5 hurt in 4 overnight shootings in St. Louis - Page 2

5 hurt in 4 overnight shootings in St. Louis

This is a discussion on 5 hurt in 4 overnight shootings in St. Louis within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I drove thru St Louis 3 times in my life and never stopped once for nothing,no gas no food,no p-ing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I drove thru St Louis 3 times in my life and never stopped once for nothing,no gas no food,no p-ing
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Some places have lots in common. There's places in Detroit where if you have a flat tire you keep going, you don't stop.
    Last edited by Pinger; August 23rd, 2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling
    The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the situation. The second rule is Train and Prepare.

In defense of St. Louis... I go there several times a year. Both on business and for recreation. There really are a lot of nice places to go and see in St. Louis.

It is the Gateway to the West and they had the World's Fair there in 1904, which some believe was the best World's Fair, because it was the first World's Fair which had electricity. The new modern wonder!

St. Louis like any other major metropolitan urban city does have crime. Which is why, if I am not mistaken, why we all chose to obtain ccw permits.

Like anywhere, one must exercise a fair amount of common sense when out and about in any large city. There are those who say they would never go to Florida because of the crime and I don't believe that is a fair representation of the entire State of Florida.

In my opinion the only place totally off limits in St. Louis is East St. Louis, which is actually in the State of Illinois, where guns and ccw are verboten!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    According to city-data.com East Saint Louis has a crime index of 2462.4 while the national average crime index is 320.9!
    Take note, East St. Louis is NOT in Missouri, it is in Illinois. So when you here the numbers the two cities are not combined, as they are not the same entities. Further, I would take my chances in East. St. Louis before North St. Louis city!

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    A couple days ago there were 4 more shootings overnight with 2 killed. Down from 5 a night, so I guess that's progress.

East St. Louis--yep, that's a place to avoid, even in the daytime. I went through there on business a few years ago with a guy who was raised there. It was about 10 a.m. We get to one intersection and he says, "Don't even look down the street to your right as we pass."

He was serious. Me looking could have been all some punk needed to be provoked.

I'll drive around E. St. Louis (assuming I ever enter Illinois again) regardless of how many extra miles it takes.
    But Grady...Mayor slay says St. Louis city is safe. Don't listen to those false reports, that say it is a dangerous city. In fact, the police are going to be turning in their guns, and will be stoping "crime" with sunshine and puppy dogs!

Sunshine and Puppy Dogs? Man, those are two of my favorite things! Woo Hoo!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by barracudamagoo View Post
    Take note, East St. Louis is NOT in Missouri, it is in Illinois. So when you here the numbers the two cities are not combined, as they are not the same entities. Further, I would take my chances in East. St. Louis before North St. Louis city!
    I know, and because it's in Illinois I have to be unarmed when I go through there. That's a bad combination!

Anytime I go through places like that I just hope I don't have a flat tire or anything that forces me to stop!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

When I'm traversing the States, I usually stop and gas up, maybe get a bite to eat in St. Louis, Mo. Lock my gun in trunk and then scoot across Illinois as quickly as possible on I-70. Then when I get to Terre Haute, Indiana, I'll stop to get fuel again, rearm and be on my way breathing a sigh of relief!

When going to Michigan, I stay on I-70 and go across that way because it gets me out of Illinois a lot quicker then going north towards Chicago and then over.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    I know, and because it's in Illinois I have to be unarmed when I go through there. That's a bad combination!

Anytime I go through places like that I just hope I don't have a flat tire or anything that forces me to stop!
    I drive as fast as I can through IL (spit, spit) and the wife knows there are NO potty stops. I won't spend any money in that state or stop there for anything, even a flat tire. I'll be like those police chase vidoes, driving down the the road with spraks flying from my wheel before I stop in that state.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    East St. Louis--yep, that's a place to avoid, even in the daytime. I went through there on business a few years ago with a guy who was raised there. It was about 10 a.m. We get to one intersection and he says, "Don't even look down the street to your right as we pass."

He was serious. Me looking could have been all some punk needed to be provoked.

I'll drive around E. St. Louis (assuming I ever enter Illinois again) regardless of how many extra miles it takes.
    Many years ago I was driving through and was running out of gas. At the time there wasn't a single gas station sign on the interstate in St. Louis. When I reached East St. Louis I simply had to refuel.

So, I took the exit and still could not find a gas station. I stopped where some people had gathered and asked them where I could get gas. They looked at me as if I was from another planet and in reality, I thought the same thing. They were friendly and directed me to a location close by. Some locals helped me out and I was soon on my way.

That was then, this is now. I still refuse to villify an entire community because a small subset are incorrigible criminals. Even in those 'bad' places, most people are good, law abiding citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    When I'm traversing the States, I usually stop and gas up, maybe get a bite to eat in St. Louis, Mo. Lock my gun in trunk and then scoot across Illinois as quickly as possible on I-70. Then when I get to Terre Haute, Indiana, I'll stop to get fuel again, rearm and be on my way breathing a sigh of relief!
    You beat me to the post. Same here, I've always wondered if I was pulled over for speeding, and told the trooper I was going as fast as I could to get outta that state, if he would let me slide? Probably not!

This is my first post to this forum. When I ran into this thread, I just had to comment. I grew up in St. Louis and was a teamster, so I drove all of St. Louis, E. St. Louis and the surrounding areas. A couple of my fondest recollections about E. St. Louis. In the late '80's the entire E. St. Louis police force quit, the Illinois State Police had to come in a take over the city. The most notible murder I remember was one brother killed the other brother for using all the toilet paper....no joke.

So I relocated to Houston and the only difference between E. St. Louis and the 5th Ward here, is the BG's are much better shots in Texas than the BG's in St.Louis........nobody survives a gunfight in the 5th Ward.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links