6 Cops, 59 Shots, 43 Wounds, 1 Dead in Tenn. - Page 4

6 Cops, 59 Shots, 43 Wounds, 1 Dead in Tenn.

This is a discussion on 6 Cops, 59 Shots, 43 Wounds, 1 Dead in Tenn. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Guy wants to commit suicide by cop. So what are the police supposed to do: let him wonder around until he actually shoots someone, try ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 6 Cops, 59 Shots, 43 Wounds, 1 Dead in Tenn.

Guy wants to commit suicide by cop. So what are the police supposed to do: let him wonder around until he actually shoots someone, try to contain and disarm, or hope the 'cash for clunkers' deal gives him back the will to live?

I do have a question about the number of shots fired. Does the department need better weapons, more training, or perhaps both?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    I wasn't aware there was any question about whether the shooting was justified, I thought it had been well established that it was a justified shoot. Also, suicide-by-cop has been tossed about, but I wasn't aware it had been confirmed that that's what this was.

As for the number of hits, and poor placement, I'm not sure that the hit ratio and placement is out of line at all with national norms of something like 20% or so. It appeared at first that there were 43 hits, but according to later reports, there may have only been about half that since entrance and exit wounds were included in the count of 43.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

When you are shooting at something you can really only track where your rounds go. The police that were shooting were probably six individuals shooting at there target. They could see him react and they could probably figure out that it was due to other officers gun fire but it is not grilled into them with multiple people firing at the same target like that. When police train it is mostly individuals shooting at there target. Same with most cwp holders. if you were out with three friends and someone came and pulled a gun on the four of you (assuming all four had clear lines of fire) there would be four times the number of perforations in the guy had he only taken on one of you since all four will fire till he falls over or til he drops the gun.

VIP Member
    I'll train intersecting fields of fire. When students all fire together at the same target, they learn to concentrate on what they're doing in spite of the distractions from other fire.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by snip View Post
    When you are shooting at something you can really only track where your rounds go. The police that were shooting were probably six individuals shooting at there target. They could see him react and they could probably figure out that it was due to other officers gun fire but it is not grilled into them with multiple people firing at the same target like that. When police train it is mostly individuals shooting at there target. Same with most cwp holders. if you were out with three friends and someone came and pulled a gun on the four of you (assuming all four had clear lines of fire) there would be four times the number of perforations in the guy had he only taken on one of you since all four will fire till he falls over or til he drops the gun.
    I agree completely! However in this case, the BG was already down before the shooting started - am I remembering that correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    I'll train intersecting fields of fire. When students all fire together at the same target, they learn to concentrate on what they're doing in spite of the distractions from other fire.
    Sounds very wise to me!!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links