Homeowner shoots at Burglar

This is a discussion on Homeowner shoots at Burglar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; South Dallas homeowner shoots at utility worker mistaken for burglar 2:28 PM CT 02:42 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 By BUNMI ISHOLA / ...

Thread: Homeowner shoots at Burglar

Homeowner shoots at Burglar

South Dallas homeowner shoots at utility worker mistaken for burglar 2:28 PM CT

02:42 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 18, 2009
    By BUNMI ISHOLA / The Dallas Morning News
    bishola@dallasnews.com

An Oncor worker was slightly injured this morning, when a resident mistook him for a burglar and fired a shotgun at him, Dallas police said.

The shooting occurred at 8:50 a.m. in the 2700 block of Park Row in South Dallas.

Also Online
    Blogs: South Dallas | Crime

Get South Dallas news and resources

Get Dallas-Fort Worth crime and courts news
    Elmer Howard, 36, told police he was in the neighborhood replacing utility meters. He knocked on the door of one resident several times, he said, and when there was no response, he went around to the the back to begin working on the meter.

The resident, a 69-year-old man, said he'd been sleeping and was awakened by pounding on his walls.

When he saw a shadow of someone on a ladder outside, he said, he thought his home was being burglarized. He grabbed a shotgun and fired twice through the back door, according to a police report.

Howard was not hit by the shots, but he was struck by debris blown off the door. His injuries were minor, and he was treated by a Dallas-Fire Rescue crew. He did not have to go to the hospital.

Police said they would refer the shooting to a grand jury. Department spokesman Kevin Janse said that's the common practice. He did not identify the homeowner who, he said, has no criminal record.

Oncor spokesperson Carol Peters said the utility had left notices informing the neighborhood that workers would be in the area changing meters.

That work will continue over the next three years as Oncor upgrades its system, and “it won’t be unusual to see employees in the neighborhood,” Peters said.
    I do not condone anybody shooting thru a door at anybody they haven't verified as a threat,and this was during the daytime,under Tx law he is in the wrong,I'm betting a grand jury finds him guilty of Aggravated assault or worse
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    That was a senseless act! I would agree that he will be convicted of some kind of an asault!

That's as bad as shooting your wife in the middle of the night while on her way back to bed from a bathroom trip! Know your target before you pull that trigger! You certinly do not get that bullet back that leaves the muzzle of your firearm.
    [One Nation Under God]

That is like.... What the......... Just not right... Sad things like this gets in the news, but that is going to happen..

Firing thru the back door wasn't so bright. But, most utilities give advance notice when they will be working -- in particular when they will be at the house rather than out in the street. Hopefully they also learned a lesson.

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    Firing thru the back door wasn't so bright. But, most utilities give advance notice when they will be working -- in particular when they will be at the house rather than out in the street. Hopefully they also learned a lesson.
    They did try to notify the homeowner! Read it again!
    [One Nation Under God]

I don't really need to read it again

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsupporter View Post
    They did try to notify the homeowner! Read it again!
    Did you read mine? They knocked on the day of service. I wrote about advance notice. Stuffers in mailboxes, door hangers, phone calls, notices in local paper, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePVB View Post
    Did you read mine? They knocked on the day of service. I wrote about advance notice. Stuffers in mailboxes, door hangers, phone calls, notices in local paper, etc.
    Oncor spokesperson Carol Peters said the utility had left notices informing the neighborhood that workers would be in the area changing meters.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

whoops. Got to identify your target...

Distinguished Member Array tiwee's Avatar
    There are a lot of older people in changing neighborhoods that are fearful of their safety. Many posses an old shotgun or 22 rifle and have forgotten the basics of safe gun use. I am surprised this doesn't happen more often.

LMAO..... I had someone break in to the house (before I lived here) and when I "surprisingly" came home for lunch , opened the door to find my guns all piled up to go in the livingroom (bought a safe right after this). The guy ran out the back door as I was coming in the front door ... clear line of sight of him. I caught a guy in the backyard who "claimed" he was working for the Utility company and checking power lines, but could produce any ID.

Police called, blah blah blah.

I feel bad for the old guy. I'm not condoning what he did, just feel bad for him.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I feel bad for the old guy. I'm not condoning what he did, just feel bad for him.
    I feel bad for the other guys underwear

Well im sure the old guy feels terrible, just luckily no one was killed. as stated earlier, im surprised this doesnt happen more often,

Feel bad for the older man too.
    Wonder if the utility worker found another
    job after this incident or just bought some body
    armor and kept at it.

Links