Bad times in Tampa

This is a discussion on Bad times in Tampa within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Suspect arrested in Tampa officer's killing - Bay News 9 TAMPA (Bay News 9) -- A Tampa police officer was shot and killed in the ...

Thread: Bad times in Tampa

Bad times in Tampa

Suspect arrested in Tampa officer's killing - Bay News 9

TAMPA (Bay News 9) -- A Tampa police officer was shot and killed in the Sulphur Springs area of Tampa Wednesday night.

Corporal Mike Roberts, 38, was investigating a suspicious person when he was shot.

The suspect, who police have identified as 34-year-old Humberto Delgado Jr., has been charged in the murder.

The shooting took place at Nebraska Avenue and E. Arctic Street.

"This was an exceptional officer who had just an absolutely excellent reputation not only as a police officer but as a human being," said Tampa police spokesperson Laura McElroy. "There is no doubt that he died a hero tonight protecting his community."

Police said they received a call at about 10 p.m. about a suspicious person. They said Roberts, an 11-year veteran officer, answered the call alone.

Roberts found Delgado, who lives in Oldsmar, pushing a shopping cart on Nebraska Ave. When he made contact with the man, Roberts discovered that the cart was loaded with weapons.

When Roberts tried to apprehend him, a violent struggle ensued, police said.

Delgado broke loose and ran across Nebraska Avenue.

Roberts pursued him on foot. Witnesses said Delgado then began pistol-whipping Roberts in the head before shooting him.

Castor said Roberts was wearing a bullet-proof vest but the bullet went through his arm and into his chest through a small area that was unprotected.

Delgado then took off down Arctic Street.

By then backup crews had arrived. The officer's sergeant saw the officer down and saw the suspect.

Humberto Delgado Jr. was taken into custody shortly after the shooting. Delgado then pointed an AR-15 rifle at the sergeant, McElroy said.

The sergeant took cover and the suspect continued running.

The sergeant then went to Roberts, who was transported Tampa General Hospital. He was pronounced dead at 10:50 p.m.

Roberts was a husband and father of a 3-year-old son. He was an Air Force and Army veteran and had recently been promoted.

McElroy said witnesses called the police and told them where Delgado was located.

A police K-9 tracked him to a backyard at which point he threw down his gun and gave up.

Delgado had at least four weapons in the cart and in a backpack, police said. They found a receipt showing that Delgado bought many firearms in another state.

Roberts is the 27th Tampa police officer to be killed in the line of duty.

Delgado has been charged with first degree murder of a law enforcement officer, aggravated assault of a law enforcement officer and carrying a concealed firearm.

Absolutely sickens me.

I know what happened to another cop killer a couple years ago. He was found in the woods by the swat team, hiding by a log. If I remember correctly, a few hundred rounds later and justice was served....
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

2. Remove Ads

I live pretty close to their. Nebraska Ave. is a pretty bad part of town. RIP and thanks for your service.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

VIP Member
    RIP Hero.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Amazing restraint demostrated by the arresting officer. Prayers for the family of the fallen officer.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

cmb
    Horrible to hear, I avoid that area, especially at night, however I can choose to, he chose to serve and protect, may God be with his family and especially his son.

He is a true hero, God bless his family.
    Jamie

Sad.

Sorry to hear this...may this officer's family get through this terrible time.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Another weird fact, Delgado had also been in the service and was a prior LEO, but was discharged/fired probably for mental instability. Not sure if he was ever committed, or if so, how he wound up buying guns. Who would ever think a homeless looking guy would have 4-guns in his pushcart? Supposedly 3 handguns and what they said on TV, an "assault" rifle, probably an AR or AK.

Another fact was that it sounds like Delgado shot the officer in the armpit during the struggle, probably since he had knowledge of wearing vests being ex-LEO. I recall another LEO being shot like that recently with a 22 which bounced around and he ended up bleeding out due to the damage it caused.

What a tragic loss

Totally senseless,and people wonder why cops are shooting more often,this Officer tried to effect an arrest on a person that resisted and had firearms and lost his life because of it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Spechless.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

He should go strait to trial ,found GUILTY & put to DEATH case closed!!
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Links