6 Cops, 59 Shots, 43 Wounds, 1 Dead in Tenn. - Page 2

6 Cops, 59 Shots, 43 Wounds, 1 Dead in Tenn.

This is a discussion on 6 Cops, 59 Shots, 43 Wounds, 1 Dead in Tenn. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; While this amount of fire may seem excessive to the layman, LEO's are taught to draw and fire 2 shots in less than 2 seconds. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6 Cops, 59 Shots, 43 Wounds, 1 Dead in Tenn.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    While this amount of fire may seem excessive to the layman, LEO's are taught to draw and fire 2 shots in less than 2 seconds. There are training drills in which up to 10
    shots are fired. I can easily visualize 6 officers firing 59 shots in just a matter of seconds, especially if an armed suspect is not complying with commands. There is simply no alternative but to keep firing until the threat is positively neutralized.
    It's interesting that the suspects father said he had no history of mental illness, when he walks around pointing a gun at himself. I guess his father's as good a psychiatrist as the NAACP is at crime scene investigation/reconstruction.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Community opportunists, I mean "activists" typically do not have REAL jobs earning a REAL paycheck. They get their money by extorting businesses and police depts by using the race card to protect minority criminals.

1 Shot from a trained sniper would have turned him off like a switch.

I 100% support the officers who took him out, but 60 shots? I could believe that coming from a department like NYPD, but these guys are from the state that gave us Sargent York and Davy Crockett.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    While I fully support our PD, 59 shots, .40 cal or larger at that, I think demands an in-depth investigation. The decision to shoot was probably well justified; the question is how to know when to stop shooting. I hope the investigation determines the officer did the right thing to shoot, and I feel fairly confident it will turn out that way. Fifty nine shots may be more difficult to resolve.
    Cops in Hamilton county seem to be trigger happy lately, got this guy, got a kid, and got another in east ridge. The guy in east ridge deserved it if the reports are correct, he was ramming the officers with his car.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The way I see it, suppose the department wanted to look at the results and say, "Huh, does our training or implementation need some changes based on this outcome?" They might investigate the shooting, internally, make a decision, and implement some changes.

But when some group with a CAUSE gets involved, then there are only two outcomes to the demanded investigation: either a scapegoated officer (if nothing was done wrong) or a political whitewash (if something was done wrong). The professional grievance mongers, by their very loud an dpublic demand for Something To Be Done almost automatically undermine their own stated intentions. *sigh*

And, yeah, I'd like to know how "laying down on top of a rifle" might be any different from "prone shooting position." This is why eye witnesses are often so useless---if you don't understand what you are seeing, you aren't seeing anything.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Wow! Took 43 hits to put the guy down.... Maybe they need more effective ammo!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaber View Post
    No problem here. After the first two shots he probably didn't even feel the other 41 that hit him.
    Every cloud has a silver lining...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

While I fully support our PD, 59 shots, .40 cal or larger at that, I think demands an in-depth investigation. The decision to shoot was probably well justified; the question is how to know when to stop shooting. I hope the investigation determines the officer did the right thing to shoot, and I feel fairly confident it will turn out that way. Fifty nine shots may be more difficult to resolve.
    The LEOS I know would not have flipped a coin to see who got to shoot,they would protect themselves and their bros and shoot till the threat stopped.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

If at some time during this situation, the man pointed his rifle at the cops, I can see them each making the decision to fire.

Once that decision was made, the drill is to keep firing until the threat is neutralized. If the guy still has hold of the gun, even if he is down, he is still a threat.

As far as firing so many rounds, I figure that the cops don't have the ability to freeze time in order to form a committee and discuss who should keep shooting and who should stop.

Remember, at any time all that guy had to do was point and pull the trigger and a cop could be dead.

It really bugs me how in all these stories, no one ever mentions the extreme risk the cops took by even confronting the guy.

Most likely, it was a good shoot.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    A crazy guy committing a federal felony and refusing to drop a weapon when lawfully ordered... excessive force?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Boy, oh boy...... To me it does not matter if a person was shot with a BB gun, a 22, a 32, a 458 super mangle-um, a 700 Nirto Express, or a 105mm howitzer, that killed them. It only matters if that first shot was justified. All the others rounds fired to make sure there is still no threat left, should not matter. I know it is just MOSO (My Own Stupid Opinion). But if you really look at it, that is all that really matters.

If they are justified in the shooting, what difference does 1 vs 69 shots make? Dead is dead. I realize it looks bad to the general and sometimes biased public, but the result is the same as 1 shot fired.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG45 View Post
    It only matters if that first shot was justified. All the others rounds fired to make sure there is still no threat left, should not matter.
    Couldn't agree more.

And a 73% hit ratio? For cops, that's awesome!

+1 to all who brought up about 6 cops each emptying a mag in a few seconds. Once the shooting starts how are the LEO's to know for sure whether the shots are coming from the BG or the other LEO's - I'd keep shooting too until I was out or the gun was physically separated from the BG, prone or not.

VIP Member
    I agree since perception trumps facts every time. Most likely, the LEO’s will be fine although it sounds like some of these guys need to spend more time on the range e.g. face, groin, buttocks, etc. ~
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links