Randalls employee fired for chasing theft suspect

This is a discussion on Randalls employee fired for chasing theft suspect within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey all you Texans out there: Randall's policy is for safety, spokeswoman says. Randalls employee fired for chasing theft suspect...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Randalls employee fired for chasing theft suspect

Hey all you Texans out there: Randall's policy is for safety, spokeswoman says. Randalls employee fired for chasing theft suspect
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    It is simple. Don't shop at Randalls.

It's sad that doing the right thing in our society means lawsuits and running the risk of being sued because you didn't ask the BG if you could take what he/she stole from someone else and return it back to them.

tiwee said it best.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

this sounds the same as many of the pizza drivers geting fired for defending them selfs
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I think Randalls needs to get a few hundred letters condemning them for firing a responsible employee. If I get some time tonight I'll try to dig up their corporate address and post it here.

I just called and spoke with the Manager of the store, you can call at:

(512) 246-0390

I gave him a piece of my mind, telling him that he would rather fire a loyal employee who was looking out for customers being victimized by criminals on THEIR property than do the right thing and apprehend or defend customers from criminals on your property? When the Manager gave me his usual corporate excuse line that it wasn't his call, I told him to man up and take some personal responsibility for the store he was charged with managing, and be thankful that he had at least one real man (and former veteran) who had the intestinal fortitude to stand up to criminals and do the right thing.

Surprisingly, the manager listened to it all and didn't hang up. He again apologized but started going through the whole "corporate policy" thing. I cut him off and said I heard it the first time, and not to worry, because I wasn't going to shop in his store anyway.

I did tell him to expect a whole lot more phone calls, though.......So have at it, fellas...
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    too bad, I'm sure that policy is in place because some lawyer told them it would be better for liability on the store, but the store isn't the one without a job now

just like one of our local convenience store policies.....they get hit all over town....robberies, beer runs, have had clerks shot/stabbed, one was killed a few years ago on a beer run
    their policy is they can't fight back, chase, nothing....just give 'em what they want
    until just recently they didn't even have a phone in the store, they'd have to go outside and use the pay phone to call 911 after they were robbed, now they have phones that call directly to 911 but I wish they had shotguns behind the counter

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super
    I just called and spoke with the Manager of the store, you can call at:

(512) 246-0390

I did tell him to expect a whole lot more phone calls, though.......So have at it, fellas...
    NICE!!!!
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Pretty poor policy if you ask me...but it is there policy and the employee was aware of it. It may have been more appropriate to give a day or two off and have him review the policy.
    The manager stated, ...his hands were tied.

Perhaps the next time, it's the store is getting robbed, and when the manager is taken in the back and getting beaten to a pulp, he'll remind his 'wanting to help' employees about the store policy.

With some of the advertisement (perhaps on Fox News), Mr. Schafer will end up with a much better job.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Pretty poor policy if you ask me...but it is there policy and the employee was aware of it. It may have been more appropriate to give a day or two off and have him review the policy.
    The manager stated, ...his hands were tied.

Perhaps the next time, it's the store is getting robbed, and when the manager is taken in the back and getting beaten to a pulp, he'll remind his 'wanting to help' employees about the store policy.

With some of the advertisement (perhaps on Fox News), Mr. Schafer will end up with a much better job.
    Amen to this,.. Also if anyone is calling, I would make sure to let the Manager know that word getting out of a policy like that and he can expect more robberies.. Criminals will like a place that they know will not have resistance.. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    this sounds the same as many of the pizza drivers geting fired for defending them selfs
    No, it's completely different.

As from the story...

Schafer ran across a field and through an apartment complex, hoping to cut the suspect off, but Schafer lost sight of him.

"I was just sitting there for about 30 seconds, saying, 'Come on. Make a mistake.' His head's going to pop up or something," Schafer said. "And it did."

The customer called police as Schafer collected Welch's purse, which had already been gone through and dropped in the field near some trees. Then Schafer chased the suspect for about another quarter-mile before police caught up and arrested the 15-year-old.
    Completely different as in apples and sliced turkey meat.

As to the company choosing to let him go as in this specific case by policy they do have a very good point.
    If he the store employee had injured some person _or_ caused some other person to thereafter become injured as by the BG, then guess who would be on the hook for liability in a civil defense? The employer.

