Bad Letter to Editor Roanoke Times, Va

This is a discussion on Bad Letter to Editor Roanoke Times, Va within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/215396 Would more guns solve the gun problem? The online gun merchant who sold weapons to Virginia Tech's mass killer and to an Illinois campus ...

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Bad Letter to Editor Roanoke Times, Va

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array DaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    5,036

    Bad Letter to Editor Roanoke Times, Va

    http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/215396

    Would more guns solve the gun problem?

    The online gun merchant who sold weapons to Virginia Tech's mass killer and to an Illinois campus murderer also sold gun accessories to George Sodini, who killed three people and wounded nine at a Pittsburgh-area health club.

    The merchant, Eric Thompson of Green Bay, Wis., shows no compunction; people like Sodini, he says, could get weapons lots of other places, such as stores like Kmart. In short, everybody does it, and because everybody does it, there's no need for anybody to stop doing it.

    Thompson also said in a newspaper interview that Sodini's attack shows police are too slow to respond to emergencies and underscores the need for people to protect themselves.

    OK, gym rats, time to strap on a piece during your workout in case another madman enters; Thompson will sell you a weapon. Mightn't hurt to pack some heat, too, at the shopping mall, in a restaurant, on your evening stroll or even in church. Got to protect yourselves.

    Against whom? Why, against all those other folks who bear arms. To gun people, if there's any problem with guns, the answer always is more guns. Think. Does this lead us anywhere good?

    BOB WILLIS
    FINCASTLE
    Μολὼν λαβέ

    I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

    I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

    Veni, Vidi, Velcro

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    44,530
    Oh Bobby, Bobby, Bobby, there you go again, talking about something that you have no clue about. More guns has proven to create less crime, but then I'm confusing you with the 'facts' aren't I?
    I'll say no more as my words would only fall on deaf ears.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,055

    Lightbulb

    Would more guns solve the gun problem?
    There is no "gun" problem. There is a problem of disrespect, dishonor and disloyalty to what is right and good. In short, there is a crime problem, and some criminals choose a firearm as the tool of choice. There are still knives, baseball bats, tire irons and a host of other implements. Just ask criminals in the U.K. whether the criminalization of upstanding citizens' ability to bear arms is bearing anything but improved ability to take out upstanding citizens.

    The online gun merchant who sold weapons to Virginia Tech's mass killer and to an Illinois campus murderer also sold gun accessories to George Sodini.
    And he would have known this how, exactly, at the time?

    The merchant, Eric Thompson of Green Bay, Wis., shows no compunction.
    What "compunction" should he have shown, not knowing one buyer from another? Does his crystal ball work, or is it like all others issued to the rest of us, which were apparently all issued DOA?

    In short, everybody does it, and because everybody does it, there's no need for anybody to stop doing it.
    Nope. The logic is: since there are tens of thousands of places to buy an accessory, including the corner sporting goods shop, shutting down a "gun" store won't reduce the availability one bit.

    ... police are too slow to respond to emergencies and underscores the need for people to protect themselves.
    It's reality and it's a fact: an LEO who is two miles away at the time of a crime finding you CANNOT actually simultaneously be there, on the instant of that crime going down. You have two choices, and two choices only. You can either survive until the cavalry arrives, or you can fail to survive until the cavalry arrives. Pick one.

    ... gym ... shopping mall ... restaurant ... evening stroll ... church ... Got to protect yourselves.
    Insightful comment. Why? I suspect for a different reason than the person is able to understand. The reason is that the ACME Felons' Union #234 doesn't issue calendars of their planned crimes. Never has, never will. The reality is, crime will strike when it does. All you can do is to survive it ... or not.

    [Need protection] Against whom? Why, against all those other folks who bear arms. To gun people, if there's any problem with guns, the answer always is more guns.
    How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims? Seems to me that making something illegal simply would disarm law-abiding people, leaving ALL remaining weapon-toting criminals with a selection of known-to-be-unarmed victims to choose from. Gee, that doesn't sound like the goal of the exercise, to make it easier for criminals to ply their trades. And yet, that's exactly the primary effect of any victim disarmament law that goes into effect.

    Those criminals are going to be armed no matter what you say, no matter what any naive, power-hungry politician 1000 miles away says, and irrespective of whether a silly sign is posted.

    Let's do a little mental experiment.

