Milwaukee mayor injured trying to assist victim

This is a discussion on Milwaukee mayor injured trying to assist victim within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bad things can happen anytime, anywhere and to anyone. Milwaukee mayor wounded after being hit with pipe August 16, 2009 4:02 PM EDT MILWAUKEE - ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee mayor injured trying to assist victim

VIP Member

Milwaukee mayor injured trying to assist victim

Bad things can happen anytime, anywhere and to anyone.

Milwaukee mayor wounded after being hit with pipe
    August 16, 2009 4:02 PM EDT
    MILWAUKEE - Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett was hospitalized with head and hand injuries on Sunday after he tried to assist a woman crying for help and was attacked by a man with a metal pipe near the Wisconsin State Fair, police said.

Barrett was in stable condition at a local hospital and was alert and talking when he arrived there on Saturday night, Milwaukee police said.

The mayor had gone to the Wisconsin State Fair on Saturday with his children and niece. As Barrett walked to his car, he heard a woman screaming for someone to call the police emergency dispatcher, police said.

"The mayor stopped and said something like, 'Let's all cool down here, I'm going to call 911,'" the mayor's spokesman Patrick Curley said. "He said it one or two times according to him. When he took out his phone, that's when the suspect attacked him."

The suspect hit him in the head and torso with a metal pipe. Barrett apparently fought back, fracturing his hand when he punched the suspect.

"I think he hit the guy," Curley said. "I don't know where, but it was hard enough, whatever he hit, to fracture his hand."

The suspect then fled the scene. Authorities said they were seeking a person who has a criminal arrest record, police said. The woman was uninjured.

The mayor, who did not ask for security to accompany him to the fair because he wasn't on official duty, underwent successful surgery Sunday on his fractured right hand and also had cuts on his head and lip stitched up, Curley said.
    Full story here: EarthLink - U.S. News
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

I think the mayor needs to carry a gun if he is going to venture out in to society without his security apparatus.

He can thank Gov. Doyle for him not having a right to carry if he wanted to.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    He can thank Gov. Doyle for him not having a right to carry if he wanted to.
    Judging on the comments from the Democratic Underground and below, I thing the Mayor is just fine with what Governor Doyle did:

NRA-ILA :: Wisconsin: Milwaukee Mayor Calls for the Repeal of Statewide Preemption

I am glad it sounds as though the mayor will recover.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

(Near the Second Amendment But Unfortunately Not Affected By It)

Time For The Mayor to Grow Up a Bit

Maybe this unfortunate event will turn the mayor into a CCW supporter....

Click this...

Shooting of Officers Ignites Debate Over Open Carry | Today's TMJ4 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin News, Weather, Sports, WTMJ | Local News

We all know the famous saying, a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged.
    Last edited by V65magnafan; August 16th, 2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Link modified
    NRA 2AF IDPA
    Tactical Pistol Instructor

I thought there was already a law against shooting cops?

I'll bet no one told the dirtbags about that law, darn...Milwaukee need to spruce up its communication techniques so the criminals are better informed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

[sarcasm] I'm sure the shooter(s) was a law-abiding citizen with a clean record until this incident ...

and ... I was under the impression that there were NO guns in WI, they certainly are not allowed there ... how could this have happened??

Oh ... I forgot, it's only the good guys that don't have guns in WI. [/sarcasm]

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I was under the impression that there were NO guns in WI
    That's a broad statement. Hunting is very popular in WI. They have a huge population of whitetailed deer and the hunting support to go with it. Wisconsin's problem is that they dont allow concealed carry.

I bet the Mayor will be an advocate for CC now. Hope he recovers fully.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

And... if the guy had a gun instead of a pipe ??

The guy didn't pay attention to the authority of the Mayor, you are kidding.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    May I suggest a polite email to His Honor the Mayor:

mayor@milwaukee.gov

Mr. Mayor,

Please accept my condolences for your injuries, as well as congratulations for trying to help someone in need.

As a Paramedic, I can say that being hit in the head with a metal pipe is a serious assault that could easily end in death, and you are indeed lucky to have survived.

Perhaps this unfortunate incident will give you pause to at least consider the appropriateness of good citizens being allowed to discretely carry firearms for lawful self defense.

I wish you a quick recovery.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Great letter...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    May I suggest a polite email to His Honor the Mayor:

mayor@milwaukee.gov

Mr. Mayor,

Please accept my condolences for your injuries, as well as congratulations for trying to help someone in need.

As a Paramedic, I can say that being hit in the head with a metal pipe is a serious assault that could easily end in death, and you are indeed lucky to have survived.

Perhaps this unfortunate incident will give you pause to at least consider the appropriateness of good citizens being allowed to discretely carry firearms for lawful self defense.

I wish you a quick recovery.
    How about a copy of a CPL application with his information filled in and a big yellow box on the signature line saying "Please sign here".

Pity illinois doesnt actually have a CPL application.

+1 Paramedic70002! Good letter!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Another great reason for Wisconsin to support concealed carry

Glad he was ok.
    One thing for sure though
    he put himself on the line for
    what was right. Hat goes off
    to him for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links