BAD: Man killed at firing range

This is a discussion on BAD: Man killed at firing range within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My neck of the woods. :( 9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Man killed at firing range EL PASO COUNTY - A 25-year-old man ...

Thread: BAD: Man killed at firing range

BAD: Man killed at firing range

My neck of the woods. :(

9NEWS.com | Colorado's Online News Leader | Man killed at firing range

EL PASO COUNTY - A 25-year-old man was killed when a friend accidentally shot him as they were unloading their weapons at an unsupervised shooting range on U.S. Forest Service land in El Paso County.
    Advertisement

Otis Freison of Aurora was shot in the chest at the range on Rampart Range Road on Saturday, said Lt. Lari Sevene with the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.

Freison was among a group of friends who had gone to the range.

"Someone didn't clear their weapon properly," Sevene said. "As a general rule, everyone is on the line parallel to each other, and their firearms are pointed down range, but this is a public range, so there is no oversight."

The range in the Pike National Forest near the Garden of the Gods is managed by the Forest Service.

A National Rifle Association-sponsored shooting range adviser inspected the trash-strewn site in April 2007, according to a decision memo on the Forest Service website.

The adviser "recommended that supervision on site was needed immediately," the memo said.

A Forest Service dispatcher referred a call for comment to the sheriff's office.

Freison's father, also named Otis Freison, said the range should be closed.

"I thought this was a supervised club, and now I am finding out that this place is a garbage dump, basically," he said. "If you don't have supervision in a place like that it is dangerous. It absolutely should be shut down."

A 2006 article in The (Colorado Springs) Gazette described the range as trash-strewn.

"Thousands of paper targets blanket scrub oak trees, pines and both sides of the roadway," the article said. "Mixed in are the ubiquitous beer cans and bottles, fast-food sacks and cups that are dumped during busy weekends.

"Appliances such as refrigerators, water heaters and computer monitors are routinely dumped at the range," according to the article.

Freison was a "good kid," who had a gun but wasn't an avid shooter, his father said. "I'm still trying to figure out what he was doing down there."

Freison installed neon signs for a living but lost his job because of the recession, his father said.

A number of people were at the range when the accident happened at 12:28 p.m.

Freison's friends started life-saving efforts, and medical personnel who arrived shortly after the accident worked unsuccessfully to revive him according to the sheriff's office.

The El Paso County District Attorney's Office will determine whether charges should be filed, authorities said.
    Glock G19 - Generation 2 (our first)
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Glock G21 - Generation 3 (Bought 8/2010)
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

2. Remove Ads

That is what scares the crap out of me at public ranges,I have been shooting before and seen people pull up and start behaving in reckless manners with their firearms and that's my cue to pickup and leave.I'm amazed at how the LEO didn't blame the gun but blamed the unsafe handling of the gun as the reason.It is very possible that the shooter could be charged with involuntary manslaughter.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

We have an excellent pro gun sheriff in El Paso County, who knows gun rights and will generally go out on a limb to protect them. I frequent Rampart Range, and it was a fluke that I was not there that day. I am typically there every weekend, Sunday mornings, for my practice.

As for the trash, it is bad, but getting better. I have personally called and reported people for illegal dumping. The Sheriff also brings up a volunteer "chain-gang" every 6 months and does a full range cleanup. The Gazette appears to be a biased newspaper that has been pushing to get rampart shut down for 10 years or so because they have nothing else to report on (I canceled my subscription years ago and have never looked back...)

This is a bad situation, and I fear that 1 mistake is going to push this range over the edge. It has been in place for a very long time with no incidents, has been cleaned up a lot, and is getting cleaner as we go.

We have seen a massive increase in shooting interest since the election, and not everyone has been responsible enough to get training and get the experience necessary to be safe. "Over Site" at this range is not the answer. It's long-standing record of zero problems is now blemished, but until now has given the anti's no ammo to get it closed.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    That is what scares the crap out of me at public ranges,I have been shooting before and seen people pull up and start behaving in reckless manners with their firearms and that's my cue to pickup and leave.I'm amazed at how the LEO didn't blame the gun but blamed the unsafe handling of the gun as the reason.It is very possible that the shooter could be charged with involuntary manslaughter.
    That should be your cue to step in and tell them to knock it off before they get the range closed for everyone. They make one mistake and they will make the news, once you make the news the range is destined to be shut down. In general the guys "having too much fun" are quick to shut down once they are called on their idiotic behavior.