    In a group of 100 people, let's say there are three criminals who are armed. You are in that crowd, and you're unarmed. The criminal knows it for a fact (because of those lovely signs and the admonition that you'll be a criminal if you dare to arm yourself against crime). Think, for a moment, about the likelihood of your surviving a violent attack by one of those criminals. It is what it is: complete and utter chance.

    The lunacy of naive gun-control thinking, though, is that the ONLY real change to the equation that results in stronger odds of withstanding crime is to become MORE prepared to defend, MORE capable of mounting an effective response. The simplest way of achieving that is to become armed, trained.

    By comparison, take any group of 100 people, in which there are 97 armed/trained citizens and three criminals. In that scenario, what is the likelihood of upstanding citizens surviving being criminalized? Bueller ... Bueller ... Bueller ... Bueller ...?

    In short:
    • When tossed into an enclosed space with a tiger, are you more or less likely to survive if unarmed?
    • When tossed into an enclosed space with a lion, are you more or less likely to survive if unarmed?
    • When tossed into an enclosed space with an armed violent criminal, are you more or less likely to survive if unarmed?
    It's that simple. Really.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 16th, 2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Array Mardet65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio vicinity
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There is no "gun" problem. There is a problem of disrespect, dishonor and disloyalty to what is right and good. In short, there is a crime problem, and some criminals choose a firearm as the tool of choice. There are still knives, baseball bats, tire irons and a host of other implements. Just ask criminals in the U.K. whether the criminalization of upstanding citizens' ability to bear arms is bearing anything but improved ability to take out upstanding citizens.


    And he would have known this how, exactly, at the time?


    What "compunction" should he have shown, not knowing one buyer from another? Does his crystal ball work, or is it like all others issued to the rest of us, which were apparently all issued DOA?


    Nope. The logic is: since there are tens of thousands of places to buy an accessory, including the corner sporting goods shop, shutting down a "gun" store won't reduce the availability one bit.


    It's reality and it's a fact: an LEO who is two miles away at the time of a crime finding you CANNOT actually simultaneously be there, on the instant of that crime going down. You have two choices, and two choices only. You can either survive until the cavalry arrives, or you can fail to survive until the cavalry arrives. Pick one.


    Insightful comment. Why? I suspect for a different reason than the person is able to understand. The reason is that the ACME Felons' Union #234 doesn't issue calendars of their planned crimes. Never has, never will. The reality is, crime will strike when it does. All you can do is to survive it ... or not.


    How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims? Seems to me that making something illegal simply would disarm law-abiding people, leaving ALL remaining weapon-toting criminals with a selection of known-to-be-unarmed victims to choose from. Gee, that doesn't sound like the goal of the exercise, to make it easier for criminals to ply their trades. And yet, that's exactly the primary effect of any victim disarmament law that goes into effect.

    Those criminals are going to be armed no matter what you say, no matter what any naive, power-hungry politician 1000 miles away says, and irrespective of whether a silly sign is posted.

    Let's do a little mental experiment.

    In a group of 100 people, let's say there are three criminals who are armed. You are in that crowd, and you're unarmed. The criminal knows it for a fact (because of those lovely signs and the admonition that you'll be a criminal if you dare to arm yourself against crime). Think, for a moment, about the likelihood of your surviving a violent attack by one of those criminals. It is what it is: complete and utter chance.

    The lunacy of naive gun-control thinking, though, is that the ONLY real change to the equation that results in stronger odds of withstanding crime is to become MORE prepared to defend, MORE capable of mounting an effective response. The simplest way of achieving that is to be come armed, trained.

    By comparison, take any group of 100 people, in which there are 97 armed/trained citizens and three criminals. In that scenario, what is the likelihood of upstanding citizens surviving being criminalized? Bueller ... Bueller ... Bueller ... Bueller ...?

    In short:
    • When tossed into an enclosed space with a tiger, are you more or less likely to survive if unarmed?
    • When tossed into an enclosed space with a lion, are you more or less likely to survive if unarmed?
    • When tossed into an enclosed space with an armed violent criminal, are you more or less likely to survive if unarmed?
    It's that simple. Really.
    Very nicely put.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

  6. #5
    VIP Member
    Array Saber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    2,592
    I donít know who this Bob Willis is although its apparent heís not well read on facts or perhaps heís simply young and inexperienced.
    Regards,
    ďMonsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.Ē
    ~ Stephen King

  7. #6
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I donít know who this Bob Willis is although its apparent heís not well read on facts or perhaps heís simply young and inexperienced.
    Regards,
    I believe that "Bob Willis of Fincastle" is a retired editor of The Roanoke Times: click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  8. #7
    Member Array llongshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Deep Southern Illinois
    Posts
    276
    There's a percentage of unstable people in the Human Race as a whole. To a greater or lesser degree (but still to a close approximate percentile) they permeate all levels of life. This means the Astronauts, the Police, the Congress, the Doctors and Nurses, and yes folks, this website.