Further if the employee in the effort to recover this customers stolen property had in that event either injured himself or been injured/killed by the BG or by some other third party event such as hit by a car while chasing the person through the streets...Guess who would be on the hook for workmans compensation and even potentially long term care considerations and/or sued by his family for wrongful death monies. Yep, the employer...even as such a claim of any sort would be wrong. They still would have to spend considerable time, money, and endure negative press of all sorts for doing nothing wrong (!) and because an employee made his own choice to act as a police which was not amongst his job tasks. Further he left his counter to go on this greater than 1/4 mile chase effort and thus is AWOL whilst being on the clock.

Never mind that by the customers own statement she did not choose to secure the purse herself as in on body carry or better yet retain in hand as contrary to her image in the article...

Welch had been standing at the deli counter with her purse resting in her cart when someone ran past her, grabbed her purse and ran out the door.
    This is nothing like the pizza driver shootings that have occurred and do sadly with regularity.
    This isn't even the same as the Whole Foods employee who was fired for doing same though he was not on the clock and was on his lunch break when he too did same.

I'm an employer not as a manager but as founder and owner of a privately held corporation.
    I pay workmans comp amongst other insurances...and I know for a fact employees and familys will sue anyone and everyone they view to be 'monied' in a heartbeat if/when they find themself in a bind over pretty much anything including even minor scratches. Seriously.
    There is a good reason why many companys have policies such as this. It is to protect not only the employee (often times from themself!) but also that of the company too who has other mouths to feed and care for aside from a single employee who in a moment of emotional thought felt that the 'right' thing to do is go play Batman in the streets so as to recover property. A single event such as this resulting in employee or some other third party persons injury followed by medical and liability claims can literally sink a business...and result in not just one employee being jobless but an entire company of very many mouths (!). Folks need to think on this.

Property that is very often insured for loss by the employer or in regaining control of customer knick knacks that are as well wholly replaceable and not at all equal in value to that of the employees life nor that of the time and training investment made by the employer in to that person to do a job that is not in the area of loss prevention or general store security.

Now don't get me wrong nor this twisted as pretty much most people are not supportive of criminals and criminal activity and nobody wants to see customers getting ripped off on their grounds.
    But there is sense and with that cents too.
    This employee did a good thing morally but he was wrong as far as being an employee goes and he showed a serious error in judgment by his actions as related to his status as an employee. He knew the store policy and as such making the choice he did also negated his contract of employment per it's conditions.
    The bit about him having been former Army and such as reported is fluff at best. The bottom line is he's not employed by the Army, now, and was not assigned a job as store security.

Cases like this in specific appeal to our hearts but as with any story know that there are two sides to the coin and companys have policies such as this to this specific instance for good reason, as based on past post event employee actions and results.

I know my sentiment and comment will not be popular here but these are facts and realitys that employees and employers face daily as events occur daily.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    The bit about him having been former Army and such as reported is fluff at best. The bottom line is he's not employed by the Army, now, and was not assigned a job as store security.
    In all fairness, even the Army operates like this.

My yearly anti-terrorism training tells me that if my airplane is hijacked, I'm supposed to quietly hide my dog tags and ID. If armed men break down my hotel room door, I'm supposed to quietly surrender.

The policy is an unfortunate indicator of the path our society has taken, but there's nothing wrong with the policy itself. I don't think firing him was the right choice, but I don't make those decisions. I'm pretty sure the store manager doesn't make those decisions either.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

If all it takes for evil to prevail is the absence of good people to stand up, then what do we say about those who would denigrate/fire/condemn those who DO stand up?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    As bad as most of us want to help,most big retailers will can you for chasing thieves. A long time ago I spent 8 years as a manager for Autozone. The rule book spelled it out,and employees had to agree and sign,do not chase a thief,for any reason. All these companies care about is making money and avoiding lawsuits. The individual does not matter to them. Neither does right and wrong.

As an employer, I have to go along with Janq on this one.

The financial risk the employee placed on the Company in order to recover the stolen purse is just unacceptable.

Now, if the employee acted to defend someone from a violent attack, then I would have a different opinion. The potential benefit obtained from defending someone is much greater than the potential cost.

But, just to get back a purse? No way.

I feel for the employee since he acted with his heart in good faith but he really did act inappropriately.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    If all it takes for evil to prevail is the absence of good people to stand up, then what do we say about those who would denigrate/fire/condemn those who DO stand up?
    Let me ask you a hypothetical question. Would you willing quit your job right this minute and place your family in financial hardship if it would help a woman get her purse back?

Because that is the risk. Something goes wrong, the company gets sued and because of the cash they have to pay out, they must lay off a few workers.

Kind of a high price for recovering a purse . . . don't you think?

Like I said, if we were talking about defending someones life, then I say go for it.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links