Ugly, Austin shopkeeper charged w murder - Page 4

Ugly, Austin shopkeeper charged w murder

This is a discussion on Ugly, Austin shopkeeper charged w murder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; He is not going to get into heaven that way. Some people have no regard for life. As a teen the guys and I (a ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ugly, Austin shopkeeper charged w murder

He is not going to get into heaven that way. Some people have no regard for life.
    As a teen the guys and I (a bunch of skateboard kids with nothing to do in a small town) did a few beer runs. I thought that was a part of teenage culture, beer runs and prom shenanigans. I regret this stuff now as a business owner, but I guess things are different.

And that is one of the great things about this country. Each state's citizens can codify their values into the laws of that state, but have no authority to force those values on other states.
    If Mardet65 does not like the laws here in Texas, no one is going to force him to move here. If he doesn't move here (no offense intended) we don't particularly care if he likes our laws or not because he doesn't live here. If he chooses to visit, we welcome him and the Mrs with open arms, but it is with the expectation that while they are here they abide by our laws. If they decide that they do like it here and decide to move here, they are more than welcome to try persuade the other citizens of Texas to change the laws to something they think is more reasonable. But until that happens, the law is what it is. If you are a Texan and have problem with it, talk to your people in Austin. If you are not a Texan and have a problem with it, that's your problem.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    And that is one of the great things about this country. Each state's citizens can codify their values into the laws of that state, but have no authority to force those values on other states.
    If Mardet65 does not like the laws here in Texas, no one is going to force him to move here. If he doesn't move here (no offense intended) we don't particularly care if he likes our laws or not because he doesn't live here. If he chooses to visit, we welcome him and the Mrs with open arms, but it is with the expectation that while they are here they abide by our laws. If they decide that they do like it here and decide to move here, they are more than welcome to try persuade the other citizens of Texas to change the laws to something they think is more reasonable. But until that happens, the law is what it is. If you are a Texan and have problem with it, talk to your people in Austin. If you are not a Texan and have a problem with it, that's your problem.
    With all respect, If you're going to criticize or disagree with something I've said I'd appreciate it if you would quote the comment - as I did yours, so I'd be aware of your posting. Further if you're going to quote me please be considerate enough not to read YOUR conclusions into something I said, changing the entire meaning of my comment. I'd further appreciate it if you could tell me just where I said I don't like the laws in Texas or that I wouldn't abibe by those laws if I chose to move or visit Texas. I have been to Texas and while there acted as an upstanding citizen as I have all my life no matter where I resided. So far, because I chose to exercise my right to agree or disagree with an incident by simply expressing my opinion - just like everyone else posting on this issue , I've been asked if I'm a thief and told that somehow I've disrespected the entire State of Texas, it's judicial system and apparently you personally. And by the way, it dosent really mean anything when you say "no offense intended" and then proceed to offend someone.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Nothing to be scared about, as long as you stay on the right side of the law. I moved the family down here two and a half years ago and LOVE it. Give it a chance, you might like it!
    If you had allowed me to respond to this, I might have told you: I'm not scared by Texas, in fact I was there back in 1978 with the N. Y. Air National Guard Security Police, training at Lackland and Camp Bullis. I throughly enjoyed my time there visiting San Antonio's River Walk and even got to see the Alamo. I would not be afraid to move there and have several friends living in the Dallas area as well as a Brother residing in Houston. Though I will say, I'm concerned about anyone shooting someone over property. My belief is that no single piece of personal property is worth someone being killed over. I believe that defensive carry means just that . . . use in defense of your life or the life of another.
    "Kimbers are the guns you show your friends, Glocks are the guns you show your enemies."

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardet65 View Post
    If that was an ill mannered attempt at humor it wasn't funny, just rude and totally uncalled for. If you want to disagree with me or something I said, feel free but let's not be insulting. Some people need to think before shooting, others need to think before commenting.
    I am sorry if you were insulted by my question, but I seriously wonder why this one incident would change your opinion of the state. Every state has bizare events that seem to show how ridiculus some of our laws are. I think Texas has a lot of things right and I have never lived there. My kids don't get my sense of humor either.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I am sorry if you were insulted by my question, but I seriously wonder why this one incident would change your opinion of the state. Every state has bizare events that seem to show how ridiculus some of our laws are. I think Texas has a lot of things right and I have never lived there. My kids don't get my sense of humor either.
    Sir, I believe anyone would take offense about being asked if they are a thief. I assure you I am not, I have been in law enforcement all my life and try to live as a responsible law abiding citizen as I'm sure you do. If you would please read my posts above, you will see I have no objection how the State of Texas applies it's criminal justice system. I do however, believe that defensive carry of a firearm means just that. Defense of my life or the life of another. I just don't believe killing someone over a personal piece of property, no matter what the value is worth anyone's life.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Sir, I believe anyone would take offense about being asked if they are a thief. I assure you I am not, I have been in law enforcement all my life and try to live as a responsible law abiding citizen as I'm sure you do. If you would please read my posts above, you will see I have no objection how the State of Texas applies it's criminal justice system. I do however, believe that defensive carry of a firearm means just that. Defense of my life or the life of another. I just don't believe killing someone over a personal piece of property, no matter what the value is worth anyone's life.
    I did not for one second think you were a thief. I was employing a literary device by asking an ridiculous question. I am sorry that you did not see it that way. I need learn to use smilies to denote my lame attempts at humor.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I did not for one second think you were a thief. I was employing a literary device by asking an ridiculous question. I am sorry that you did not see it that way. I need learn to use smilies to denote my lame attempts at humor.
    Thank you. I appreciate you helping me clear the air between us.

