Bad: Police officer shot

This is a discussion on Bad: Police officer shot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Happened this morning. PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- The Pasadena police department is mourning the loss of a comrade today. The officer was shot and killed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Police officer shot

Bad: Police officer shot

Happened this morning.

PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- The Pasadena police department is mourning the loss of a comrade today. The officer was shot and killed by a man whose mother describes him as mentally ill.

It happened around 6:30am on Bob Street near Shaver at a mobile home community. Pasadena Police Chief Bud Corbett identified the slain officer as Jesse Hamilton. He died shortly after 7am at the hospital.

According to police officials, an officer came out to the home after a disturbance call was made around 6:09am. The call came over the radio that an officer was down around 6:28am.

Olga Garcia told Eyewitness News that her son shot the officer and that this morning's trouble was not surprise to her. She says he has a history of mental health issues, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. He had just gotten out of jail last week.
    Her son's wife and child came to stay with her following strange behavior from him this week.

"She came and stayed here with me, and in the morning I talked to him and I talked to him and said just relax and then you can come over here and talk to her, well, he came in the middle of the night," said Garcia.

Police told us she called 911 for help just after 6 o'clock this morning, and was on the front porch talking to the officer.

"At some point, the officer learned that the suspect who was inside the trailer had a gun and he advised the dispatcher that the suspect was armed. Almost immediately after that a shot was fired. The officer struck in the head. He would only live another half hour before succumbing to the injury," said Chief Corbett.

Police are trying to determine if the injured officer or a backup officer shot the suspect.

Officer Hamilton leaves behind his wife and three children. He was with the Pasadena police department for the last four years.

The suspect has been identified as Sergio Robles. He was shot in the head and is listed in critical condition.

An investigation is underway.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Probably one of our fine friends from south 'o' the border!

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Olga Garcia told Eyewitness News that her son shot the officer and that this morning's trouble was not surprise to her. She says he has a history of mental health issues, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. He had just gotten out of jail last week.
    How is it that somebody with known mental illnesses and a bi-polar disorder has access to a gun? Some of this responsibility lies with the occupants of the house. Actually, sad for both LEO and shooter.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member
    RIP Hero
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Tragic and heartbreaking. How seldom the public appreciates the service of LEO's who must deal with the criminal and crazy elements in society.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I'm sure that POS had a lengthy criminal history of violence
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Prayers for the family.

I noted that the BG also just got out of jail. The news seems to enjoy highlighting mental illness as the cause. Maybe he was just a BG!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Prayers sent to his family!
    [One Nation Under God]

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Prayers for the family.

I noted that the BG also just got out of jail. The news seems to enjoy highlighting mental illness as the cause. Maybe he was just a BG!
    I don't necessarily read the story as stating the mental illness as "the cause" of his actions. I believe they were just highlighting his extensive history of mental illness. The wife and child also fled the home as a direct result of "strange behavior."

Btw... a bipolar disorder coupled with schizophrenia is no insignificant matter. People with that particular combination of mental illness are a real mess. And in no small way, can be extremely dangerous and unpredictable.

Bottom line, a law officer is dead. Doesn't matter if the man was mentally ill or just simply a callous thug. The key word in this situation is he was dangerous and that's all that mattered.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My first thought was how does a person with these mental illnesses get a hold of a weapon. They must have been left where he had access to them.

People with bi-polar disorder can be be happy one second and kill the next. Toss in the mixture a half a cup of schizophrenia and you have one deadly recipe.

May God rest the officer shot and comfort the family left behind.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    My first thought was how does a person with these mental illnesses get a hold of a weapon. They must have been left where he had access to them.
    Why is that a must? It may have been stolen, bought cheaply from someone else who stole it, etc...Maybe it was his moms? Even if she had it locked up, cheap gun cabinets can be pried open in about 5 seconds. Not having easy access to weapons in no way deters criminals from getting one. A person with a criminal background is not going to stick to the laws when obtaining a weapon.

The fact that he had a gun, however, isn't the problem here. A mentally unstable person turned violent.

That is a rough story, and a real shame someone was killed.

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    Why is that a must? It may have been stolen, bought cheaply from someone else who stole it, etc...Maybe it was his moms? Even if she had it locked up, cheap gun cabinets can be pried open in about 5 seconds. Not having easy access to weapons in no way deters criminals from getting one. A person with a criminal background is not going to stick to the laws when obtaining a weapon.

