Man shot to death during home invasion.

This is a discussion on Man shot to death during home invasion. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Here is the link. News Story...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man shot to death during home invasion.

Man shot to death during home invasion.

Here is the link.

News Story
    With guns, we are 'citizens'.
    Without them, we are 'subjects'.

2. Remove Ads

+1 for the homeowner.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    +1 for the homeowner.
    i concur. too bad he had to use it, but just glad the BG was the only one harmed.

Wait a second!... You mean to tell me the alarm system didnt scare the guy away?
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Nice how it focuses on the criminal and not the victim. Title should read "Homeowner defends against late-night robbery"

Unforunately the GG will most likely face a civil suit in this case

The story...

Man shot to death during home invasion
    By Zakk Gammon

KEVIL, KY (KFVS) - A man was shot and killed in McCracken County after police say he tried to break into a family's home around 2:00 a.m.

The family apparently woke to the sound of the alarm system. The alarm indicated the door to the attached garage had been opened.The homeowner went outside to investigate, when he heard his wife inside screaming.

He ran back into the home where his wife told him the intruder, later identified as 18-year-old Andrew Caleb Barnett, was inside their attached garage attempting to get into the home through a wooden door with a window, according to police. The homeowner reportedly yelled several times that he had a gun, telling Barnett not to come inside. However, Barnett continued to make advances toward the man. Police say the homeowner fired one shot at Barnett, hitting him in the arm, and going into his chest area. Barnett apparently fell to the floor but got back up fighting the homeowner, at one point, biting him in the arm.

The fight continued through the home and eventually back into the garage. When police arrived they arrested Barnett and transported him to Western Baptist Hospital for the gunshot, but he ultimately died.

The McCracken County Police Department reports the 18-year-old was under the influence of Psilocybin Mushrooms, or "Magic Mushrooms" as they're called on the street, and thought he was inside his own home. At one point, he even called the homeowner "Dad".

Police located four people who apparently provided the drugs to Barnett and arrested them. They were identified as 19-year-old Taylor Thompson of West Paducah, 19-year-old Zachary Rodgers of Kevil, 18-year-old Ryan Bridges of West Paducah and 18-year-old Kristen Mohler of Kevil.

Additional charges are possible as this investigation continues. Charges against the homeowner are not expected.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fortunately the dirtbag was on 'mushrooms' and thought he was in his own home...he probably also thougt it was a July 4th celebration when he was shot...bye-bye.
    He got exactly what he deserved when he entered a private residence...
    When the alarm sounded, I wonder if the Brinks Home Security called within 2 seconds to see if every was OK?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    Nice how it focuses on the criminal and not the victim. Title should read "Homeowner defends against late-night robbery"
    How about "Homeowner defends self and family against late-night break-in by hopped-up-out-of-his-mind drug-user."

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    Wait a second!... You mean to tell me the alarm system didnt scare the guy away?
    See above.

Police located four people who apparently provided the drugs to Barnett and arrested them.
    Hope KY has/uses a Felony Homicide, or Aggravated Involuntary Manslaughter, or some law of the sort
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

This is why you keep shooting til the threat is over,even tho he later died from the gunshot wound,he fought the homeowner after being shot,apparently the homeowner thought he had magic bullets
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

DM2
    Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    Unforunately the GG will most likely face a civil suit in this case
    That would be unfortunate. Thank God MI's laws protect us from being sued in this situation.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

I wonder what would have happened if the homeowner did not have a gun? Probably he and/or his wife would have died instead.

It would not surprise me if a lot of criminals are hopped up on drugs when they commit a crime. People will kill for a few dollars to acquire the next "high." I'll never believe the BG was some poor confused kid who thought he was in his own home.

The Commonwealth Attorney says the homeowner won't be charged. Don't make me find it but in the Kentucky Revised Statutes somewhere it states that a person involved in a justified homicide such as this is protected from civil suits.

God bless Kentucky.

i don't know. if it turns out this kid has no record he might have mistaken this house for his own,its happened before.
    sad thing is the whole thing could have been easily avoided in many ways.
    i certainly don't blame the homeowner for shooting though. i too would have shot.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Check out this comment after the story.

I find this very disturbing! If the kid was yelling dad, why would you shoot him? Couldn't he just wait for the cops to come. I do find it wrong tho that he was on drugs! When you are on shrooms you helucinate, ultimately making you think things that aren't true. Sure the owners didn't know that, but still if he was yelling out dad he should have known something was wrong! Should have shot him in the leg atleast, not in the arm because that could be landed anywhere on his body, which it did and in chest killing him. Sad to see someone die so young... Sad for the family. Hopefully kids can learn from this! Pay attention! Drugs aren't made out to be as good as you think. In the end they could just kill you.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Those home security alarm system commercials keep on cutting out the part where the homeowner gets their gun...Wassup with that???

They need to do a take off those old cereal commercials: "A firearm. Part of an effective home security system".

Back to this story, though. The intruder was shot but kept on coming and started fighting. I guess that "triple-tap" or Mozambique Drill is the way to go.
    The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the situation. The second rule is Train and Prepare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links