  9. #8
    VIP Member
    Array DaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by llongshot View Post
    There's a percentage of unstable people in the Human Race as a whole. To a greater or lesser degree (but still to a close approximate percentile) they permeate all levels of life. This means the Astronauts, the Police, the Congress, the Doctors and Nurses, and yes folks, this website.
    Source for the "but still to a close approximate percentile" statement, please. I have no problem with a vauge "to a greater or lesser degree" but with in a "percentile"?

    A percentile of what base?

    How close is "close"?

    A percentile is any of the 99 numbered points that divide an ordered set of scores into 100 parts each of which contains one-hundredth of the total.

    As some groups of society have an incarceration rate at 1 in 355 and others have an incarceration rate of 1 in 9 (See: http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org/...20in%20100.pdf) I find it hard to understand "close approximate percentile."

    BTW: I'm not supporting the point of view of the Pew Charitable Trust. Just using their stats.

    BTW2: Studies of CHP revocations have shown that CHP holders have far below the crime rate of many other groups -- not even approaching the 1 in 355 rate, e.g., in Florida it is 1.4 licenses revoked per 1000 licensees. (See: Some predictors of CCW permit prevalence & revocation rates in Florida (GunsAndCrime.org))

    IMHO 1.4 in 1000 licensees (if my math is right that is 1 in 714) Vs. 1 in 355 rate (much less 1 in 9) is not close.

    Even if it were close, CHP can be revoked for far less that what it takes to serve time, meaning the disparity is even greater.
    Last edited by DaveH; August 16th, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

    I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

    I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

    Veni, Vidi, Velcro

  10. #9
    Member Array boerep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by llongshot View Post
    There's a percentage of unstable people in the Human Race as a whole. To a greater or lesser degree (but still to a close approximate percentile) they permeate all levels of life. This means the Astronauts, the Police, the Congress, the Doctors and Nurses, and yes folks, this website.
    You have found me already?

    Regards
    Rick
    "Fail Your Way To Success"
    "A Goal without a Plan, is Just a Dream"
    "Age and treachery will win over Youth and Enthusiasm"

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array tbrenke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,006
    I donít know who this Bob Willis is although its apparent heís not well read on facts or perhaps heís simply young and inexperienced.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I believe that "Bob Willis of Fincastle" is a retired editor of The Roanoke Times: click.
    well that only leaves "not well read on facts".
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

  12. #11
    Member Array KralBlbec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    416
    * When tossed into an enclosed space with a tiger, are you more or less likely to survive if unarmed?
    * When tossed into an enclosed space with a lion, are you more or less likely to survive if unarmed?
    * When tossed into an enclosed space with an armed violent criminal, are you more or less likely to survive if unarmed?
    I like that :D

  13. #12
    VIP Member
    Array DaveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    well that only leaves "not well read on facts".
    Hum?

    OYOH, I'd opt for a cult member (the anti-gun cult) repeating his manta louder and louder to try to drown out the facts/ignore them.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

    I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

    I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

    Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Good Letter-to-Editor -- Roanoke Times, Roanoke Va
    By DaveH in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 26th, 2010, 06:18 PM
  2. Letter-to-Editor -- Roanoke Times, Roanoke Va
    By DaveH in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: February 25th, 2010, 10:23 AM
  3. Two Pro Letters to The Editor -- Roanoke Times Roanoke VA,
    By DaveH in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 27th, 2009, 08:44 PM
  4. Roanoke Times: Letter To the Editor
    By DaveH in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM
  5. Roanoke Times -- Letter to the Editor
    By DaveH in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 25th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Search tags for this page

bad letters to the editor
,
best letters to the editor roanoke times
,
bob willis in roanoke,va
,
bob willis of the roanoke times
,

bob willis roanoke times

,
bob willis roanoke va times
,
bob willis, roanoke
,
bob willis, roanoke times
,
robertwillisinroanokevirginia
Click on a term to search for related topics.