BAD, Boxer Vernon Forrest killed in Carjacking.

BAD, Boxer Vernon Forrest killed in Carjacking.

This is a discussion on BAD, Boxer Vernon Forrest killed in Carjacking. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Pro Boxer Shot, Killed In Southwest Atlanta Posted: 9:18 am EDT July 26, 2009Updated: 12:03 pm EDT July 26, 2009 ATLANTA -- Professional boxer Vernon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry BAD, Boxer Vernon Forrest killed in Carjacking.

Pro Boxer Shot, Killed In Southwest Atlanta

Posted: 9:18 am EDT July 26, 2009Updated: 12:03 pm EDT July 26, 2009
    ATLANTA -- Professional boxer Vernon "The Viper" Forrest was killed in southwest Atlanta Saturday night during an attempted carjacking.

SLIDESHOW: Pro Boxer Fatal Shooting Crime Scene

Channel 2 Action News reporter Ashley Hayes was the only reporter at the scene following the shooting. Police told Hayes that Forrest stopped at a gas station to put air in the tire of his Jaguar when he was approached by two men.

Pro Boxer Shot, Killed In Southwest Atlanta

The shooting happened in the 500 block of Fulton Street in the Mechanicsville community.

Police said Forrest, 38, was shot about eight times in the back. Police said the gunmen had two semi-automatic weapons. The Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office said Forrest was pronounced dead at 1:29 a.m. An autopsy was scheduled for Sunday morning.

Police said Forrest had his girlfriend’s son in the vehicle at the time of the shooting. The child remains in police custody until his mother arrives from Texas.

Police are looking for two black males last seen leaving the scene in a Red Monte Carlo.

Forrest, a native of Augusta, Ga., who lived in Atlanta, was a member of the 1992 Olympic team. He was also a former WBC super welterweight champion.

Forrest took two wins over Sugar Shane Mosley in 2002. On Sept. 13, 2008, Forrest reclaimed his WBC 154-pound title by beating Sergio Mora.

Vernon Forrest was a great guy. He owned homes for the handicapped where they were taught to live on their own. The world could use more people like Vernon. He will be missed.

Sad story...

He was a man who took advantage of what skills he had to become a success and then went on to help others less fortunate...killed by a couple of worthless scumbags who deserve the death penalty (does GA have that?).
    I wish more people could end the life of worthless society scum like this...right at the attempted crime scene.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    It actually sounds more like an execution than a car jacking. Shot numerous times in the back and the car was left behind. I'd say someone had a grudge against him.

Police: Ex-boxing champ Forrest shot, killed - FOX Sports on MSN

ATLANTA (AP) - Former boxing champion Vernon Forrest was shot and killed during an apparent robbery in Atlanta, police said Sunday.

Vernon Forrest was a former WBC super welterweight champion.
    Atlanta Police Sgt. Lisa Keyes said in an e-mail Sunday that Forrest may have been robbed and was shot "multiple times in the back" Saturday night in Atlanta.

Keyes said there are no suspects.

"Vernon was one of the few decent people in boxing," promoter Gary Shaw said Sunday.

"I mean really decent. He cared about mentally challenged adults. He cared about kids. I just can't believe it."

Mark Guilbeau, an investigator with the Fulton County Medical Examiner's office, said an autopsy is planned for Sunday.

Forrest, who lived in Atlanta, was a member of the 1992 U.S. Olympic team. He was also a former WBC super welterweight champion.

"He was one of the most gracious and charitable fighters in boxing and he will be missed by the entire boxing community and all of his friends at HBO," HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg told The Associated Press.

Greenburg helped put on eight of Forrest's fights.

"It is time for the needless loss of life to end," Greenburg said. "Maybe Vernon's lasting legacy will be for Americans everywhere to rise up and end this kind of senseless violence."

Forrest worked to provide housing for the mentally challenged through his involvement in the Destiny's Child group home.

Forrest, 38, took two wins over Sugar Shane Mosley in 2002. On Sept. 13, 2008, Forrest reclaimed his WBC 154-pound title by beating Sergio Mora.

The win over Mora was Forrest's last fight. He injured a rib while training for an April fight against Jason LeHoullier. That fight was canceled, and Forrest had to vacate his title.

There were tentative plans for a title fight against Sergio Martinez, perhaps in October, according to Shaw.

Forrest, who had a 41-3 career record with 29 knockouts, is the third prominent boxer to die this month.

Former two-time champion Arturo Gatti, who retired in 2007, was found dead July 11 at a Brazilian resort. Gatti's wife, Amanda Rodrigues, is being held as the prime suspect.

Another former champion, Alexis Arguello, was found dead on July 1 at his home in Managua, Nicaragua. He was elected mayor of Nicaragua's capital last year.
    Last edited by archer51; July 26th, 2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added link

VIP Member
    PNUT quoting the news story posted: "Police told Hayes that Forrest stopped at a gas station to put air in the tire of his Jaguar when he was approached by two men."

I used to "admire" the practical wisdom of Ross Perot for driving around in a beat up old Plymouth. Didn't bring attention to himself. Not that brining attention is any excuse for what was done to the boxer, but doing certain things--- driving around in a Jaguar-- are more likely than other things to bring you unwanted attention.

