Good, a Judge Finally had some Guts in Elmore County Alabama

This is a discussion on Good, a Judge Finally had some Guts in Elmore County Alabama within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; August 7, 2009 Judge overrules jury, issues death penalty By Marty Roney Circuit Judge John Bush overruled the jury’s recommendation and sentenced Calvin McMillan to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good, a Judge Finally had some Guts in Elmore County Alabama

Good, a Judge Finally had some Guts in Elmore County Alabama

August 7, 2009

Judge overrules jury, issues death penalty

By Marty Roney

Circuit Judge John Bush overruled the jury’s recommendation and sentenced Calvin McMillan to the death penalty on Friday for killing a man in a Millbrook Wal-Mart parking lot.

McMillan, 20, of Opelika, was convicted in June of two counts of capital murder in the shooting death of James Bryan Martin, 23, a father of two. The jury that convicted him voted 8-4 in favor of recommending the sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Martin’s family burst into tears when Bush announced that McMillan would face the death penalty.

“Of course the family is very pleased by the judge’s decision,” said District Attorney Randall Houston. “But this of course will not bring their loved one back. Bryan Martin was a loving father, husband and son. He had a full life ahead of him.”

McMillan’s defense attorneys said they were disappointed in the judge’s decision.

“We obviously felt that the judge should have accepted the jury’s recommendation of life in prison without parole.,” said Kenny James, one of McMillan’s attorneys.

Martin was gunned down the night of Aug. 29, 2007, in the Millbrook Wal-Mart parking lot. Prosecutors proved that McMillan killed Martin during the theft of Martin’s 2004 Ford F-150 pickup. Martin had stopped by the store that night on the way home from a Montgomery Biscuits game to pick up diapers and baby wipes.

McMillan shot Martin four times. The last shot was fired after McMillan pulled Martin from his pickup. McMillan got into the truck, then jumped back out and shot Martin as he lay on the asphalt. McMillan then got back into the truck and sped away.

Prosecutors pursued capital murder charges because Martin was killed during the commission of a robbery and McMillan fired into an occupied vehicle.
    This is different but the Right Kind of Different! There is no fear of penalty in our society today and people antiscipate a jury ruling, "Life without Parole" and that is the norm. Thank the Lord Judge Bush overuled the norm.
    BTW: McMillan has already been involved in stabbing folks while awaiting sentencing! So that proves again that BG's will always carry some type of weapon!

Take Care
    Thanks for reading my rants!
    Stay Safe
    Boze
    Boze
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to, this is the last stand on earth." Ronald Reagan

"Gentlemen, Prepare to defend yourselves" SGM Basil Plumley

2. Remove Ads

Looks like he got what he deserves. The unfortunate thing is he will most likely sit in jail for 10 years before it happens. They should allow a couple months to get things in order then carry out verdict.
    CHP holder. EDC G27. I support VCDL, so glad to have them fighting for my rights.

Some will argue that its cheaper to keep him incarcerated for the rest of his life. I say, I don't care, flip the switch and change the sheets we need the space in the prison for some who are working their way up the crime ladder.

Joker1

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post

Some will argue that its cheaper to keep him incarcerated for the rest of his life. I say, I don't care, flip the switch and change the sheets we need the space in the prison for some who are working their way up the crime ladder.

Joker1
    Cheaper how? What's the electric bill for 30 seconds of juice? I'd be happy to make a donation.

In fact, better yet, I have a brand spankin' new case of ammo. Do they still use firing squads? I'll donate a $20 box of 9mm.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Ya,. I'm not sure I see how it came be cheaper to feed and cloth a person in prison - vs - lethal injection?? and a Pine box...

Quote Originally Posted by Loadedtech View Post
    Looks like he got what he deserves. The unfortunate thing is he will most likely sit in jail for 10 years before it happens. They should allow a couple months to get things in order then carry out verdict.
    Why wait that long, the death penalty should be handed down as the convicted sets in an electric chair. When the sentence is read the judge flips the switch and it's a done deal.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Sounds like this guy deserves it 100%, but I'm uncertain why people are so eager to reduce the ability to appeal. There's a lot of evidence that our government has put a lot of innocent people to death. Given my other interactions with the government, I have no trouble believing that they'd screw that up too.

The cost of verifying is that it takes a long time to put people to death. Positive target identification takes time but is worth it to avoid killing the wrong guy.

Call me a kooky liberal, but I'd rather not have a quick China-style execution factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Cheaper how? What's the electric bill for 30 seconds of juice? I'd be happy to make a donation.

In fact, better yet, I have a brand spankin' new case of ammo. Do they still use firing squads? I'll donate a $20 box of 9mm.
    In Kansas they've been discussing dropping the DP due to costs associated with the appeals process and hiring experts and yada yada yada...nonsense.

Electricity would be fairly cheap but I don't know if they do that anymore, you know prisoners rights and all that jazz.

What is silly is they'll probably use an alcohol soaked cotton ball to clean the area right before they stick 'em, wouldn't want him to get a rash or anything.

I'm with you on the firing squad idea, this guy would at least get a chance to feel some of what his victim felt.

Joker1

Send the bill to the family.
    Tom
    Osculare pultem meam! - Kiss my grits!

Quote Originally Posted by Loadedtech View Post

A couple of months?
    How about a couple of hours?

----------------------------------------------------------
    To the OP...
    I'm glad to see a judge with a 'set'...nice judging...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Sounds like this guy deserves it 100%, but I'm uncertain why people are so eager to reduce the ability to appeal. There's a lot of evidence that our government has put a lot of innocent people to death. Given my other interactions with the government, I have no trouble believing that they'd screw that up too.

The cost of verifying is that it takes a long time to put people to death. Positive target identification takes time but is worth it to avoid killing the wrong guy.

Call me a kooky liberal, but I'd rather not have a quick China-style execution factory.
    He had already put three rounds in the guy while he was sitting in his own truck. Pulled him out of the truck, got in the truck and then back out to put round number 4 in him. There is no need for appeal in his case as it was all on Wal-Mart Security Cams. He executed his victim and now though things are different he will join the 200+ death row inmates in Alabama.

I am not calling you a kooky liberal but this guy, at least to me and I can't change anything, forfeited any suggestion of an appeal when he got back out of the truck and put number 4 in his victim. Why would you, if you wanted a truck and you planned to steal it, why would you put 3 rounds through the door of the vehicle you want for you own?

Btw: This Judge put some folks back on the streets of Elmore County some years back. They moved away and then returned to Kill again. Maybe he is thinking about those deaths or maybe he is thinking about the next election as many folks including myself and my wife and many of my church members signed a petition to get him to reverse the jury recommendation. Wow, maybe I did have something to do with "change"! Anyway enough ranting. The citizens of Elmore County feel a little better this evening.

Thanks for reading my rants
    Take Care and Stay Safe
    Boze
    Boze
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to, this is the last stand on earth." Ronald Reagan

"Gentlemen, Prepare to defend yourselves" SGM Basil Plumley

3 cheers.....

for Judge Bush. How great it would be if some other Judges found some intestinal fortitude inside themselves, and followed His Honor's example of common sense!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

DP cases is one thing the Chinese do right.

VIP Member

Chinese do it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    DP cases is one thing the Chinese do right.
    Chinese do it right? I thought we all called them "brutal commies."

The Saudis do dp cases right too. So did the Taliban. So did the Khemer Rouge.

Why waste ammo on a lowlife? Bring back the gallows!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links