Bad: Grocery Cart Trap

This is a discussion on Bad: Grocery Cart Trap within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Article: Woman Ambushed In Grocery Cart Trap - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit News Video: Video Woman Ambushed In Grocery Cart Trap Grocery ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Grocery Cart Trap

Bad: Grocery Cart Trap

Article: Woman Ambushed In Grocery Cart Trap - Detroit Local News Story - WDIV Detroit

News Video: Video

Woman Ambushed In Grocery Cart Trap
    Grocery Carts Blocked Road
    POSTED: Thursday, August 20, 2009
    UPDATED: 6:42 pm EDT August 20, 2009
    WESTLAND, Mich. -- A Westland woman was attacked when she pulled over her vehicle because grocery carts were blocking the road.

Police said Nicole Duncan was driving south on Central City Parkway, near Warren Road in Westland when she noticed four grocery carts in the middle of the one-way street.
    Duncan said she pulled over and got out of her car to move them out of the way, but noticed something wasn't right.
    As she was getting back into her car, Duncan said she was attacked.
    The attacker threw her to the ground, kicked her repeatedly and jumped in her car, Duncan said.
    Moments later, a Westland police officer arrived and the attacker took off running, police said.
    Police caught up with the suspect, who turned out to be a 16-year-old boy from Westland.
    Investigators believed the boy used the grocery carts to block the road so he could carjack an oncoming vehicle.
    Duncan suffered scrapes and bruises in the attack.
    DM2
    "I did the thing I feared the most. Excuse me while I cheer. Now here I stand a stronger soul and all I lost was fear." ...Anonymous

2. Remove Ads

Anytime, Anywhere! If something just doesn't seem right... trust your instincts!

Four shopping carts lined up to block a public road IS NOT RIGHT!

Don't go down there! Either back up and return from the direction you came, or take the dings and dents in your car by using your car to push them out of the way to get out of the ambush zone as quickly as possible!

That situation just screams... "Don't get out of the car!"

Some people are just so aloof or anal about getting a ding on their car that they will risk death to avoid a bump with their car.

This situation was nearly 100% totally avoidable!

If that situation did not have her alarm bells going off, then she was just plain and simple. (Hard to cure that, but can be done with education) If her instincts told her something was bad, and she chose to ignore it, then she was stupid! (as Ron White says... "You can't fix stupid!")

Maybe this lady got that much needed education the hard way. It remains to be seen though.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I remember an ad for a plastic paneled car (Saturn?) where a shopping cart in the lot singled out the car, tracked it down, and whacked it. Well, it actually happened to me, but my clunker just shrugged off the hit. Now that the gov'mint's crushing all the clunkers, the shopping cart trap is a serious problem for all the latte liberals in their Lexus's. They'll have to wrest the wheel of my clunker from my cold dead hands. The next cart trap I run into I'll run into, pedal to the metal (what metal's left of it.) I'm glad she escaped with her life without more serious injury. Here's another teachable moment for situational awareness, mindset, and CC.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

The last thing I would have done was to exit the car. The first thing I would have done is look around for anything suspicious. What are the odds of four random shopping carts being placed across the roadway. I would have just slowly continued driving through row of shopping carts slowly pushing them out of the way.

Again, finding four shopping carts blocking the roadway would have had my "radar" up & running. Plus, pushing a few shopping carts out of the way is the safest way of dealing with a few shopping carts blocking the road.
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

VIP Member
    Something like this is way too suspicious to get out, I have full coverage insurance bye bye shopping carts I am going through.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

My F100 would have had no trouble smashing through... I need not worry about dings. The carts might end up irreparable though..

Seriously now.. I would have drove through them... there's no way I would have stopped for that.. it screams ambush..

Yeah but if a CCW holder was the one that got out to move the carts It mighta been that 16 year olds last and final attempt at carjacking
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I drive an F250 and have used it push carts out of my way in parking lots, I wouldn't hesistate to do it if there were carts in the road.

I got a 1998 Grand cherokee,a shopping cart is just a small bump in the road
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Four shopping carts lined up to block a public road IS NOT RIGHT!
    Yup. IMO, based on how unlikely it is that four carts decided to do this behavior all on their own, it's incredibly likely to be an ambush.

Don't go down there!
    Yup. It's that simple. Use that 3500 lb car to good effect.

But, if you do end up needing to exit the vehicle, better to (a) lock the car first and (b) be armed while doing so.

Maybe this lady got that much needed education the hard way. It remains to be seen though.
    Yeah, I doubt she learned much. I doubt she'll be able to apply the same warning signals to other situations.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

More than likely she was a and never even thought about a BG being there. Some folks just think this kinds stuff only happens in the big city or on TV. Hey people wake up, their everywhere, and they will get the people that are unprepared and not ecpecting it . SA SA nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by kellyII View Post
    More than likely she was a and never even thought about a BG being there. Some folks just think this kinds stuff only happens in the big city or on TV. Hey people wake up, their everywhere, and they will get the people that are unprepared and not ecpecting it . SA SA nuff said
    ...and I'll bet she was talking on her cell phone while this all started.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This just goes to show how criminials are perfecting their craft. They are getting more and more devious as time goes on.

I agree with the posters here, seeing something like that would make my "spidey" sense tingle. Too bad the victim didn't feel it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Don't go down there! Either back up and return from the direction you came, or take the dings and dents in your car by using your car to push them out of the way to get out of the ambush zone as quickly as possible!

That situation just screams... "Don't get out of the car!"
    Especially in Westland and/or Detroit in general.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Common sense should tell you something unpleasant is going on. The only reasonable thing to do is get out of there ASAP, and then call 911.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links