and minutes later in the 6900 block of Avenue W. They found the gun believed to be used in the shooting inside the vehicle. Police also identified the believed shooter, but declined to release the name.

The incident that led to the shooting didn't surprise Chanel Pool, who has worked with Lee for two years. She said while she never knew him to follow suspected criminals before, he is the type to help in whatever situation.

"He's a nice guy," she said.

Lee is listed as an Irving resident who is majoring in Animal and Food Sciences at Tech, according to his facebook.com page.

Stevens said the police department neither encourages nor discourages residents from following suspect vehicles to help officers keep a location on them.

But residents should consider the inherent danger involved in such a decision.

"You just don't know who it is in that other vehicle," Stevens said. "You don't know who you're dealing with."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty risky...this student needs some practice in staying 'back', and being alert.
    Too bad he wasn't armed for a 'welcome' to the window breaker...but then that could have been questioned.
    At least the dirtbags will be getting a loooooooong vacation.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What's surprising is that even tho he was following and giving directions it still took the cops over 9 minutes to intercept,I would suggest that anybody tailing a vehicle do it discreetly at a distance,I don't know how close this guy was but apparently the Bad Guys made him
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    What's surprising is that even tho he was following and giving directions it still took the cops over 9 minutes to intercept,I would suggest that anybody tailing a vehicle do it discreetly at a distance,I don't know how close this guy was but apparently the Bad Guys made him
    yes, i agree.Lubbock is not that big,don't know why it took cops so long to intercept.although i guess its not really that long of a time.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Sponsored Links