With all respect, If you're going to criticize or disagree with something I've said I'd appreciate it if you would quote the comment - as I did yours, so I'd be aware of your posting. Further if you're going to quote me please be considerate enough not to read YOUR conclusions into something I said, changing the entire meaning of my comment. I'd further appreciate it if you could tell me just where I said I don't like the laws in Texas or that I wouldn't abibe by those laws if I chose to move or visit Texas. I have been to Texas and while there acted as an upstanding citizen as I have all my life no matter where I resided. So far, because I chose to exercise my right to agree or disagree with an incident by simply expressing my opinion - just like everyone else posting on this issue , I've been asked if I'm a thief and told that somehow I've disrespected the entire State of Texas, it's judicial system and apparently you personally. And by the way, it dosent really mean anything when you say "no offense intended" and then proceed to offend someone.
    Sorry Mardet65, I was referring to this post.

Man, that scares me. Thanks for the information, now that I'm retired my wife and I are thinking about relocating to a warmer climate . . . but I doubt it will be in Texas.
    When you said that scares you I took that to mean that you did not agree with the law here that allows people to be shot for stealing a twelve pack after dark. And the overall context led me to believe that because of such laws you would not consider living here. And no one said you would not abide by the laws here.

My sincere apologies for unintentionally singling you out, there have been many threads in the past where people have posted how "wrong" the laws are here. I should have worded my post more carefully so as not to lump you in with that group.

The message I was trying to convey is that in this wonderful land of ours, we all get to make the laws for our own communities. The opinions of those that are outside our communities are really of no great consequence. There are several states that have all kinds of laws I consider to be ridiculous. But as I am not a registered voter in those states, my opinion of their laws is completely irrelevant. The laws of those states work for their residents and that is all that matters. If I should ever find myself in one of those states I of course will abide by their ridiculous laws until I have either left the state or the law has changed. There is no point in me going on about what the laws there should be because obviously the people that live there had those laws passed for a reason. And, they live there and live under those laws, and I don't.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

he should not have been arrested unless a grand jury wanted it done.
    Austin is not anything like the real Texas im afraid.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Originally Posted by Mardet65 View Post
    Man, that scares me. Thanks for the information, now that I'm retired my wife and I are thinking about relocating to a warmer climate . . . but I doubt it will be in Texas.
    you should probably scratch off Flordia too,it has pretty much the same laws as we do.
    how much do you let someone steal from you before you do something about it? its a rhetorical question...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    you should probably scratch off Flordia too,it has pretty much the same laws as we do.
    how much do you let someone steal from you before you do something about it? its a rhetorical question...
    And you Sir, should probably read the preceding posts before you comment. This has already been hashed out. So you're saying, the only option of SOMETHING to do about someone stealing from you is to shoot them? That's rhetorical to if you like.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    So you're saying, the only option of SOMETHING to do about someone stealing from you is to shoot them? That's rhetorical to if you like.
    One wouldn't want to steal a Texans horse either. Officially, I think in the books it's still a hanging offense.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    One wouldn't want to steal a Texans horse either. Officially, I think in the books it's still a hanging offense.
    And a vigilante hanging was jsut as disgusting then as shooting a thief in the back today.

The only difference is that some people today think killing someone over stealing a beer is just fine. Back then people were legally hanged after a trial and conviction.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    And a vigilante hanging was jsut as disgusting then as shooting a thief in the back today.

The only difference is that some people today think killing someone over stealing a beer is just fine. Back then people were legally hanged after a trial and conviction.
    stealing a persons horse back then meant that they themselves were in jeopardy of loosing their life to Indians or by thirst.you thieves just steal as much as you like we wont harm you. we like giving our possessions to those they don't belong to we like being week also.so tell all your friends.why not start at the quoted posters house.

― Thomas Paine

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links