Good: Ex Giant and MSU star Burress to Jail

This is a discussion on Good: Ex Giant and MSU star Burress to Jail within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 He'll go to jail and then get out to a job in the millions...how many of you could do that? He'll ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good: Ex Giant and MSU star Burress to Jail

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    He'll go to jail and then get out to a job in the millions...how many of you could do that?
    He'll be just like Vick, the NFL will welcome him back with open arms. League is full of thugs and gangsta's as it is!

JMO!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

2. Remove Ads

I thought it sounded like he had tried to grab the gun. I hadn't seen anything state that, but when I saw it was a Glock, I realized that was probably what happened because of everything I've read about it not going off without a finger on the trigger.

It's possible he grabbed it to prevent it hitting the floor where someone would see it, knowing it was illegal to be carrying it. Carrying a gun loose in your waistband while dancing in a nightclub seems like a truly darwinian level of negligence.

Someone this week pointed out that he got a longer sentence then either Vick or the football player who killed someone while driving drunk (apparently he only did 20 days in jail before housearrest, and has either a one or two year suspension from the league.) What a world.

Funny NFL star Donte Stallworth runs somebody over and kills them DUI and gets 30 days jail, two years house arrest but can still train and play, and 8 years probabtion. Plaxico shoots himself and gets to serve a mandatory minimum of 20 months? Not condoning either but justice is a weird thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ810 View Post
    Someone this week pointed out that he got a longer sentence then either Vick or the football player who killed someone while driving drunk (apparently he only did 20 days in jail before housearrest, and has either a one or two year suspension from the league.) What a world.
    Agreed. One of the Rams was drinking and driving, had an accident and killed a lady, and he didn't serve much time. Seems like it was a repeat DUI for him also, but I'm too tired to look up the details.

I was hoping Burress would have the money to fight this and maybe have a chance at getting NY's carry laws struck down. Probably just dreaming on my part. I know if any of us little people had been charged with the same, we'd be doing time.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I was hoping Burress would have the money to fight this and maybe have a chance at getting NY's carry laws struck down. Probably just dreaming on my part. I know if any of us little people had been charged with the same, we'd be doing time.
    I would hope the same, but unfortunately this level of carelessness and recklessness will only hurt the cause - the sheeple will be paranoid about who will be carrying what etc. etc. Many anti's or simply people not familiar with guns have this fear that a loaded gun will go off even if you look at it funny, they fear that our right to carry a weapon only jepardizes public safety rather than increase safety/decrease crime.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I think two years in a cell is a little much for the magnitude of the crime he committed- especially considering that he SHOT himself, too.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cz2075bd View Post
    wasn't this the incident where the original news report stated that he was carrying a "9mm 40 caliber" pistol? Stupid reporter.
    LOL, I missed that one.
    are good for free entertainment at least
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

More than likely he wont serve his entire sentence, he'll be out makin millions before ya know it. Next time he will have somebody else illegally toating his weapon for him,,, bc jail time will make him smarter

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I think two years in a cell is a little much for the magnitude of the crime he committed- especially considering that he SHOT himself, too.
    Agreed! Charles Krauthammer had the best line on this issue. He said something like, "I would have sentenced him to two months of house arrest and one month of mandatory target practice."

PC

Senior Moderator
    I don't think his sentence was excessive by any means.

He unlawfully carried the weapon into a crowded establishment and then through his own culpable negligence discharged a round.

That he only managed to shoot himself is the only good thing in the story, IMHO.

He knew he was breaking the law, he placed many people in danger by his reckless conduct, and he should face the consequences, IMHO.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I am always amazed at high paid MORONS...
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links