Bad: UT student shot, killed in downtown robbery

This is a discussion on Bad: UT student shot, killed in downtown robbery within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; UT student shot, killed in downtown robbery - Bay News 9 UT student shot, killed in downtown robbery. HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- An ...

Thread: Bad: UT student shot, killed in downtown robbery

Bad: UT student shot, killed in downtown robbery

UT student shot, killed in downtown robbery - Bay News 9

UT student shot, killed in downtown robbery.

HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- An overnight robbery in Tampa led to a University of Tampa athlete being shot to death.

According to the Tampa Police Department, 21-year-old Ryan P. McCall

and a friend were attacked while walking home from the Retreat Bar at 3 a.m. along the north Boulevard Bridge near west Palm Ave.

Officials said as McCall and his friend Michael J. Harahan, also 21, were walking along the foot of the bridge at the Hillsborough River, when a man with a gun jumped out and robbed them.

After being robbed, Harahan ran from the scene. He heard a gunshot as he ran off, he later told police. Harahan ran to a nearby house and called police.

By the time authorities arrived, McCall was dead and the gunman was gone.

McCall was originally from Downington, Pennsylvania but his family had moved to Holiday in Pasco County.

A senior majoring in allied health, McCall was a member of the UT cross country team.

Authorities closed the bridge in the early morning hours as part of their investigation.

McCall, 21, was a member of the UT cross country squad.
    They continue to search for a suspect.

McCall's family spoke about losing their loved one.

"He did nothing wrong to have his life taken and to affect all of us the way it has," Ryan's brother, Kevin McCall said.

"I'm just gonna take it minute by minute and not day by day and see how the investigation and hopefully they will bring (a suspect) to justice," said Ryan's father, Kevin McCall Sr.

"This is like a tragedy in your own family," UT head cross country coach Jarrett Slaven said in a statement." Ryan was a funny, happy-go-lucky, motivated individual who kept humor in his life. The team will miss him a lot and it will be extremely hard for everyone. Our prayers go out to his entire family. His brother ran here and his parents were very supportive of the program, coming to many events. As a family, this team will stick together and get through this."

Ryan's dad and brother spoke about the loss.
    "He was just a great personality," said Ryan's teammate, Chris Catanach. "It's an enormous loss for me for our team for this university and anybody who knew this kid he was a unbelievable person, teammate and friend."

Officials said the crime appears to be random. Anyone with information is asked to call the Tampa Police Department at (813) 276-3200.

Be safe out there everyone. You never know whats comming youre way...
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    [sarcasm]
    Why would a college student or someone leaving a place that serves alcohol need a firearm?
    [/sarcasm]

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Leaving a bar possibly intoxicated,3am,walking in a desolate area,all the things we warn about trying to avoid if possible.I hope they catch the guy that did it,but were running out of room in prisons,if you kill somebody during the commission of a crime then we should kill you back,no life imprisonment,I think the reason it's not mandatory is because there would be more shootouts when cops go to arrest the murder suspects
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I forget that there is another UT in TX. I am the other McColl from Tn.

Sad story. the BG's know who the vulnerable are.

Links