Bad: Discharge in Police cruiser on display

This is a discussion on Bad: Discharge in Police cruiser on display within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Des Moines Police cruiser on display at community event had a round chambered in a shotgun inside squad car. Discharge ocurred, apparently child was injured, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Discharge in Police cruiser on display

Bad: Discharge in Police cruiser on display

Des Moines Police cruiser on display at community event had a round chambered in a shotgun inside squad car. Discharge ocurred, apparently child was injured, not seriously. Story in Des Moines Register:

Three-year-old *****remains in good condition today at Mercy Medical Center after being injured in an accidental shotgun discharge from a Polk County sheriff deputy's shotgun.

***** was hit by glass shards or pellets from the shotgun round as the ceiling-mounted weapon discharged inside the squad car during a community event Sunday at Union Park on Des Moines' east side. The blast took out a window as ***** was standing nearby.

The youngster who apparently pulled the trigger ran away and still has not been located, according to Des Moines Police Sgt. Lori Lavorato.

Polk County Sheriff William McCarthy called Sunday's accidental shooting a "serious breach of security."

He said, "I feel terrible and I certainly feel terrible for the trauma the family is going through. We will learn from this experience and move ahead."

He added, "The kid who pulled the trigger is in no trouble. He didn't do anything you wouldn't expect a kid to do. We are the ones who are supposed to be conscious of safety issues."

The sheriff said Deputy Keith Onley is on administrative leave for now. It was his squad car and his shotgun. "We want to give him some time away while we work with Des Moines police and look at this objectively."

No one feels worse about this than Deputy Onley, McCarthy said. But there should not have been a round in the chamber.

The presence of shotgun shells in the magazine was not a breach of security. McCarthy said a deputy is expected to be able to react should something occur -- even at a community event.

In the meantime, officials will begin to look at the locking devices for shotguns. "We don't want a kid to get in a car and pull the trigger," McCarthy said.

Des Moines Police Sgt. Joe Gonzalez said in a report that he thought the shotgun blast was fireworks at first.

"As I went to the area where I heard the noise I heard a female yelling, 'My baby, my baby,'" the sergeant said in a report. "I then observed a driver's side rear window glass was shattered on a Polk County marked unit and a young black female that was bleeding from her upper chest and arm. There were some medics that were at their rescue unit as part of a display and they also came over to assist. The mother was very frantic and the medics advised that they wanted to transport her to the hospital right away."

Gonzalez said officers were able to determine that ***** was standing outside the passenger side rear door when the gun went off. The door was open and an unidentified male juvenile "got in the front seat somehow and pulled the trigger on a ceiling mounted shotgun, causing it to discharge."

The report said, "We were not able to determine who the male juvenile was that pulled the trigger. A couple of people that were in the area stayed to give witness statements and fire personnel were also interviewed by detectives."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by radlar View Post
    The presence of shotgun shells in the magazine was not a breach of security. McCarthy said a deputy is expected to be able to react should something occur -- even at a community event.
    ...umm..whose opinion was this? The reporter's?

I'm not gonna make a judgement call one way or the other, I'm just a little confused by the article...

I'd look for the kid with the stinky pants fer the trigger puller
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

What?

Quote Originally Posted by radlar View Post

Polk County Sheriff William McCarthy called Sunday's accidental shooting a "serious breach of security."

OK so what was the breach of security?
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Moderator
    That a kid could enter into an unlocked patrol car that had a loaded shotgun in it.

The car stays locked at all times. If in a display, there should be no loaded weapon.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

How large of an investigation does it take to figure out that someone screwed up 'big time'?
    OK, now for the next big investigation, who was in charge of the car and gun?

Maybe they should involve the FBI in this difficult 'screw up'......this might not be solved for months...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

When I was an LEO we were required to lock our units when we exited them,everybody had a spare key and all the units were keyed alike,that way we could bail with the engine running as we hit the lock switch on the way out.I would think somebody needs to be charged with failure to secure a loaded weapon from being accessed by a minor
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

From my read through it sounds like it was "on display" as in kids were free to get in and explore around first hand. Kind of a instructional setting.

Also, the individual that pulled the trigger is called a "juvenile". To me that implies adolescent and thus old enough to know better. I dont think it was a 4 year old kid that did this, but thats just my interpretation.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Oooops. Sounds like this officer needs to be put on Barney Fife status for a while (one bullet in the shirt pocket).
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

As I read through this I have one question that keeps coming up.

Why was there a round in the chamber of the shotgun?

As far as I know, and by the policy of both agencies I have worked for, shotguns are to be carried without a round in the chamber.

I hope the kid heals OK and that the deputy is able to get some remedial instruction on how to properly carry a shotgun in a vehicle. I could see forgetting that you have a round in the chamber, but that's why you are suppossed to check the weapon before and after shift.

Biker

sounds like someone had become way to complacent.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

I knew a woman who was 5'2" - 5'3" tall and determined to be a Deputy Sheriff. They had a minimum requirement of 5'6" tall. However , she pushed and they put some "challenges" for her and if she did the training, did well, and several other things... they would waive the height requirement. They didn't think she had any chance of passing all of them.

She did.

The first night out on the job with her Senior partner...... some guys pulled guns (on-going burglary of a business) and started to shoot at the other officer as he was getting out of the car. She got out of the car with the shotgun in hand and dropped / wounded 2 of the 5, and went after the now fleeing others.

When they later looked in the car... uh, she didn't "unlock" the shotgun to remove it.... she pulled out the whole carrier out that held the shotgun in the car, that was supposed to be securely mounted in the car. They never questioned her determination, willingness nor her verocity again.

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I knew a woman who was 5'2" - 5'3" tall and determined to be a Deputy Sheriff. They had a minimum requirement of 5'6" tall. However , she pushed and they put some "challenges" for her and if she did the training, did well, and several other things... they would waive the height requirement. They didn't think she had any chance of passing all of them.

She did.

The first night out on the job with her Senior partner...... some guys pulled guns (on-going burglary of a business) and started to shoot at the other officer as he was getting out of the car. She got out of the car with the shotgun in hand and dropped / wounded 2 of the 5, and went after the now fleeing others.

When they later looked in the car... uh, she didn't "unlock" the shotgun to remove it.... she pulled out the whole carrier out that held the shotgun in the car, that was supposed to be securely mounted in the car. They never questioned her determination, willingness nor her verocity again.

AWESOME
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

She did.

Adrenaline is pretty amazing stuff

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    As I read through this I have one question that keeps coming up.

Why was there a round in the chamber of the shotgun?

I agree - why the need to have a round in the chamber?

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links