Teen attacked and set on fire

This is a discussion on Teen attacked and set on fire within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Watch yourselves folks. They exchanged words. Then they came looking for him 3 days later with a gas can and lighter. Pastor Believes Attack Was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teen attacked and set on fire

Teen attacked and set on fire

Watch yourselves folks. They exchanged words. Then they came looking for him 3 days later with a gas can and lighter.

Pastor Believes Attack Was Hate Crime - Kansas City News Story - KCTV Kansas City

Pastor Believes Attack Was Hate Crime
    Nephew Burned By 2 Boys, Nichols Says
    POSTED: 4:40 pm CDT July 29, 2009
    UPDATED: 6:36 pm CDT July 29, 2009

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- What happened to a 15-year-old in Poplar Bluff, Mo., is gaining attention in Kansas City.

Pastor Gregory Nichols said his nephew was intentionally set on fire. He claims the incident was motivated by hate and not an accident.

Walter Currie Jr. was a vibrant teen, but then a classmate allegedly poured gas on him and set him on fire, his uncle said.

"I ran under a car and dropped my clothes to try and get the fire off of me," Currie said.

Walter's uncle, who is a local pastor, said his nephew was attacked by two white teens last month. Nichols said the incident began with an exchange of words between the boys, and three days later the youths went looking for Walter.

"For no known reason to Walter, they came back looking for him," Nichols said. "(They) walked around town with a Gatorade bottle filled with gasoline."

One of the boys was arrested and charged with first-degree juvenile assault for pouring the gasoline on Walter, and then throwing a lighter on him.

Nichols believes the charge should be more stringent. He said this is a hate crime because he said the boy told Walter "burn, blank, burn."

"We don't want a crime like this to be hidden," Nichols said. "My nephew needs to know that people care."

Lesi Smith, the chief juvenile officer in Poplar Bluff, said the police report did not indicate that any criterion for a hate crime was met. She said the highest charge for a crime of this nature is first-degree assault.

For more information about Walter, go to waltercurriejr.com.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Perhaps the 'Feds' can determine if it was indeed a hate crime.

These two dirtbags should be tried as adults and given the max...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How about an attempted murder charge? Holy crap!

Joker1

VIP Member
    How about a eye for a eye.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I hate "HATE" crime statutes...because really are there any "I really like you" crimes?

No crime should be treated any differently because of the words used or sexual orientation, color, religion of the victim.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

juvenile assault, eh? this is a grown up crime and they should be given grown up punishment, in my opinion.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Let's not forget about the thousands of black on white crimes (murders, rapes, assualts) that will NEVER be considored hate crimes. Only whites can be charged with hate crimes. Isn't it a wonderful world of double standards?

Still the kid needs to be charged as an adult with attempted muder or atleast ag assault.

I don't see why the punishment should be any more harsh if it was race related or not. Punish the action.

And attempted murder is the correct charge.
    "An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    How about an attempted murder charge? Holy crap!

Joker1
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking? This isn't first degree assault...the didn't hit him with bats. THEY TRIED TO KILL HIM
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Setting somebody on fire is not the same as punching them ,or hitting with a bat,stabbing them etc.I would assume you light em up you figure they will not be able to extinguish the fire before they die.ATTEMPTED MURDERshould be the charge.I agree with everybody else it seems like only white on black crime is considered racial.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Should be attempted murder and tried as an adult, when they commit adult crimes they should receive adult sentences.
    I do believe there are hate crimes but if they are going to use these standards in the court of law it should go both ways. White on black and black on white.
    The current laws are set up to pacify groups calling for action and not for equal justice.
    This crime only shows the inhumanity of humans and I believe it is learned at home.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Setting somebody on fire is not the same as punching them ,or hitting with a bat,stabbing them etc.I would assume you light em up you figure they will not be able to extinguish the fire before they die.ATTEMPTED MURDERshould be the charge.I agree with everybody else it seems like only white on black crime is considered racial.
    I agree. I can't believe the depravity of these punks.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    I hate "HATE" crime statutes...because really are there any "I really like you" crimes?

No crime should be treated any differently because of the words used or sexual orientation, color, religion of the victim.

Ha HA HA HA.. . Ya. Isn't that the truth..

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post

I agree… if the two attackers yelled positive words; with that mentality you could charge them with a lesser crime.

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Should be attempted murder and tried as an adult, when they commit adult crimes they should receive adult sentences.
    I do believe there are hate crimes but if they are going to use these standards in the court of law it should go both ways. White on black and black on white.
    The current laws are set up to pacify groups calling for action and not for equal justice.
    This crime only shows the inhumanity of humans and I believe it is learned at home.

+ 1

This wasn't a fight or anything other than attempted immolation of a person. If that's not attempted murder, I don't know what is. These animals need to be separated from humans for the duration of their miserable lives. Why they did it doesn't matter a whit to me.

'if the two attackers yelled positive words; with that mentality you could charge them with a lesser crime."

Excellent point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links