Good? Bad? Suicide by cop 59 rounds fired, 43 wounds?!

This is a discussion on Good? Bad? Suicide by cop 59 rounds fired, 43 wounds?! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Today we are learning much more about a man killed by Chattanooga police officers. The medical examiner released a portion of his investigation into the ...

Today we are learning much more about a man killed by Chattanooga police officers.

The medical examiner released a portion of his investigation into the death of Alonzo Heyward. There are 43 gunshot wounds. He was shot in all areas of his body from his chin to his ankles.

Entrance and exit wounds will be detailed in the autopsy report. The final autopsy will take another few weeks.

The medical examiner has given the results to his family.

(links to ME report and dashcam video included with the actual article)

Last month, Heyward was threatening to commit suicide at a restaurant on Rossville Boulevard. Officers followed him to his house where they say he pointed the gun at them. The police tried to negotiate with him but were not successful. The report says police used a taser gun in attempt to disarm Heyward but the prongs did not anchor in his body..

The six officers fired multiple rounds from their pistols resulting in Heyward's death, the report says. He was taken to the Medical Examiner's office from the scene. Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Special Agent Tom Washington is investigating.

It is considered a homicide.

Autopsy Released in Police Involved Shooting | police, released, learning - Local News - WTVC NewsChannel 9: Chattanooga News, Weather, Radar, Sports, Lottery
    Last edited by sirdarksoul; August 4th, 2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: adding more info

With this and the 4th. Ave. project police shooting I wonder if there might be some 'civil unrest' soon.

And the closing of Deep Blue. One of the areas my security route covers is on Brainerd Rd. Driving thru that mess on weekends was a joy.

Wow. I dunno all the facts because obviously I wasn't there. But, 3 separate sessions of bullets fired at the guy totaling at least 59 rounds seems quite a bit excessive.

So much for the average gunfight lasting 3-5 seconds and 3-4 rounds being used.

Did the dead guy fire his weapon?

73% on target rate? not too bad.

6 officers firing just under 10 rounds each is a lot, excessive? I don't know, I'm shooting until I feel the threat is stopped or I'm out of ammo so it's too tough to say with the info here.

Sounds to me like some of those officers need to work on their marksmanship

But that is 43 from his chin to his ankles..... ???? That isn't 43 in the center mass or head shot,...

Something seems fishy here,. I don't know to many LEO's that would fire that many rounds,... Six LEO's all firing 3-5 rounds only adds to 30 rounds at the most,. ???? There is more to the story..

Quote Originally Posted by TucAzRider View Post
    I don't know to many LEO's that would fire that many rounds,... Six LEO's all firing ........... There is more to the story..
    How many rounds would you fire if he pointed a gun at you?

With the stress of having a gun pointed at them, a moving/ falling target and the chaos of that many rounds going off I understand the widespread pattern of hits.

This video makes me think of two things. 1. start carrying my spare mags, and 2. don't stop firing until the treat is gone.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

If you shoot at a cop, expect a whole truck load of ammo coming back at you...I don't have a problem with that...next story please.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you shoot at a cop, expect a whole truck load of ammo coming back at you...I don't have a problem with that...next story please.
    That aint reality, it actuality.

Quote Originally Posted by RXtion View Post
    Wow. I dunno all the facts because obviously I wasn't there. But, 3 separate sessions of bullets fired at the guy totaling at least 59 rounds seems quite a bit excessive.

So much for the average gunfight lasting 3-5 seconds and 3-4 rounds being used.

Did the dead guy fire his weapon?
    It does not matter if the deceased fired his weapon or not.

If one of those officers felt he or she was in jeopardy, they were justified in shooting. The fact that the officer next to you is shooting is not of concern. You are only concerned with the rounds you fire, and the target's response to the rounds.

Given that it's really easy to fire six rounds in under one second, and not knowing if the other officers are firing or not, I can easily see how this many rounds can be fired. Keep in mind, you fire as long as the threat is in your sights.

I'm more bothered by what I read as the use of a Taser on an armed individual. The Taser is NOT the appropriate response to someone that is armed with a lethal weapon or instrument.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; August 4th, 2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: typo

It's my understanding that only 3 officers fired the 59 rounds. What the other 3 were doing I have no idea. The dead guy didn't fire, but pointed his rifle at the officers after the attempted taseing (sp?). Justified shooting yes...adrenaline fueled overkill...prolly. I actually drove thru the area while it was going on but heard no gunshots, just wondered why CPD had MickeyD's surrounded.

300 rounds would be a bit excessive. not way to excessive, but a bit excessive.
    if you want to be shot, pointing a gun at a police officer is a good way to have that happen. I would only be upset by having to replace that many rounds to the PD in question. one less over crowded jail cell.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Links