Ugly: Ga. animal lovers killed by pack of wild dogs

This is a discussion on Ugly: Ga. animal lovers killed by pack of wild dogs within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ga. animal lovers killed by pack of wild dogs By KATE BRUMBACK, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 50 mins ago LEXINGTON, Ga. – A ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly: Ga. animal lovers killed by pack of wild dogs

Ugly: Ga. animal lovers killed by pack of wild dogs

Ga. animal lovers killed by pack of wild dogs

By KATE BRUMBACK, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 50 mins ago
    LEXINGTON, Ga. – A shredded piece of shirt, some strands of hair and bloodstained dirt are all that remain along the rural stretch of road where authorities believe a pack of wild dogs fatally mauled an elderly couple.

Sherry Schweder, a 65-year-old animal lover, was taking an evening stroll when she was attacked. Her husband, Lothar Schweder, a retired professor, had gone out in search of her.

Paramedics who came to the grisly scene Saturday morning found the suspected attackers standing guard. While it's unclear exactly what happened because there were no witnesses, officials have rounded up 16 dogs they believe were involved.

It was the same group of medium-sized, mixed-breed dogs Sherry Schweder worried about, wondering if anyone was taking care of them as she saw them wander around.

Experts say the attack is extremely rare — so rare "you are more likely to killed by a bolt of lightening than by a dog," said Adam Goldfarb, a spokesman for the Humane Society of the United States.

The feral dogs didn't belong to anyone, but a man who owns a house at the end of the road had been feeding them, said Oglethorpe County sheriff's Capt. Shalon Huff. The man told authorities the dogs never behaved aggressively toward him, and he did not believe the dogs had killed the couple.

"Sometimes the pack mentality can play a role. One dog gets aroused and that revs up his buddies," Goldfarb said.

The dogs were aggressive toward authorities who rounded them up using traps and tranquilizers, Huff said. At one point, a group of them cornered two people against a vehicle. There were no signs the dogs were rabid, Huff said.

Authorities believe Sherry Schweder went for an evening walk near her home on Friday, perhaps looking for one of her own dogs that had been missing for about a month.

At some point, Schweder was attacked. Preliminary autopsy results showed she died from animal bites.

Authorities believe Lothar Schweder, 77, later went looking for her in his car and came across his wife's body. There were signs of a scuffle, several shoe prints and what appeared to be paw prints in the mud, authorities said.

He may have tried to pull out his cell phone before he succumbed to the attack, Madison County Coroner James Mathews said. Autopsy results show Lothar Schweder also died of injuries from multiple animal bites.

A group of Jehovah's Witnesses walking in the same area discovered the bodies Saturday morning and called police. Four days later, a faint unpleasant smell still hung in the air.

There have been at least 20 deadly dog attacks in the U.S. this year, 22 in 2008 and 33 in 2007, said the Humane Society's Goldfarb, compared with about 75 million owned dogs. The National Weather Service says there were 27 lightning deaths so far this year, 28 in 2008 and 45 in 2007.

Dogs that attack also typically are not spayed or neutered, which can contribute to aggression, Goldfarb said. The dogs in the attack are not believed to have been sterilized.

With a voice that wavered at times, one of the couple's sons, Mark Schweder, described his parents as "kind people who lived a simple life out here."

He said his parents had divorced and his father moved to Kansas, where the elder Schweder ran the library and worked in public relations for a state penitentiary.

But after retiring in 2001, Lothar Schweder moved back to Athens to woo his ex-wife back.

"They always loved each other. My dad pursued, pursued and finally scored again," his son said with a smile.

His mother worked as a bibliographer at the University of Georgia's library. In the early 1970s, his father was a German and philosophy professor at the school, the son said.

Mark Schweder, who lives in Aiken, S.C., said his parents, especially his mother, were animal lovers. He also said he did not want charges to be brought against the man who fed the dogs.

"It's just a horrible accident," Mark Schweder said.

By Tuesday evening, 11 dogs and 5 puppies had been taken to the Madison-Oglethorpe animal shelter, where the staff was beginning court-ordered euthanizations.

