Store video catches cop bullying woman

This is a discussion on Store video catches cop bullying woman within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by thegreatgonzo a criminal with a badge is still a criminal. Hopefully he will be prosecuted along with his son. It is comforting ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Store video catches cop bullying woman

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatgonzo View Post
    a criminal with a badge is still a criminal. Hopefully he will be prosecuted along with his son. It is comforting that the store clerk had the integrity to keep the video and provide it to the iad investigators. Ia guys catch a lot of heat and it can be a very unpleasant job for many reasons. Some ia guys are just headhunters looking for promotions, but i think most are dedicated cops who want to weed out the crooks amongst us (that make it hard for the rest of us to do our jobs). In this case, it looks like ia was persistent in their investigation and really put the spotlight on this cockroach.
    Gonzo
    + 100 well said
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

2. Remove Ads

Disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    A criminal with a badge is still a criminal. Hopefully he will be prosecuted along with his son. It is comforting that the store clerk had the integrity to keep the video and provide it to the IAD investigators. IA guys catch a lot of heat and it can be a very unpleasant job for many reasons. Some IA guys are just headhunters looking for promotions, but I think most are dedicated cops who want to weed out the crooks amongst us (that make it hard for the rest of us to do our jobs). In this case, it looks like IA was persistent in their investigation and really put the spotlight on this cockroach.
    Gonzo
    If there was a real and proper investigation, the only just outcome would be Lopez fired, and certification to work as a LEO revoked. He not only committed the act, he also lied in a so called formal IA investigation, and attempted to extort a witness, and the holder of electronic surveillance evidence to become complicit in his conspiracy of evidence tampering. And I hope the victim's attorney is vehement in his litigation regarding the matter.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carry ok View Post
    If there was a real and proper investigation, the only just outcome would be Lopez fired, and certification to work as a LEO revoked.
    It would appear that the IAD presented the case to the DA's office and the DA's office refused to prosecute. Whether that was due to a poor investigation (seems difficult to believe since IAD obtained the video and mulitple statements); political posturing; or some other factor...who knows? I agree that he should be fired and that his state certification should be revoked. Furthermore, notice of that revocation should somehow be sent to every other state law enforcement licensing body.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    It would appear that the IAD presented the case to the DA's office and the DA's office refused to prosecute. Whether that was due to a poor investigation (seems difficult to believe since IAD obtained the video and mulitple statements); political posturing; or some other factor...who knows? I agree that he should be fired and that his state certification should be revoked. Furthermore, notice of that revocation should somehow be sent to every other state law enforcement licensing body.
    Gonzo
    but it would seem that the IA investigation, (considering the fate of the 'dirtbag' cop), and the DA's refusal to prosecute should be separate matters. I do not know, but I doubt that the DA has any say in Police Department affairs as to firing, suspension, etcetera. Any LEO care to interject here? Thanks.
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Words can't describe my disappointment and disgust at what happened to this young lady.
    ALSO at the actions of the Philly district attorney in not bringing this man and his son up on charges they well deserve.
    I hope this young woman makes a bundle off of Philly, the Philly Police and these two bullies in a civil suit.
    NOTHING will happen to this scum who disgraced the uniform and profession it represents or his "chip off the old block" son. As the article says, District Attorney dropped any case against him. Internal affairs will put probably put a note in his file...a slap on the wrist that will probably disappear from his file in a few months.
    The other officers who tried to make the clerk erase the tape and give false witness should also be held accountable, but they won't.
    This shows me that I wouldn't be caught dead in Philly.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Here's an even scarier part. Not just the LEO doing the deed, but afterwards. If the store clerks testimony was true then there's a lot more house cleaning that needs to happen...LIKE THE IA DEPT!

The clerk on duty the night that Lopez confronted Lawless told investigators that three times after the incident, police officers spoke with him about the security tape and that two asked if he would erase it.

An Internal Affairs investigation found no misconduct among officers who spoke with the clerk about the tape. But it concluded that Lopez had verbally abused Lawless, had jammed his gun into her face and had violated departmental procedures that night.
    WTH?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Disgusting,and the reason they put the cop back on duty is because if they didn't they would have a harder time fighting the lawsuit,not to mention the cop union probably made them.Reminder to self stay the hell out of Philly,between the cops and roving ticket writers I see nothing there I need to see
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Wow. Scary to think what would have happened had one of the friends been licenced to carry and did something. IMO it would have been fully justified. THe cop assaulted them with a deadly weapon, no different than a common thug. Had he been shot it would have been entirely in the green morally, but I think they would have been set out to roast legally even with the video.

VIP Member
    Well sounds like Ms. Lawless will be riding that one all the way to the bank.

I hope so and those other two don't get Me started.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    Wow. Scary to think what would have happened had one of the friends been licenced to carry and did something. IMO it would have been fully justified. THe cop assaulted them with a deadly weapon, no different than a common thug. Had he been shot it would have been entirely in the green morally, but I think they would have been set out to roast legally even with the video.
    According to the article: The driver of the Mazda, Stephen Soda, also had a handgun in his glove compartment along with his carry permit, according to police. Police reviewed the permit and released Soda without charges. Neither weapon was drawn in the incident.

And: Ironically, Lopez Jr. had a .22-caliber Magnum revolver in his waistband during the accident and throughout the confrontation in the Lukoil, according to his statement to Internal Affairs. He had a permit to carry the weapon, he said in the statement.

At least neither of their weapons were used: Lopez Jr. said that after the accident, the occupants of the blue Mazda got out of the car and began shouting, cursing and kicking his car.

Quote Originally Posted by jbs View Post
    Jr. shoulda been charged with assault and sr. shoulda been charged with assault with a deadly weapon....but it's philly and the cops do what they want and the others back them
    yes, looks like its up to citizens to sue since the Philly police dept. does nothing about it....pathetic.
    glad im in TX.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

As a former cop, this action alone should be enough to cost him his job. He lied as to what happened, lied about claiming someone had a gun, when his own kid did, and tried to suppress evidence, by suggesting they erase the tape.

Nope, he ought to be working in ANY other field BUT police work.
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

Quote Originally Posted by zackintosh View Post
    According to the article: The driver of the Mazda, Stephen Soda, also had a handgun in his glove compartment along with his carry permit, according to police. Police reviewed the permit and released Soda without charges. Neither weapon was drawn in the incident.

And: Ironically, Lopez Jr. had a .22-caliber Magnum revolver in his waistband during the accident and throughout the confrontation in the Lukoil, according to his statement to Internal Affairs. He had a permit to carry the weapon, he said in the statement.

At least neither of their weapons were used: Lopez Jr. said that after the accident, the occupants of the blue Mazda got out of the car and began shouting, cursing and kicking his car.
    I missed that part about one of the group being armed. In any case, it was in the car and not on him at the time of the incident. The son being armed when he went in is a little gray. He had a permit, but he was also one of the aggressors.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MedPig View Post
    As a former cop, this action alone should be enough to cost him his job. He lied as to what happened, lied about claiming someone had a gun, when his own kid did, and tried to suppress evidence, by suggesting they erase the tape.

Nope, he ought to be working in ANY other field BUT police work.
    Yep. Not only should he be fired, but every state's licensing board ought to be notified so he can't work as a LEO in any other state either. Of course, that might not even be an issue if he were criminally prosecuted, as he ought to be.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I believe their hot headed behavior has the potential be the death of them, literally. Ultimately people like this end up paying dearly. Hopefully they will live to learn from the experience. I plan to stay out of Philly, AKA the City of Brotherly Love.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links