Very bad: gunman shoots 10+, kills 4+ in Pittsburgh gym

This is a discussion on Very bad: gunman shoots 10+, kills 4+ in Pittsburgh gym within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; At least 4 dead, 10 wounded in mass shooting at Collier gym - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Apparently he fired off 40-50 rounds, starting in an aerobics ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

At least 4 dead, 10 wounded in mass shooting at Collier gym - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Apparently he fired off 40-50 rounds, starting in an aerobics class where he first turned off the lights. At least 10 wounded, maybe 14; at least 4 dead. No other details yet.

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    What is with turning out the lights? Too much of a coward to see their faces? Pray for the victims and their families, but don't leave the house without your carry.

This happened in Bridgeville, I live in Carnegie (aprox 15min drive)

Several people I know including a cop who is a good friend go there on a regular basis, as well as former Carlynton and Chartiers Valley High School students I know first hand work out there.

I know a young lady from high school that was injured in the leg, and a younger brother of my friend was there aiding an injured woman, sadly she died in his arms.

The one woman was an instructor and about to go on maternity leave, she was 7-9months along when she was killed.

While mad, I am saddened by this senseless killing

I will keep all posted. And will post any info for supporting the families as I can.

Thanks all, pray for those slain, and hope for good recovery for the injured

EDIT: I can only wish I had been there armed... :( in the hope I could have averted fire from the women..
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ACT 235 Certified #45700

don't know how many times i have to say it. why can't these sick scum of the
    earth monsters have to take innocent people with them. do the world a favor
    and just rid yourself from the face of the earth (ALONE) i just don't understand.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

It is sad and a tragedy. I hope that all that say they lock their guns in their cars when they go to the gym reconsider. I may change my gym carry from the 642 to a glock 26.

What a shame.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    What is with turning out the lights? Too much of a coward to see their faces? Pray for the victims and their families, but don't leave the house without your carry.
    Turning the lights off creates fear....makes it hard for people to run.
    This can happen anytime and in anyplace. Keep alert....eyes open. My prayers for all those victims and families.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by glock27mark View Post
    don't know how many times i have to say it. why can't these sick scum of the
    earth monsters have to take innocent people with them. do the world a favor
    and just rid yourself from the face of the earth (ALONE) i just don't understand.
    misery loves company.what a waste.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

"...The superintendent, who said the guns were all registered to the gunman, said "there was nothing anyone could have done" to prevent the slaughter..."

Wrong again...someone inside the gym who was armed could have ended this coward's spree or possible have stopped it completely.

When at the gym, I usually have my P-3AT tucked inside my gym shorts...not my usual Kimber, but a dirtbag stopper that would be more effective than a, "Please don't shoot me!" plea.
    OMO, but this story strengthens my reason for CCW while doing my cardio work.

Stay armed...yet another reason...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

And some question the sanity and need of carrying at such a place.

Anytime ... anywhere.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    And some question the sanity and need of carrying at such a place.

Anytime ... anywhere.
    How true...

My wife and I belong to a local gym...a very nice place. Now my wife does not question my CCW at all...not at church, nor anywhere else, but I can sense that she would never expect problems at such a nice place.
    This morning's announcement on the news was a great eye-opener for her...I think I saw another moment of 'any time, any place' on her face.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; August 5th, 2009 at 03:25 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What's freaky is that there was a thread here a week ago about CC at the gym. I always have my gym bag with me with my handgun inside. I am considering getting a new carry rig so I can carry while working out. In addition to the tragedy of dead and wounded, events like this only strengthen the position of close minded antis and our leftist legislators.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

This for me is very interesting as last night I was at my local gym talking with the front desk/security guy about survival mentality. he and I both come from the same background as youths growing up and we standing outside away from the gym membership spoke very frankly about various what if scenarios including personal and family security.

I was last night and am always when there carrying Colt Defender with a 7rd . mag (for maximum stealth) in an IWB holster strong side along with a ten rd. mag holstered on my weak side as I was wearing gym shorts. Other days I wear long track pants. He has no idea I was carrying or that I always do while on the floor.
    I went in and did my normal routine including multiple sets of pushups and pullups. No one is the wiser.

I got home around 2A and before going to bed I noted this subject item as being headline news at ABCNews.com.
    I carry at the gym concealed and on body. Always have.

Anywhere, anytime, any place, anyone.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Man, that guy had some serious issues. I just got through reading his online blog about his 'exit plan' to carry out the act that he did; very scary, homicidal stuff...

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Being a relatively older guy, I'm not much into reading "blogs" (heck, it took me a while to figure out just what a "blog" actually was ). Anyway, I wonder if there were folks who read this guys blog BEFORE he carried out his plan--did they alert LEO agencies about his blog? In this day and age, we should have learned our lessons about "odd behavior" and ignoring it..............

Horrible......

With each new one of these attacks I have less and less to say.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links