Edit: I might have it easier being 6'3" without my boots, and a sold 295 lbs...
    Conflict avoidance was never my strong point either...The sheriff knows my last name pretty well from all of our conversations.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Wow, this is a sad article.

What struck me about it was that they kept stressing the part about it being "unsupervised." That's kind of like saying some adult drowned at the pool bcause their were no lifeguards. Sure, a range supervisor MIGHT have noticed the unsafe behavior and prevented this tragedy. But the cause of this fatality was simple violation of commonly understood rules of firearms safety.

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing your buddies torso, is not a safe direction.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    Oops.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
    This story just reinforces the myth that guns mysteriously load themselves. I'm sorry, but I find it very easy to verify that my firearms are unloaded.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    What struck me about it was that they kept stressing the part about it being "unsupervised." That's kind of like saying some adult drowned at the pool bcause their were no lifeguards. Sure, a range supervisor MIGHT have noticed the unsafe behavior and prevented this tragedy. But the cause of this fatality was simple violation of commonly understood rules of firearms safety.:
    Agreed. The fault lies with the shooter.

For the father of the victim to say that the range should be closed because of the lack of supervision is like saying that his son and friend are too stupid to be on their own.

That's the problem with gun control. With more and more people knowing less and less about guns, common sense is much less common than it used to be.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

The new word is that of the 5 county commissioners 2 want to close the range and 1 (Bernie Herpin) is arguing to keep it open. The main reason argued to close it is that it is so overused. Does that mean the El Paso Co jail needs to be shut down, after all it is extremely crowded (overused)?
    The Anti's are jumping all over this one already here. I have had 2 arguments with co-workers already this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Wow, this is a sad article.

What struck me about it was that they kept stressing the part about it being "unsupervised." That's kind of like saying some adult drowned at the pool bcause their were no lifeguards. Sure, a range supervisor MIGHT have noticed the unsafe behavior and prevented this tragedy. But the cause of this fatality was simple violation of commonly understood rules of firearms safety.

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing your buddies torso, is not a safe direction.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    Oops.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
    This story just reinforces the myth that guns mysteriously load themselves. I'm sorry, but I find it very easy to verify that my firearms are unloaded.

+1 ... well put Pastor Pack
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Rampart Shooting Range Closing After Fatal Accident

Rampart Shooting Range Closing After Fatal Accident

The U.S. Forest Service has indefinitely closed a shooting range where a man was accidentally shot and killed.

Pike National Forest Supervisor Bob Leaverton announced Tuesday the area on Rampart Range in Colorado Springs will undergo a safety review. Leaverton says he's putting together a safety review board to determine the cause and any factors that may have contributed to the accident.

Twenty-five-year-old Otis Freison of Aurora was shot in the chest at the unsupervised range on Saturday.

Leaverton notes this closure is a time to be reflective on some questions that have arose due to the tragic nature of the accident.

El Paso County authorities say the shooting appears accidental. No criminal charges have been filed.

The shooting range opened in 1990 and is used by 40,000 people a year. This is the first fatal accident at the shooting range. Currently, no permits are required to shoot at the range.

Leaverton says he knows hunting season is coming up and he's empathetic to that. He notes that there are other shooting ranges in Colorado Springs for people to use.

The range is putting up barb wire fencing all day Tuesday and cement barriers to prevent drivers from pulling over to use the range.

There it is. 19 years without a blemish. The first time something goes wrong we get shut down. Welcome to the Nanny State.

Edit: reading the 1 comment on the bottom of the page made me physically ill. First, the statement about how people behave there is pure BS. Then they go on to vomit out the idea that personal responsibility is bad and we all need to be overseen by the state. It terrifies me that this person may be a voter.

" Pike National Forest Supervisor Bob Leaverton announced Tuesday the area on Rampart Range in Colorado Springs will undergo a safety review. Leaverton says he's putting together a safety review board to determine the cause and any factors that may have contributed to the accident "

It's pretty obvious what caused the shooting. A group of friends with Cranial Rectal Immersion .
    It sucks for everyone else that used the place.

Links