ABC news, CCW in Bars

ABC news, CCW in Bars

This is a discussion on ABC news, CCW in Bars within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tonight Charles Gibson is going to have a article railing against CCW in place that sell alcohol. Sounds like more anti-gun rhetoric from ABC news...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABC news, CCW in Bars

ABC news, CCW in Bars

Tonight Charles Gibson is going to have a article railing against CCW in place that sell alcohol.

Sounds like more anti-gun rhetoric from ABC news
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    While I dont necessarily agree that bars should allow carry, Utah does allow it and I sometimes carry in a bar. The caveat is that I dont drink while carrying. I stay sober and become "designated shooter". If I'm gonna have more than a couple of beers, my guns stay home.

Wish I could watch this program tonight but have a company party to attend.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I am fine with laws against carry while drinking. I think you should be able to patronize restaurants that happen to have bars in them while carrying as longs as you don't drink. It's illegal to drive drunk but not to drive to a bar (sober) as a good comparison. Since most states have laws against drinking and handling firearms this shouldn't be an issue anyway. The stupid part about Ohio is its a misdemeanor to handle firearms while under the influence but a felony to carry into a bar and not drink.

Note they conveniently didn't mention that the law in Tennessee states that you are not allowed to consume alcohol while carrying in the bar. I bet more than one of the proponents they talked to mentioned that part of the law and it was edited out. The argument the restaurant owners would have to enforce their signs is ridiculous. When it was illegal to carry into their establishment when they didn't hang a sign were they checking people for weapons? The only difference is they have to hang a sign now.

My New York permit says I can carry anywhere in the state that is legal. That includes Restaurants and bars that serve alcohol.

The law also says that if you do carry a firearm you may not consume alcohol.

This all comes down to personal responsibility. Why should you disarm when your eating dinner??

ask Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp what she thinks of dinning with a firearm
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by natticarry View Post
    Note they conveniently didn't mention that the law in Tennessee states that you are not allowed to consume alcohol while carrying in the bar. I bet more than one of the proponents they talked to mentioned that part of the law and it was edited out. The argument the restaurant owners would have to enforce their signs is ridiculous. When it was illegal to carry into their establishment when they didn't hang a sign were they checking people for weapons? The only difference is they have to hang a sign now.
    Well that does tell you who doesn't want your money, doesn't it.
    Here in Michigan we can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, but not in bars. A bar is defined as a retail establishment whose "primary income" is the source of alcohol sold by the glass, but the legal BAC is .02. So you can go into a restaurant when your carrying and not drinking, I guess they figure if you are sober you will be able to tell what the primary income is from???
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Well that does tell you who doesn't want your money, doesn't it.
    Here in Michigan we can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol, but not in bars. A bar is defined as a retail establishment whose "primary income" is the source of alcohol sold by the glass, but the legal BAC is .02. So you can go into a restaurant when your carrying and not drinking, I guess they figure if you are sober you will be able to tell what the primary income is from???
    .02 ????? don't be drinking any cough syrup Good thing my GPA was higher than my BAC
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    It was a very silly piece of reporting, they acknowledged that only 8 of the 48 CCW state prohibit carry into bars. Yet, somehow, their logic then led them to believe that our friends in TN can't handle the responsibility.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

In quaint, liberal Connecticut, there is nothing preventing a permit holder from carrying in places that sell or serve alcohol, and likewise there is nothing illegal about drinking while carrying. You are simply held responsible for your actions - the way it should be.

You won't fix anything by outlawing irresponsible behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    In quaint, liberal Connecticut, there is nothing preventing a permit holder from carrying in places that sell or serve alcohol, and likewise there is nothing illegal about drinking while carrying. You are simply held responsible for your actions - the way it should be.

You won't fix anything by outlawing irresponsible behavior.
    Florida is like this...although carry into a regular bar is off limits, we are permited to carry into any restaurant that has a bar inside, we just cannnot sit in the bar portion of that restaurant. We can have a beer with a meal as long as we are sitting in the restaurant portion of the place. This allowance has been in place for quite a while now...has anyone heard of any 'wild west' shoot-outs? I haven't.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's just like drinking and driving If you get caught drunk while carrying you should have your permit pulled for ever and be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. If you are drunk and misuse a gun it should be a minimum of ten years plus the loss of your permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    It's just like drinking and driving If you get caught drunk while carrying you should have your permit pulled for ever and be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. If you are drunk and misuse a gun it should be a minimum of ten years plus the loss of your permit.
    In NYS, if you get a DWI, you will lose your guns whether your carrying at the time of the arrest or not
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Ron
    What ABC did not do is to tell the viewer what the experience has been in those states that do allow carry in restaurants and bars. How many gun fights have taken place in bars in those states, etc?

They aired the opinions and fear of the bar owners and other anti-gun people, but, as usual, statisics and fact is the enemy of the anti-gun crowd.

No surprise to me.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

You know, I am really sorry that the national reciprocation law did not pass! All these disparate laws make it soooooooooo easy for a CWP holder to be a criminal in one place and 50 feet away, in another county or another state you are a criminal. The mish mash of state laws is like all the rules and regulations of the IRS where you need your own professional accountant to keep you out of trouble. Only thing about that is you give 20 CPA's 20 different tax filings to figure out and you get 20 different answers. Just incredible!
    Maj. USA (Ret.)

In Virginia, you can OPEN carry in any restaurant that serves alcohol (we don't really have "bars" per se) and drink. You can't, however, concealed carry and NOT drink. Well, unless you're a cop, retired cop, or Commonwealth's Attorney. Then you can carry concealed AND drink. Make sense?

Also, you can FLY a commercial airliner with 250 people on board with a .04 BAC. Completely legal. But in some states you can't carry a gun with .02? Is any of this making sense?

I just want to take my wife and 2 yr old to TGIFs for lunch and not have to leave my gun in the car. What's the problem here? If you're in VA, vote McDonnell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links