Washington Man Charged in Brutal Home Invasion Days After Judge Declined to Jail Him

Washington Man Charged in Brutal Home Invasion Days After Judge Declined to Jail Him

This is a discussion on Washington Man Charged in Brutal Home Invasion Days After Judge Declined to Jail Him within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Preface: This is yet another good example of why I carry and keep arms for _defense_ within my home, and I train...and every night without ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Washington Man Charged in Brutal Home Invasion Days After Judge Declined to Jail Him

Preface:
    This is yet another good example of why I carry and keep arms for _defense_ within my home, and I train...and every night without fail I patrol my home to double check and lock all doors as well as clsoe and _lock_ all basement and first floor windows and any other windows accessible via our rear patio and decks.
    Even as my wife doesn't get it because; "I've never known or heard of anyone [she knows directly] who has had a problem."
    She conveniently forgets that _I_ have including having been victimized too...but that all was before I met her so to her mind if she didn't see it then it didn't/doesn't happen.

---

Isaiah Kalebu Charged With Murder, Suspected of Two Others

By SARAH NETTER
    July 28, 2009

If prosecutors had their way, Isaiah Kalebu would have been sitting in a jail cell the night of July 19.

Police say Isaiah Kalebu, 23, right, is not only a suspect in a suspicious fire that killed his aunt Rachel Kalebu, 61, left, but his DNA matches evidence at a Seattle home where two women were brutalized. One of the women died.
    (Courtesy Dr. Barbara Semakula/AP Photo)

Instead, police say Kalebu crawled inside a Seattle couple's open window before brutalizing two women who later staggered out into the street, bleeding and pleading for help. Both women had been raped and stabbed. One died of her injuries.

The attack came six days after a King County prosecutor went before Superior Court Judge Brian Gain to ask that Kalebu be returned to jail after being released on his own recognizance in August 2008. The prosecutors argued that Kalebu, originally charged with felony harrassment of his own mother, had now become a suspect in an arson fire that killed Kalebu's aunt and a former NFL quarterback.

Gain denied the request and Kalebu remained free.

Gain was also the judge who had allowed Kalebu released with no bail in August 2008 after he was charged with threatening to kill his mother. At the time, prosecutors had requested his bail be put at $25,000.

Kalebu is now back in jail on investigation of murder, rape, attempted murder and burglary. A different judge set his bail this time at $10 million.

The July 19 attack on the two women, Teresa Butz and her longtime partner, became known as the South Park murder, after the neighborhood where they lived.

According to a police report, neighbors on South Rose Street were awakened shortly after 3 a.m. by the terrified pleading of Butz and her partner, who had just escaped from their home.

Butz told neighbor Albert Barrientes before dying, "He told us if we did what he asked us to do, he wouldn't hurt us. He lied, he lied," according to the Associated Press.

Fingerprints left at the scene and DNA from bodily fluids in the women's house later identified the suspect as Kalebu. He was arrested five days after the attack.

"My family is forgiving this man," Teresa Butz's brother, Tim Butz, told KOMO. "But make no mistake, we believe in justice. We believe in swift justice. We believe in harsh justice. This man is going to be forgiven, but justice is coming."

Kalebu's court-appointed attorney Phillip Tavel said his client is next due in court Wednesday where he expects prosecutors to file formal charges. Tavel said Kalebu will plead not guilty.

Tavel had argued for a lowered bail of $50,000 to $100,000 when Kalebu was arraigned, but wasn't surprised his request was turned down.

"I knew going [because of] the severity of the charges ... that they were going to set bail as high as possible," Tavel told ABCNews.com

The King County prosecting attorney's office declined to comment on Gain's refusal to jail Kalebu before the South Park attack. Seattle police also declined to comment on anything beyond Kalebu's arrest. A police department spokesman said it was not department policy to comment on judgments or actions of outside agencies.

But prosecuting attorney's office spokesman Dan Donahoe said his office's request to lock up Kalebu was based on his known mental instability and the role investigators think he may have played in the July 9 fire that killed his aunt, Rachel Kalebu, 61, and former NFL quarterback John Eddie Jones, 57.

Gain could not be reached for comment...

The complete report can be found at; Washington Man Back in Jail After Crime Spree Prosecutors Hoped to Prevent - ABC News

- Janq

"He told us if we did what he asked us to do, he wouldn't hurt us. He lied, he lied." - Teresa Butz's last words and statement upon bleeding to death, after being raped and stabbed to death along with her mate as within their home
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sounds like some Judge needs to be fired
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This crap happens all too often, and yet the judges never learn. Many are too sympathetic to the criminals.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Bind Mr. Kalebu and toss him into a gator swamp...period!
    Do I sound a bit harsh?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Do I sound a bit harsh?
    Not at all, but you left out "tied to Judge Gain."

It's beyond reprehensible that a judge would release him like that. It makes one wonder who else is out walking among us.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Personally, I think judges should be held accountable in situations like this. If they truly believe these people are "safe" to release, put a little something on the line...
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Our justice system at work. Yep, equal justice for all. This trash released and on the streets and David Olofson serving 30 month jail time for owning a malfunctioning firearm.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Personally, I think judges should be held accountable in situations like this. If they truly believe these people are "safe" to release, put a little something on the line...
    Like have them come and stay at the judges home until trial begins.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldogy View Post
    Our justice system at work. Yep, equal justice for all. This trash released and on the streets and David Olofson serving 30 month jail time for owning a malfunctioning firearm.
    oldogy

Yeah man, I agree. It's no wonder I am a super-cynical old SOB..............

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Send him down here to Texas, we know what to do with scum like that......

And the judge that released him needs to be removed from the bench - permanently.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

If a cop pulls over a drunk driver and lets him drive away, the officer is responsible for whatever damage/death that drunk causes.

Same needs to apply to our legal system.

The victim would still be alive today if Gain kept him jailed.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Do I sound a bit harsh?
    no, but you forgot to add judge gain along w/kalebu
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

ahh, the law is on our side..not.

just great to know that we can all sleep well at night knowing the legal system is functioning as a well-oiled machine. Judges and their partiality, incompetence, naivete.. dont they shape their decision making skills objectively in law school.

unreal..

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    This crap happens all too often, and yet the judges never learn. Many are too sympathetic to the criminals.
    Professional courtesy.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links