Anyone want a $50 Gift Card?

This is a discussion on Anyone want a $50 Gift Card? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anyone planning on taking them up on this? Police offer gift cards for guns - Florida AP - MiamiHerald.com...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want a $50 Gift Card?

Anyone planning on taking them up on this?

Police offer gift cards for guns - Florida AP - MiamiHerald.com

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Authorities in Daytona Beach are offering residents a chance to swap their firearms for $50 Walmart gift cards this week.

Daytona Beach Police Chief Mike Chitwood says no questions will be asked at the gun exchange, which is scheduled to be held Friday at a local community center.

Chitwood said the firearms that are collected during the anonymous buyback program will be destroyed. He says the goal of the event is to "get guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them."
    If the guns come from those who shouldn't have them, where did they get them? Maybe they stole them? Maybe for $50 and no questions, they can steal some more.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I would use mine to buy some ammo, but

1. if I traded in my gun for a gift card, I wouldn't need the ammo
    2. WW doesn't have any ammo anyways.

Naaaa. I am going to the range instead.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Dang - they're a little far from home. Got a couple of wall-hanger .32s I wouldn't mind changing into cash.

I'm waiting for a program around here like that, I have an old Jennings J22 I've had for twenty years I'd gladly turn into them for a hundred smackers.
    I paid around sixty bucks for it and I would feel bad selling the POS to anyone.
    Second though I'd settle for fifty.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Dang. I'm on the wrong end of Florida. I'd like to hang out near the Community Center and see what kind of good buys I might find. I'm sure there'd be a few weapons I wouldn't mind paying $75. or $100. for.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I hope the LEOs in that area are ready for a spike in burglaries involving stolen firearms. That's exactly what happens in programs such as these.

I love the "we won't ask any questions" bit. That's such a lie it's not funny. They are required to document when, who, and what related to the firearm brought in.

Gee, $50 of junk for a firearm? Aren't they generous.

Never in a trillion years......

Would be funny to see somebody walk up carrying a couple half broken junk guns and cashing them in while OCing one or two guns

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post

I love the "we won't ask any questions" bit. That's such a lie it's not funny. They are required to document when, who, and what related to the firearm brought in.
    No they're not.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This sounds like the PD's version of Cash for Clunkers...LOL
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    Dang. I'm on the wrong end of Florida. I'd like to hang out near the Community Center and see what kind of good buys I might find. I'm sure there'd be a few weapons I wouldn't mind paying $75. or $100. for.

Thats an awesome idea!!!! I'd love to build up my collection at a discounted cost!!! You sir are a geneous!!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No they're not.
    Not trying to be mean, but are you aware of how these programs work? I wrote a paper for one of my CRIM classes on these programs which required me to contact agencies to see just what is required when the transaction occurs.

LEO's sworn to an oath to uphold the law, cannot turn a blind eye when a crime is witnessed by them. So, when a known felon...child...or stolen gun walks through the door, it definately gets reported and the questions get asked.

They simply don't just hand you a gift card and say "thanks, have a nice day". When the PD receives/takes possession of the firearms they have to document where it came from, what it is, the SN, and just who brought it in. If they don't and it winds up being evidence in a crime linked to that specific individual it is deemed inadmissable in a court of law.

It also generates a never-ending cycle (until the money runs out). Steal gun or buy an illegal one, take it in and collect the money. Go back to the street and repeat the process, return to the PD and repeat the process. Continue this cycle for the duration of the program time frame and a felon could get rich rather quickly....this is especially true if they "don't ask questions".

I posed this specific cycle to several agencies throughout the nation and was informed that the "no questions" thing is true, but to a point. They don't ask until they have cause to. You're required to fill out a form stating your name, address, contact phone, etc. and the LE agnecy fills in the firearm info and retains the form. The suspect completely ignores that he/she just provided the LE agency with all they need to start an investigation as well as a primary suspect.

What started my research was BHO and the program he had in Chicago run on tax dollars. I illustrated that 1 individual could become a millionaire in just 1 year if he/she continually cycled through the program. And that was based on the purchase of a single $100 firearm exchanged for 2-3 times its value within the program.

Use a Nagant revolver at $89 as an example and factor it exponentially by cycling the money back into the same firearm each time on a $300 exchange per firearm and you'll be rich rather quickly. I also illustrated that one wouldn't even need to purchase them illegally to exploit this weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    Anyone planning on taking them up on this?

Police offer gift cards for guns - Florida AP - MiamiHerald.com
    Dallas is having one and my Wife and I seriously considered...

Offering $50 cash a few hundred yards form the front of the lines.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I will be there. I have a bunch cut frames and half destroyed guns from the gunshop going, and I'll be bringing cash and the Blue Book, too. I bet the pay for the frames of the stuff we have to cut up.

They've done this before and I try to bankrupt them every time. One time I saw a Colt Officers Model Match revolver go in to be cut up or dumped into a reef and I have never forgiven them. One year they offered $50 for "regular" guns and $200 for an "assault weapon". Back then SKSs were like $70 each. We bought crates of them and a few boxes of Raven .25s at $29 bucks each. I stripped them all for parts, the Ravens were held together with tape, and turned them all in for profit. One of the regulars was out front with the Blue Book when he met the guy with the Colt. The guy refused all logic and all offers and turned it in. One guy brought in a fired AT-4 launcher a few years ago. As you all know, after it's fired it's just a fiberglass tube but you should have heard the talk about it! I guess the guy didn't know he could have sold it online for a lot more than a pair of shoes is worth.

I hate buybacks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links