11 year old boy shot with sawed off shotgun

This is a discussion on 11 year old boy shot with sawed off shotgun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Oakland Boy Shot in Face While Playing With Sawed-Off Shotgun OAKLAND, Calif. Police in Oakland say an 11-year-old boy has been shot in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 year old boy shot with sawed off shotgun

VIP Member

11 year old boy shot with sawed off shotgun

Oakland Boy Shot in Face While Playing With Sawed-Off Shotgun

OAKLAND, Calif. Police in Oakland say an 11-year-old boy has been shot in the face while playing with a gun he found.

KTVU-TV reports that the boy was taken Friday night to Oakland's Children's Hospital with injuries to his left eye and cheek. Police say he also may have lost a thumb.

They say the boy and a friend found a sawed-off 20-gauge shotgun in the garage of an apartment building. They say one boy was playing with the trigger and the other was holding the barrel when the gun went off and fired birdshot.

Police Sgt. Dave Cronin says it appeared the gun was being stored in the garage and that the owner kept it for self-protection.

Authorities are seeking the gun's owner, who may face charges in the incident.
    Finally, a news story that admits someone had their finger on the trigger.

Oakland Boy Shot in Face While Playing With Sawed-Off Shotgun - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

How do they know the shottie isn't NFA compliant (SBS) if they don't know/can't find the owner? Irresponsible storage? Yes. Immediate felon? No.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Sad to hear that happened,. but it is good they put in there that "It didn't go off by itself".... I'm sure that was kids brought up in households that didn't have any guns,. Never taught gun safety,..

I'm sure when they find out who the knucklehead was that owned the loaded shotgun sitting in the garage, they will fry him/her for sure..

Stored a shotgun with ammo in it. Nice
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

I'd hate to be that gunowner, but then I would never store a shotgun with ammo in the chamber. If someone has to ask why they are in need of a Basic Gun Safety class.

There is no substitute for education.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    1. Stored with ammo? 2. Stored in the basement of an apartment building?
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

I'd hate to be that gunowner, but then I would never store a shotgun with ammo in the chamber. If someone has to ask why they are in need of a Basic Gun Safety class.

There is no substitute for education.

Biker
    What good is a home defense shot gun when you have to sit for 3 minutes reloading it first? @ 11 years old he was old enough to know not to play with it, and at the same time old enough to figure out how to pump it on his own (assuming pump action). It likely was loaded with an empty mag and he cocked it on his own. IMO this doesnt seem so much a matter of irresponsible storage as failure to teach the kids how to handle (or not to handle) firearms.

Pretty much all home defense weapons have to be quickly and easily accessed, which is a catch 22 when there are kids in the house.

EDIT
    I forgot/missed it was in an apartment complex. That is stupid to have it in a publicly accessible area if it was for home protection. In their own apartment would have been different. How did they expect to get it from the garage if they needed it?

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    What good is a home defense shot gun when you have to sit for 3 minutes reloading it first?
    You definitely need training on loading a shotgun...respectfully suggesting, of course.

I keep a coach bun in the bedroom open safe. The coach gun has a sleeve with five shells on it, and two more shells on the safe shelf right above the gun. I can grab the gun and have the gun loaded in about 3-4 seconds...the time it would take to exit the closet.

To the OP...
    Definitely an irrisponsible gun owner for him/her to have left a loaded firearm with access by strangers...why?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm glad the child is still alive. The gun owner was irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    What good is a home defense shot gun when you have to sit for 3 minutes reloading it first? @ 11 years old he was old enough to know not to play with it, and at the same time old enough to figure out how to pump it on his own (assuming pump action). It likely was loaded with an empty mag and he cocked it on his own. IMO this doesnt seem so much a matter of irresponsible storage as failure to teach the kids how to handle (or not to handle) firearms.

Pretty much all home defense weapons have to be quickly and easily accessed, which is a catch 22 when there are kids in the house.

EDIT
    I forgot/missed it was in an apartment complex. That is stupid to have it in a publicly accessible area if it was for home protection. In their own apartment would have been different. How did they expect to get it from the garage if they needed it?
    As already noted, if it takes you three minutes to load a shotgun, you do need training.

As far as accessability and needing it. There is a reason every law enforcement agency I am aware of mandates that the shotgun be carried with an empty chamber until it's time to use it.

Shotguns are not drop safe.

Load the chamber of your shotgun and put it in the cruiser-rack. When you go over a bump hard enough you will have a new sun-roof in your cruiser. I guarantee that this addition to the vehicle will not be looked upon fondly by those that do your annual evaluation.

Now being that you are in your home, and the gun is not in a cruiser-rack, are you willing to bet that your shotgun with a loaded chamber will not fire if knocked over? I'm not willing to make that bet.

Your handgun is designed to be used to fight your way to your longarm and to buy you time to manipulate your longarm. Use it for that.

As far as accessability in the home. An empty chamber with the safety on, in a pump or autoloading platform, does provide some degree of inaccessability to minors, but not as much as I would be comfortable with.

The more accessable, the more dangerous. That's sort of like open carry, but that's fodder for another discussion. As far as teaching kids, you may teach your's, but you will not teach every kid your child brings into the home. I can pretty much guarantee that unless your child is forbidden from bringing anyone home. Also, some of them that they do bring home you may not want being anywhere near a weapon.

Take a Basic class, it will be beneficial to you and those around you. There is nothing wrong with not knowing the answer, as I believe the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. I too need to brush up on and learn some things.

If however you recognize that you don't know something and then do nothing about it, that only makes one a fool in my opinion. Take care and stay safe,

Biker

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

SBS.......

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    How do they know the shottie isn't NFA compliant (SBS) if they don't know/can't find the owner? Irresponsible storage? Yes. Immediate felon? No.
    Civilians cannot own class III weapons in the Peoples Republik of California.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Yes this is a sad event, but my question is what were they doing in that garage in the first place? They had no business in there if the garage didn't belong to a parent, friend or other person they were acquainted with. It seems as if they were trespassing and got hurt by being someplace they should not have been. My sympathy for this only goes so far, when they might be at fault for the whole event.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Whoops! Had no idea. I forgot there are (strange) states that believe only PARTS of The U.S. Constitution...are applicable to their citizens.
    Last edited by ghost tracker; August 12th, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    You are dead wrong.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar

OK........

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    You are dead wrong.
    Did some research and apparently only suppressors are illegal in PRC. Other items are technically legal, but law enforcement will not sign the ATF form 4 which is required before ATF will approve the transfer. There for, they might as well be illegal.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links