Interesting statement by Sheriff...

This is a discussion on Interesting statement by Sheriff... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...in this article about guns on campus. Money quote is below. Guns to be allowed on campus? : News : KRCG Sheriff White argued that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting statement by Sheriff...

Interesting statement by Sheriff...

...in this article about guns on campus. Money quote is below.

Guns to be allowed on campus? : News : KRCG

Sheriff White argued that armed civilians on campus have the potential to end the threat quickly. And he stunned the room with this assertion.

"In actual shootings, citizens do far better than law enforcement on hit potential,” said White. “They hit their targets and they don't hit other people. I wish I could say the same for cops. We train more, they do better."

2. Remove Ads

Yep, interesting quote.

Don't know if it is true or not that non leos hit more, but can't argue with the statement that if more folks had guns legally on campus the shootings would end sooner.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Wouldn't surprise me that stats would support the sentiment, if stats existed on that. People actually being attacked from the get-go know damned well who the attacker is. LEO's coming into a situation must presume ALL people involved are bad, from the standpoint of mere self-preservation. That's even ingrained into the SOP, given how most are arrested until it can be sorted out. Show a weapon in that situation, and you're put down. He's right when he indicates citizens aren't typically acting that way, based on different essential ROE.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me that stats would support the sentiment, if stats existed on that. People actually being attacked from the get-go know damned well who the attacker is. LEO's coming into a situation must presume ALL people involved are bad, from the standpoint of mere self-preservation. That's even ingrained into the SOP, given how most are arrested until it can be sorted out. Show a weapon in that situation, and you're put down. He's right when he indicates citizens aren't typically acting that way, based on different essential ROE.
    I think you're exactly right. The blogger who linked that article made the point that LEO shootings usually take place in very murky situations, while, as you pointed out, citizens are usually sure they're shooting the bad guy and it's usually pretty close range.

That is a rather striking comment...especially made publicly. Thing is, we might not be sure of the statistics. But what we do know is that despite some bad apples and incidents nationwide...we might sleep a bit better tonight in knowing we can trust our law enforcement officials for the most part, and it seems like they support the cause more and more as time goes on and the media keeps portraying disappointing response times and legal issues involving LEO related shootings. We shouldn't think about ourselves as vigilantes in the system, just taking things into our own hands and helping out any way we can to thwart crimes against innocents, ourselves, and becoming less dependent on the already overtaxed law enforcement community as a whole.
    Just a side note.........sheriff is a keyword to me in this instance...try and find a response like this from a city police chief (IMO)
    Unless it's time for re-election for the sheriff and other things at play here.....I'd support him fully just for being a stand-up guy and having the guts to say what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    We shouldn't think about ourselves as vigilantes in the system, just taking things into our own hands and helping out any way we can to thwart crimes against innocents, ourselves, and becoming less dependent on the already overtaxed law enforcement community as a whole.
    Yup. We ARE taking control when law enforcement cannot be there, and it's darned good that we do. That's the whole point of the exercise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It's hard to decide who gets more hits (based on what?), and also hard to decide who trains more. I know lot of individuals who shoot regularly, and I know cops who only shoot once or twice a year.
    There is no way to collect this kind of data.

I do, however, like the realistic approach and thinking of this sheriff. It's about time someone added some 'real world' statements to the debate.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Yep, interesting quote.

Don't know if it is true or not that non leos hit more, but can't argue with the statement that if more folks had guns legally on campus the shootings would end sooner.

Not sure where I've heard this, but I have heard this is generally true.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

all statistics aside, I'd like to shake that sheriff's hand

I don't doubt that sheriff's assertion at all.

I know a lot of private citizens, including my self, whose training & practice exceeds the requirements of our local LE.

BTW, in that picture from the article, the officers are too close to the corners; they should be off the corners by at least an arms length.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I like his thinking one way or the other. Legally armed citizens obviously can make a difference.

Sheriff White speaks the truth.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    We train more, they do better."
    Really now?! It seems that more members on this forum train far more than most police officers do.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I know my brother can soot better than me at ready but draw & fire I'm a second faster from concealment ; )
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Sheriff White's comment does not stretch the imagination.

Civilians who expend the time and money to arm themselves and to legally carry concealed are motivated by the desire to be prepared to defend themselves and their loved ones. Without disparaging the law enforcement community, the LEOs' skill at arms is a job requirement, and it's not the ordinary officer who is motivated to achieve shooting skills above the minimum required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links