Twenty something years back my brother in-law died, and one of the folks who showed up at my sister's home was a very very wealthy man. He was driving a
    Porche convertible, fire engine red, top down, wearing obviously expensive jewelry and a suit that no doubt cost him more than I spend on property taxes each year.

I took one look and thought to myself- "idiot." You just drove through or near some pretty rough areas to find your way here. One wrong turn and you would be lucky to be alive.

The guy (show off that he apparently was) then offered to send a private jet to Dallas to pick up my wife for some antique hunting. He didn't get it. In 100 years we wouldn't have the money to buy the kind of antiques he had in mind. We're more in the "old lamps at garage sale" category.

Anyway, as far as I know he got home safely and lived (maybe is still alive) a long life; but as far as practical survival skills and brains, he was a loser.

BTW, he made his money almost by accident, buying a few hundred dollar stake (at the very start) of what turned out to be one of America's most well known retailers. He bought in when they had one store in a beat up old warehouse. People in that circle of friends, not my sister or me, became instant multi-millionaires.

Sometimes people don't realise what kind of target they put on their own backs,as far as being shot in the back,It's very possible when they pulled guns he decided he was just gonna get back in his car and drive off,only an idiot would shoot somebody over nothing right?Sad thing is he was probably in excellent shape capable of taking care of business mano e mano,but he was still no match for a punk with a gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member

your onto to something, dukalmighty

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sometimes people don't realise what kind of target they put on their own backs,as far as being shot in the back,It's very possible when they pulled guns he decided he was just gonna get back in his car and drive off,only an idiot would shoot somebody over nothing right?Sad thing is he was probably in excellent shape capable of taking care of business mano e mano,but he was still no match for a punk with a gun
    I think you are onto something. Rather than it being a hit, I think he probably disbelieved the threat and turned to leave. The punks saw that
    as "disrespect" and opened fire. I do think (not blaming the boxer) that there are places you don't go in fancy cars. (See my post on this point above.) Doing so is as you wrote, painting a bullseye on your own back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think you are onto something. Rather than it being a hit, I think he probably disbelieved the threat and turned to leave. The punks saw that
    as "disrespect" and opened fire. I do think (not blaming the boxer) that there are places you don't go in fancy cars. (See my post on this point above.) Doing so is as you wrote, painting a bullseye on your own back.
    While I agree with you, it's just sad that this is the case. It has gotten to the point that someone has to live in fear just because they have worked hard and earned nice things... and the anti's think it would be better to take away our much needed defense.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    The Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office said Forrest was pronounced dead at 1:29 a.m. An autopsy was scheduled for Sunday morning.
    Nothing good ever happens after midnight.

Sad, very sad.

My prayers go out to his family.

The NY Daily News goes into a lot more detail, Vernon was bent down with the wallet in his hand after giving money to his Godson to get snacks. The BG's snatched the wallet, he chased one of them, when he was walking back another one came from the shadows and shot him in the back, then executed him when he fell. He had a gun, under the seat of his car, apparently he had a CCW, the story mentions his gun being "licensed " in Ga, and Fla..whatever that means, I assume it means a CC Permit.
    Vernon Forrest was a good person. It's a shame that this happened to him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...rest_dead.html

Quote Originally Posted by PNUT View Post
    The NY Daily News goes into a lot more detail, Vernon was bent down with the wallet in his hand after giving money to his Godson to get snacks. The BG's snatched the wallet, he chased one of them, when he was walking back another one came from the shadows and shot him in the back, then executed him when he fell. He had a gun, under the seat of his car, apparently he had a CCW, the story mentions his gun being "licensed " in Ga, and Fla..whatever that means, I assume it means a CC Permit.
    Vernon Forrest was a good person. It's a shame that this happened to him.

Ex-boxing champion Vernon Forrest shot and killed in robbery attempt
    This is why on this forum a lot of people talk about Situational Awareness,walking around like something may happen instead of acting like nothing will happen.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    This is why on this forum a lot of people talk about Situational Awareness,walking around like something may happen instead of acting like nothing will happen.
    ...And on body carry FTW, too.
    A gun in a glove compartment, trunk, under a seat is about as useless in an immediate emergency as having a roll of toothfloss in ones shoe during a root canal.

IRL it always cracks me up when folks, typically largish sized/fatty males, comment that they'll go toe to toe and fight a BG "like a man"...and that guns/knives/pepper spray is for wimps.

Uh huh, okay.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Mr.Forrest sounded like a great guy. Hopefully, these savages will be caught fast before they do this to someone else. Nightime, bad areas, gas stations all this adds up to trouble. The 8 shots in the back may speak to something other than a carjacking, considering they did NOT take the car.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

That same night an Atlanta City Council man was carjacked. The city is a dangerous place.

Trouble is the city has gotten progressively worse over the years and lacks the leadership on the part of city government to try and protect law abiding citizens.
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    If the NY Daily news account in PNUT's post is accurate, then the real failure was in situational awareness. Forrest thought he was done dealing with the threat, and he never realized the tailgunner was there at all.

All in all, a tragedy. A decent man (by all accounts here; I really didn't know anything about him) who tried to prepare (gun and permit) and was not afraid to confront a threat (dealing with the first two punks), and it still cost him his life.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links