The fact that he had a gun, however, isn't the problem here. A mentally unstable person turned violent.

That is a rough story, and a real shame someone was killed.
    The fact that an officer was shot makes the gun very important in this case. We'll have to wait to see where the gun come from but I'll bet his mother would have called the police sooner and stated he had a gun if he had brought it with him to her house.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Why is where the gun came from more important to you then the fact that a mentally unstable person killed someone?

Quote Originally Posted by BaserRonin View Post
    Why is where the gun came from more important to you then the fact that a mentally unstable person killed someone?
    I never said that it was more important to me, I just said that was the first thought to pop into mind while reading. You seem to be more preoccupied by my opinion than the story itself.

NRA Member

A little more history on the killer,
    Suspect in Pasadena police slaying has local history | TOP STORIES | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas

03:51 PM CDT on Saturday, August 22, 2009

By Chris Paschenko / The Daily News

PASADENA — The man suspected in Friday’s fatal shooting of a Pasadena police officer once sued Santa Fe police, claiming two officers use excessive force against him.

Sergio Robles, 24, was at Memorial Hermann Hospital undergoing neurosurgery Friday morning, the attorney who represented Robles in the Santa Fe incident, Kelly W. Case, said. A hospital spokeswoman said Robles was in critical condition Friday afternoon.

Robles is suspected in the fatal shooting of Pasadena officer Jesse Hamilton, 29, who also was flown to Memorial Hermann shortly after he was shot in the head about 6:30 a.m., Pasadena Police Department spokesman Vance Mitchell said.

Sergio Robles, Jr.
    Officers arriving at the scene shot Robles in the head.

Charges of capital murder and aggravated assault were filed from Harris County’s 177th District Court against Robles, Mitchell said. Robles is held without bond. The aggravated assault charge stems from an accusation that Robles pointed a weapon at another officer.

Robles’ uncle, Alfred Postel, who was at the hospital with other relatives, called Case to tell him of the situation.

Santa Fe Connection

Robles, who suffers from schizophrenia, was off his medication and walking Aug. 21, 2006, on state Highway 6 in Santa Fe when he encountered two police officers.

A struggle ensued, and Robles accused the officers of using excessive force in detaining him.

Robles was distraught about his father’s death three days earlier, Case said.

In the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court, Robles accused the officers of throwing him to the ground, punching him and sitting on him.

Robles was charged with two counts of felony assault of a police officer, but when video surfaced of the matter, the charges were later reduced to resisting arrest.

Robles was acquitted of that charge in February.

The city of Santa Fe settled Robles’ lawsuit, agreeing to pay him $125,000.

“They’re not sure if he was off his meds or not, but it sounds like he was just from the description of erratic behavior,” Case said of Friday’s incident.

Robles had an altercation Thursday night with his girlfriend, who is the mother of his child, Mitchell said.

“As a result, the mother takes the baby and goes to his mother’s trailer to spend the night,” Mitchell said. “Robles shows up at 5 a.m., and apparently created a scene to the point his mother called us.”

Robles’ mother, Olga Garcia, called police at 6:09 a.m., and Hamilton went to the porch of the residence to speak with the mother, Mitchell said.

Officer Suffers Fatal Wound

“The suspect comes out of the door with a semi-automatic handgun and fired one time, striking the officer in the head,” Mitchell said. Two officers were either on scene or had just arrived at the trailer on Joe Street, Mitchell said.

“They retreated back behind the trailer and fired, striking him in the head,” Mitchell said, noting he didn’t immediately have details of whether one or more officers fired their weapons.

Mitchell said he thought Robles would survive his injury.

“It hit him at just the right angle and went under his skin and around his skull,” Mitchell said. “I just wish our officer had been that lucky.”

Fear Of Police

Robles had a fear of police since the Santa Fe incident, Case said.

“When Sergio saw a police officer, I’m sure that was going through his head,” Case said.

“He told me several times how he was scared driving around when police would drive by. He was just terrified.”

Hamilton, who was a Pasadena police officer for 4 years, is survived by his wife and two children, Mitchell said.

This story is available through KHOU, Ch. 11's partnership with The Galveston County Daily News.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links