Convenience store owner shoots robber

This is a discussion on Convenience store owner shoots robber within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; March 3, 2006 - Reading, PA - The 58-year-old owner of Gregory's Market shot and killed a man who robbed him at knifepoint shortly after ...

Thread: Convenience store owner shoots robber

March 3, 2006 - Reading, PA -

The 58-year-old owner of Gregory's Market shot and killed a man who robbed him at knifepoint shortly after noon. The 27-year-old robber, shot once in the right side, collapsed outside the store with the stolen cash in his pockets, and died shortly afterwards at the hospital.

I haven't been able to find out if charges are being filed against the store owner, but from the sounds of the original article, it's doubtful.

BTW - the headline in the local paper was not "Robber killed by store owner" - it was "Man killed in robbery" - made it seem as if it was another innocent victim who was shot. Doncha just love it?

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    First off, LibertyGal

Welcome to the forum,

That sounds about normal for the %#$%^ papers and how they report anything that has to do with guns.

Hey Chris, is this anywhere near you , You heard anything?
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Administrator

Thumbs up Thanks LibertyGal

A very worthwhile citizen success story.

"collapsed outside the store with the stolen cash in his pockets"

I guess that pocket full of cash is not going to do him a whole lot of good right now.

Suckers born everyday, try to get rich quick.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    Well, no matter what the headline read, the outcome was correct!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

hmm maybe, it was at knife point though, could have just scared him away with a huge shot gun with out shooting and make the guy pay for his crime in prison with a new best friend BUBBA, whom im more than confident would love him to death!

VIP Member
    Update

Police: Glenville man shot in robbery
    The Evening Sun

Jason Mallow, 27, died after being shot by the owner of a Berks County business who said Mallow was trying to rob him at knifepoint. (Submitted photo)

By SHARI SANGER

Evening Sun Reporter

A Glenville man was shot and killed by the owner of a Berks County business he allegedly tried to rob at knifepoint Friday, police said.

Jason Mallow, 27, died after a bullet passed through his back and exited his chest, Berks County Coroner Dennis J. Hess said. His death has been ruled a homicide.

A police officer was flagged down about 12:20 p.m. Friday at 12th and Green streets in Reading, and was told a store robbery had just occurred and that the alleged robber had been shot, Reading Police Sgt. Eric Hartman said.

Police allege Mallow entered Gregory's Market, displayed a knife as he approached the counter and demanded money from the store register. The drawer was opened and Mallow allegedly removed cash.

At that time, police said, the store owner - Gregorio Zarzuela, 58 - produced a gun and shot Mallow, who died outside the store.

Hartman said the daytime shooting and robbery occurred in the northeast section of Reading, a mostly residential area.

Police are still investigating.

Though Mallow's death has been ruled a homicide, the district attorney will determine whether the store owner will be charged in his death, Hartman said.

Mallow is the son of Thomas I. Mallow of Glenville and Darlene J. (Collins) Mallow of New Freedom. His sister, Melissa Mallow, also lives in Glenville.

Attempts to reach the family were unsuccessful.

A funeral service is scheduled for 11 a.m. Thursday at Hartenstein Mortuary Inc., New Freedom, with a viewing one hour prior. Burial will be at 2:30 p.m. in Crumpton Cemetery in Crumpton, Md.

Hector Carillo, the head of the Hispanic Merchants Association, said Zarzuela told him Mallow took a couple of swings with the knife, according to the Allentown-based WFMZ-69 News. Zarzuela pulled his weapon and shot when his wife was out of the line of fire, based on Carillo's account.

The Reading Eagle initially reported that Zarzuela fired the shot outside the market, after he chased the robber out the front door. But subsequent TV news accounts say police didn't know if the shot was fired inside or outside the store.

Carillo said it doesn't matter whether Mallow was shot inside or outside the building.

"Even if the guy was shot out here," Carillo told WFMZ, "he attempted against his wife and him, with that knife, that automatically tells me I got to defend myself."

You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    bullet passed through his back and exited his chest
    I wonder how that will affect the outcome - because it suggests the perp was facing away. Not that it makes me any the more sympathetic toward the robber.

Knives are not fun toys - whatever anyone thinks.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Once again the anti's will tell us he could have sat down and talked it over, after all he was not a bad man just missunderstood, it was his father's fault for not telling him he loved him enough. Remove all accountability from the one's whom are wrong. But if Mr. Zarzuela had not pulled a gun he and his wife who are possibly just tryin to earn an honest living could be dead right now. Then what would they say, "they should have called 911 right away"
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

VIP Member
    Another bright one that brings a knife to a gunfight. And he started the gunfight!
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I could care less in the back out the front works for me as long as I and My family go home safe. Thats all that should ever matter when the Bad Guy rolls the dice and the Good Guy wins.
    Philip L. McCleary
    Security via CCW
    and a lot of practice
    Dispatchers have the best jobs
    we tell the police where to go and they have
    to do it. Policy manual says so.

de N4LNE

Sponsored Links