Randalls employee fired for chasing theft suspect

This is a discussion on Randalls employee fired for chasing theft suspect within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Hopyard ..........I guess what I am trying to say is that while I certainly understand the tight corner the business owner is ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Randalls employee fired for chasing theft suspect

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    ..........I guess what I am trying to say is that while I certainly understand the tight corner the business owner is in, over a barrel from the insurer, I think there were solutions available here, and also steps available to avoid lost biz from a public relations viewpoint................
    Unfortunately, in today's climate, virtually every business decision can come down to the bean counters. I don't like it that way, but that's the cruel reality. In this particular situation, you've got the potential loss of business from bad PR for firing the guy for doing a good and noble thing compared to potential litigation, loss of insurance, etc. for not having a policy against such actions by an employee and following up on that policy. Again, I don't know if the store policy involved was oral or written and if it allowed any wiggle room. Believe me, I'd be looking for a way to not have to fire the employee but it just flat out may not be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    ..........Now, as to your point that you would like to "grab the little purse snatching punk" yourself, would you really do so in light of everything we have just discussed? Or, would you personally hesitate because of fear of your insurer or your franchise agreement?

I'm thinking that your instinct as a good citizen would be to do the right thing, the rest of it be ...............
    You'll notice I said "in a perfect world". Actually, I should have more accurately said "in my version of a perfect world". In my version of a perfect world, there is one key rule to live by: personal responsibility. In my perfect world, it wouldn't matter if I tackled the little punk as it was his illegal actions that brought about any consequences and I wouldn't have to worry about him suing me for his broken ribs after that tackle. In my perfect world, I'd be able to take the employee in this situation and pat him on the back and tell him how proud of him I was because it was his decision to give chase and if he were to be injured in that chase, I wouldn't have to worry about being sued out of business by his wife and family because I didn't forbid him to give chase to crooks. But, my perfect world doesn't exist so that leaves us to deal with events in our imperfect world. Sometimes, it doesn't work out the way we would want.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    My yearly anti-terrorism training tells me that if my airplane is hijacked, I'm supposed to quietly hide my dog tags and ID. If armed men break down my hotel room door, I'm supposed to quietly surrender.
    Sadly, I receive the same training. I worked retail for Sears while in college and someone stole a video camera right off the counter as I was ringing it up. The security guys came out from the back office but did not pursue the criminal. Apparently it's easier to simply file an insurance claim and be reimbursed.

Given the same situation with my company, I support it. Now, if the criminal was threatening violence - that's a different story.

i called said.i just wanted to say i wont be shopping their anymore because of what y'all did to an honest man.
    the guy seemed stunned when he finally started to speak i said. that's all goodbye.

p.s. i called at midnight

seems to me they could have put him on probation rather than fire him if they wanted to.
    bean counters helping us remain a nation of sheep,one company at a time.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links