Fired for CATCHING the bank robber.

This is a discussion on Fired for CATCHING the bank robber. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; SEATTLE A Seattle bank teller has lost his job because he ran down a would-be bank robber and held him until police arrived. Jim ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fired for CATCHING the bank robber.

SEATTLE A Seattle bank teller has lost his job because he ran down a would-be bank robber and held him until police arrived.

Jim Nicholson, who worked at a Key Bank branch, says he understands the bank's policy that employees comply with robbery demands and avoid dangerous confrontations. But he tells The Seattle Times that his instincts took over when the man demanded money during the Tuesday incident.

Nicholson says he tried to grab the man, then chased him several blocks before knocking him down with help from a passer-by. The man turned out to be unarmed.

The 30-year-old Nicholson was fired Thursday. Key Bank officials declined to comment, but Seattle police and the FBI say they advise tellers against acting against robbers. Instead, police Sgt. Sean Whitcomb says, they should be good witnesses and comply with demands unless their personal safety is in jeopardy.

-----

Of course. They also used to tell airline passengers to comply with hijacker's directions and everything would be OK.

I'd rather the teller would pull out their concealed handgun and blow the perp into next Tuesday, but that's something Ted Nugent and I will just have to agree on.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I can understand the teller's impulse. Glad it worked out for him as far as his safety goes, think it's pretty low that it didn't work out for him at work.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Kudos on the bank teller's initiative on catching the bank robber. The question I have is was he authorized to carry a weapon while on the job? If he was authorized to carry a weapon, did he put the bank in some type of legal jeopardy? The money is insured, so there really was no risk of losing the money.

As to the bank teller pursuing the robber, well, that's something better better left to the LEO's. My heart goes out to the guy for showing initiative all the same.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

Sounds like he should of got a raise not fired

Sad state of things, but not even remotely unexpected outcome for not just bank tellers, but many (most?) employees of retail/customer service based businesses.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    Somebody robbed the bank here ten years ago. The employee who ran after the robber is the bank manager today. Rural small town. You gotta love it.

It's Seattle, what else would you expect?
    This topic was just thoroughly discussed a few days ago...opinions are divided on what to do...lots of things to consider because of liability.

May not be right or fair, but when your business is at stake, understandable.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If you break the rules of employment, termination of employment can occur. What's the problem?

And NO, he wasn't fired for catching the criminal. He was fired for breaking the rules. Likely, they include his failure to comply and also his leaving of work without permission.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

perhaps the PD will offer him a job now..
    "Brains before Bullets"

It doesn't pay to be a hero these days. They would like everyone to be passive.

We had the same thing here in Canada awhile back. A Canadian tire gas bar employee held a shop lifter in the store and called police. He was fired for breaking the rules for interfering. I am not understanding the thought of this the employee is saving the store or bank money. No loss and no insurance claims and no insurance premiums rising.??? Maybe it is the fact that no one else did anything and they look BAAAAHD.

Obey the rules.........good leason for him.

Maybe another line of work would be better for him if his "instinct" is to chase bad guys.

Maybe some other company would be glad to have him.

Maybe he can feel better about the whole thing if he takes in "Civil Disobedience" By Henry David Thoreau

Having been robbed twice on the job I can understand his feelings. I Remember the cops telling us after each robbery if the come after you or family don't fight back. Like that's gonna happen.
    My open carry and gun / shooting blog
    http://adventuresinopencarr.blogspot.com/

Other than the job loss, I'm glad all ended well for the teller. For what they pay a lowly teller, their is no way in hell I would chase a robber. Maybe the local PD could use a good man! Screw the bank!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    It doesn't pay to be a hero these days. They would like everyone to be passive.
    +1. It's utterly disgusting.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links