Elmore County Judge eases up on Murder Co-Defendant!

This is a discussion on Elmore County Judge eases up on Murder Co-Defendant! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; August 18, 2009 Man sentenced to 13 years for Millbrook murder The co-defendant in a high profile capital murder case was sentenced to 13 years ...

Thread: Elmore County Judge eases up on Murder Co-Defendant!

August 18, 2009

Man sentenced to 13 years for Millbrook murder

The co-defendant in a high profile capital murder case was sentenced to 13 years in prison Tuesday morning.

RonDarrell Terrell Williams, 29, of Montgomery, was sentenced by Circuit Judge John Bush at 9 a.m., courthouse records show. Williams was initially indicted on capital murder charges in the Aug. 29, 2007 slaying of James Bryan Martin, a young Millbrook father of two. Williams pleaded guilty to felony murder in the case on June 22, just before the capital murder trial of Calvin McMillan, 20, of Opelika, was set to begin.

The sentence was the minimum allowed by law.

“I never had any reason to believe that you’ve been nothing but straight and honest with this court,” Bush said to Williams before handing down the sentence.

“But the court doesn’t discount the severity of this event and must take this into consideration before passing sentence.”

The jury convicted McMillan of two counts of capital murder, then went on to recommend a sentence of life in prison without possibility of parole. Williams’ testimony during the trial was a key factor in gaining the convictions, said Houston.

Williams testified that he drove McMillan to the Millbrook Wal-Mart under the impression McMillan wanted to steal a vehicle. Martin, 23, had been to a Montgomery Biscuits game that night and had stopped by the store on the way home to pick up diapers and baby wipes.

McMillan shot him four times in the parking lot, and stole his Ford pickup.

On Aug. 7, Bush overrode the jury’s recommended sentence for McMillan and handed down the death penalty.

Before the sentence was passed, Chief Assistant District Attorney James Houts told Bush that Martin’s family did not object to the minimal sentence being considered.

-- Marty Roney
    I thought it would have been more severe but that is just my thinking. While is doesn't state it here, Williams was following Martin inside Walmart while McMillian was waiting at Martin's Truck. He phoned McMillian that Martin was on the way out of the store. So Williams actually did more that just drive the shooter to the Store. In reality he phoned the shooter to let him know the victim was on the way out of the store. Thought it would have been more severe for Williams.

As per a previous post, McMillian is now on Death Row in Atmore, Alabama.

Take Care folks
    Stay Safe
    Boze
    Boze
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to, this is the last stand on earth." Ronald Reagan

"Gentlemen, Prepare to defend yourselves" SGM Basil Plumley

Prime example, in todays society there are way too many [B]PLEA BARGANS[B] I just cant stand the fact that some DA's are willing to put a PLEA on the table just to keep from going to trial or taking their chances with the jury,

It basicially boils down to a victory in their eyes. They didnt loose the case and the bad guy is off the street..

Well I dont see it that way, I feel they need to make strict examples out of violent criminals, sexual offenders and so forth.....

Court house hangins and so forth!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
    Prime example, in todays society there are way too many [B]PLEA BARGANS[B] I just cant stand the fact that some DA's are willing to put a PLEA on the table just to keep from going to trial or taking their chances with the jury,

It basicially boils down to a victory in their eyes. They didnt loose the case and the bad guy is off the street..

Well I dont see it that way, I feel they need to make strict examples out of violent criminals, sexual offenders and so forth.....

Court house hangins and so forth!!!!!
    I don't really object to plea bargains as long as the victim or their family agrees to it.

I'm a strong advocate of allowing the victim or their family to set the sentence (within bounds prescribed by law).

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
    I don't really object to plea bargains as long as the victim or their family agrees to it.

I'm a strong advocate of allowing the victim or their family to set the sentence (within bounds prescribed by law).

Ryan
    If you plea bargain just because the first victims family is okay with it, arent they culpable too to anything after he gets released? Zero tolerance for murder, sexual crimes, and child abuse. That means zero plea bargains.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post

Ryan
    And I am a strong beleiver in the death penalty and firing squads.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    If you plea bargain just because the first victims family is okay with it, arent they culpable too to anything after he gets released? Zero tolerance for murder, sexual crimes, and child abuse. That means zero plea bargains.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    And I am a strong beleiver in the death penalty and firing squads.
    The Elmore County Alabama Circuit Court really really needs you these days!

Take Care
    Stay Safe
    Boze
    Boze
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to, this is the last stand on earth." Ronald Reagan

"Gentlemen, Prepare to defend yourselves" SGM Basil Plumley

VIP Member
    I just cant stand the fact that some DA's are willing to put a PLEA on the table just to keep from going to trial or taking their chances with the jury,

From what little I've read about this case, it looks more like a case of rolling the lesser prep to nail the actual shooter -- who got the death penalty.

IMHO, rolling a perp to move up the food-chain or to nail a case that you might well lose, were the lesser prep to plead the 5th, or lie through his/her teeth is a good tool.

As always, YMMV
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    From what little I've read about this case, it looks more like a case of rolling the lesser prep to nail the actual shooter -- who got the death penalty.

IMHO, rolling a perp to move up the food-chain or to nail a case that you might well lose, were the lesser prep to plead the 5th, or lie through his/her teeth is a good tool.

As always, YMMV
    Yes I understand your point, however DA's are too offer a Plea just to put o guy away for a shorter amount of time, I just dont agree with that. I think maximum punishment for the crime. As society we need start making examples out of criminals and making the punnishment fit the crime

VIP Member
    Yes I understand your point, however DA's are too offer a Plea just to put o guy away for a shorter amount of time, I just dont agree with that. I think maximum punishment for the crime. As society we need start making examples out of criminals and making the punnishment fit the crime
    No argument from me there.

Or that the term served should be what the court sentenced.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Incredible...

Quote Originally Posted by KralBlbec View Post
    that a 29 year old adult,who premeditatedly aided and abetted, by his own admission, a friend, in grand theft, and the resulting cold blooded murder of a young father is granted leniency for honesty after the fact in court. Such leniency is not, imho, progress for America, but soft headedness. And, the victim's family position on the matter, to my mind, should not be a factor. Justice is all that should be a factor. Zero Tolerance is the only just position, I would vehemently agree!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Links