Authorities were still trying to catch two other dogs seen in the area. Meanwhile, the shelter has been asked to look for homes for the Schweders' 20 cats and seven dogs.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090818/...dly_dog_attack

2. Remove Ads

This is simply tragic; for two animal lovers to die like that is horribly ironic. My prayers go out to their family.

I'm glad no charges are being filed against the man who fed the dogs. He was simply trying to do something decent, it seems.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Another good reason to carry,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I understand the motive to feed dogs, but ferral animals are bad bad news. The last thing you want is wild dogs hanging around your neighborhood.

This is horrible. Dogs are man's best friend, our early warning system, our protectors, and indispensable workers at herding our livestock, detecting drugs and bombs, darn fine hunting partners, and guardians of our children.

When we fail to live up to the responsibilities of this contract, our 'best friends' revert to the behavior of their wolf ancestors: if you can catch it and kill it, it is food. I fear we will see more of this as the economy tanks.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

The statement by the Humane Society rep is disingenuous at best, lightening comparison and all.

Facts with real math...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tml#post231646

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

This is a very sad event. And a horrible way to die I might add. I was thinking as I read about it on Drudge that if the couple had CCW and pistols, it more than likely would have been a totally different outcome.

Even if they were only able to shoot two or three of the dogs, it probably would have scattered the pack and caused them to re-evaluate their food source.

As we all know, guns aren't just for the 2 legged predators, but frequently come in handy for the 4 legged kind as well.

Very sad day indeed, and a double funeral for the family is such a tragic way to end the summer.

May God have mercy on their souls and comfort their surviving family members.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

So how many burglaries and home invasions didn't happen because evil people know dogs would greet them at the door? How many carjackings were aborted because a dog road shotgun in the car? How many kids playing in their back yard were left unmolestested because a dog would intervene?

I work in a store that is far from any police protection and there are gobs of cash and numerous firearms there for the taking. My best friend is a Lab mix from the pound. If he felt that his lord and master was threatened, that person would be torn to shreds. It would be very, very ugly.

If you have any doubts about this, PM me. Bring you kids, cats, and dogs. Bear loves to play. But bear in mind that suicide is a mortal sin.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Awful, just awful.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Bear loves to play. But bear in mind that suicide is a mortal sin.
    I have no idea why but that phrase struck me as the funiest thing I have heard today.

"Don't stick you finger in the polar bear cage, suicide is a mortal sin."
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

It's truly a tragedy that this couple had to face such a horrible end. As Janq pointed out, the problem is larger than the simple death figures would indicate.

One of my daughters & her husband live on 20 acres out on a country road about a half hour from San Antonio. They and their neighbors must constantly be on the lookout for packs of ferals. It's a common occurrence for strays to show up, obviously dumped by callous owners. Recently, a half-dozen puppies appeared at their gate one morning. My daughter is very kind-hearted and does her best to see that strays are captured and handled properly. She hates to do it, but she's had to shoot aggressive ferals before. I would no more go unarmed in a country locale than an urban one.

I have nothing but contempt for those who refuse to take responsibility for their animals. They fail to vaccinate them, don't spay or neuter, and then when they get tired of them or have too many, they dispose of them for others to deal with.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Tragic but yet probably avoidable if they had been armed.
    The attack could have been averted with a few well-placed shots...even 4-legged animals prefer the easiest prey.
    Thinking about this kind of attack if you were with children or grandchildren is almost beyond comprehension.

Stay armed...we all make choices on SD...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm a dog lover, but I have no tolerance for feral (or semi-feral), aggressive dogs. In a word, they are dangerous--much more dangerous to people than the healthy wolf poplulation in my neighborhood. Unlike their fully wild cousins, they have no fear of people. When packed up, they are a menace to people and game alike.

It's another very good reason to carry. All canines are smart, as far as threat is concerned. I'm betting that after the first "bang", the pack would evaporate like a puff of smoke. Really too bad about this couple.

PC

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    What a horrible way to go!
    [One Nation Under God]

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Dogs are man's best friend, our early warning system, our protectors, and ...
    Our own dogs, that is.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links