13 y.o. carjacked woman, grandchildren at gunpoint

This is a discussion on 13 y.o. carjacked woman, grandchildren at gunpoint within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 13-year-old carjacked woman, 3 grandchildren at gunpoint - OrlandoSentinel.com Police: Boy carjacked woman, grandchildren at gunpoint Susan Jacobson Sentinel Staff Writer 10:27 PM EDT, July ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13 y.o. carjacked woman, grandchildren at gunpoint

13-year-old carjacked woman, 3 grandchildren at gunpoint - OrlandoSentinel.com

Police: Boy carjacked woman, grandchildren at gunpoint
    Susan Jacobson Sentinel Staff Writer

10:27 PM EDT, July 31, 2009

A 13-year-old boy carjacked a woman and her three grandchildren today in broad daylight, authorities said.

The boy pointed a handgun at the woman as she walked to her car in the Circuit City plaza at 1140 E. Altamonte Drive about 3:20 p.m., Altamonte police Officer Timothy Hyer said.

"Give me your keys," he said, according to investigators.

The woman complied, and the boy fumbled for a couple of minutes before he got in the car started and took off, Hyer said.

An undercover officer spotted the red Lexus on Merritt Street in unincorporated Seminole County and got close enough to see the vehicle tag. That's when the car sped off across some railroad tracks, flew into the air and flipped over at Marker Street, east of Ronald Reagan Boulevard, Hyer said. The car was totaled, the windshield shattered.

Despite the severity of the accident, the boy appeared unhurt. He was taken to Florida Hospital Altamonte as a precaution and booked into the Seminole County Juvenile Assessment Center in Sanford later. The boy, who is on probation for another offense, was arrested on a carjacking charge. Details of his previous record were not available.

Police recovered a handgun from the Lexus, Hyer said.

The woman and children, ages 8, 6 and 22 months, were shaken but not injured. Her husband picked them up at the police station, Hyer said.
    Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Angry

His parents have to be proud of him!!!! Sounds like he is on the way to an early grave.

Might be callous, but he almost solved the problem on his own.

DM2
    Unfortunately, this happens all too often here in metro Detroit. Fortunately, based on info I received in my CPL class, its legal to use deadly force here to defend yourself in a carjacking.

I'm glad everyone was only shaken but not injured. I hope they try him as an adult and throw the book at him. I don't care that he is only 13. You do the crime, you do the time.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

"the boy appeared unhurt"

That's too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    Might be callous, but he almost solved the problem on his own.
    I don't think thats callous. At the age of 13, doing violent crime, its pretty hard to change someone that went that far down the road. almost useless to see if they will change
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

this guy is clearly drinking the wrong kool aid..

now this lady and her 3 grandchildren will surely be traumatized at least for some time, their transportation has been stolen and totaled. All for what...some 13 year old kid joyriding or whatever his motives were..he deserves the adult version and the furthest extent.

An elderly woman and 3 young grandchildren are surely a target, and I'm sure no 13 year old kid would approach and attempt a carjacking on me or any other adult male, but if he ever came up to me with something to say like that I'd have trouble taking him seriously and I'd have to introduce him to my pistol and/or belt.

A lesson must be learned. Hopefully, if he ends up in jail, someone will teach him that juvie or jail in general is no place for him. This may be stereotyping but this sounds like some hot-shot 13 year old kid who "knows everything" and those types really change quickly when introduced to the innards of the detention center.

So I expect to see his momma show up on the TV news claiming the po-po had no right to chase her boy and risk his life...

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Here is Florida for every incident like this there are 10 where BG comes up to car to look down the wrong end of grandmas .38 and run away. Where BG kicks in door to get a chest full of buckshot. Where BG sees the bulge in the pocket and "Shops" elswhere. Only the ones like this make the news. Lady on Myrtle Grove Cir here shot (and rehabilitated:) ) a BG kicking in her door a few weeks ago, I listened on the scanner as the police responded, barely made the local news.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    To call and treat this predator like a misunderstood "boy" will only further exacerbate the problem. Sooner or later he hill kill, be killed or both.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Just another reason I moved far from that area a few years back.
    oldogy
    Government is out of control
    "If gun laws in fact worked, the sponsors of this type of legislation should have no difficulty drawing upon long lists of examples of crime rates reduced by such legislation. That they cannot do so after a century and a half of trying -- " Sen Orrin G. Hatch

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

With the priors, maybe he'll be going to the pokey finally so he won't be endangering other peoples' lives.
    I'm just glad the family's ok.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

The gangs from LA have moved into my neighborhood and they are recruiting faster than corporations here in Renton, WA. The gang members are becoming younger and their company "perks" are getting better. You know something is wrong when you see brand new Jaguars and Range Rovers parked in the driveways of subsidized housing.

With the current ACLU /NAACP tirade against LEOs, they think twice before arresting anyone.
    Vince K
    Aerospace Designer, Freemason, NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by compact View Post
    this guy is clearly drinking the wrong kool aid..

now this lady and her 3 grandchildren will surely be traumatized at least for some time, their transportation has been stolen and totaled. All for what...some 13 year old kid joyriding or whatever his motives were..he deserves the adult version and the furthest extent.

An elderly woman and 3 young grandchildren are surely a target, and I'm sure no 13 year old kid would approach and attempt a carjacking on me or any other adult male, but if he ever came up to me with something to say like that I'd have trouble taking him seriously and I'd have to introduce him to my pistol and/or belt.

A lesson must be learned. Hopefully, if he ends up in jail, someone will teach him that juvie or jail in general is no place for him. This may be stereotyping but this sounds like some hot-shot 13 year old kid who "knows everything" and those types really change quickly when introduced to the innards of the detention center.
    I don't see it the same way. This kid is either a hardened criminal already, or well on the way. He's been in juvie, I'll bet. Couldn't care less.

It'll stop when they put him away for life, or bury him. JMO.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Another frightening aspect to this type of violent crime by YOUNG juveniles is that they are not either old enough or mentally mature enough to actually value somebody else's human life.

I can't imagine the emotional consequences of drawing against and having to shoot a 13 yr old "kid" but they have likely spent enough time "shooting people" in video games that they actually de-humanize real flesh-and-blood people. Its probably an even bet whether they will leave the victim unharmed or shoot them just for the heck-of-it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links