Sheriff says teen violence on this scale is very common

This is a discussion on Sheriff says teen violence on this scale is very common within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by edr9x23super A common thing with kids nowadays?? Blame it all on violent video games?? I say place the blame where it belongs ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 81

Thread: Sheriff says teen violence on this scale is very common

  1. #31
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    A common thing with kids nowadays??

    Blame it all on violent video games??

    I say place the blame where it belongs - on the parents, who should be sharing that jail cell with their worthless kids....
    Nobody is blaming it all on violent video games, so your statement is a straw man argument.

    How do you know the parents are to blame? That's sheer assumption on your part.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    I could quote myself all day, that doesn't make me right. I could also seek dental advice from the people that make snicker's bars and look to the violence policy center for an informed opinion about firearms, but that wouldn't give me the facts I need to base an intelligent opinion on.
    ^Classic examples of straw man arguments.

    However, I agree that you haven't presented any facts needed to base an intelligent opinion on.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  4. #33
    Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    721
    When I was a teenager, we went to the arcade for games... and some of my favorites were the "shooters" that actually had a machine gun to hold and a trigger to pull...

    Took me a couple decades to actually purchase a gun... and so far, I haven't gone on any shooting sprees. If playing video games makes you more prone to gun violence, I think you are probably a dimwit already, and you can do it without the games... at no time have I ever considered shooting anyone.



    Although, if you hear a story about a horrible shooting spree of senseless gun violence where the guys in the Free Credit Report Dot Com band are gunned down in a hail of bullets, you guys never saw me... got it...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

  5. #34
    VIP Member Array stormbringerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    2,207
    i think someone should invent a new video game in which the 101st airborne goes around shooting down gang members until there aren't any left on earth.they could also call on friends like the rangers,82nd airborne seals and others.
    remember the games not over until there are no more gang members...:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

  6. #35
    Member Array M203Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    ^Classic examples of straw man arguments.

    However, I agree that you haven't presented any facts needed to base an intelligent opinion on.
    People are responsible for their actions.

    That is a fact. Form an opinion.
    You want to keep blowing hot air around worthless statements, and excerpts, go ahead.


    Although, if you hear a story about a horrible shooting spree of senseless gun violence where the guys in the Free Credit Report Dot Com band are gunned down in a hail of bullets, you guys never saw me... got it...?
    I don't care who you are - that's funny right there.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

  7. #36
    Senior Moderator
    Array pgrass101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    13,451
    Sociopaths in training,

    I don't know if they can ever function in a just society
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

    ― Robert A. Heinlein,

  8. #37
    Senior Member Array RemMod597's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    behind you...
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    i think someone should invent a new video game in which the 101st airborne goes around shooting down gang members until there aren't any left on earth.they could also call on friends like the rangers,82nd airborne seals and others.
    remember the games not over until there are no more gang members...:
    I love the way you think!
    How about a "reality show" along those lines?


    The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.

  9. #38
    Member Array steelhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    i think someone should invent a new video game in which the 101st airborne goes around shooting down gang members until there aren't any left on earth.they could also call on friends like the rangers,82nd airborne seals and others.
    remember the games not over until there are no more gang members...:
    That would be a great game. I would actually buy one of those.

  10. #39
    Ex Member Array JOHNSMITH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    1,726
    Ahh yes. Of course! Definitely sounds like your stereotypical cheetos-eating, basement-living compulsive gamer!

    No, it's hardly video games. Where were these kids' parents? Obviously nowhere. If you don't raise them right in the beginning, it's hard to bring them back in line. This level of criminality is terrible.

    These kids will all probably get out when they are 18, with completely clean records.

  11. #40
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    You want to keep blowing hot air around worthless statements, and excerpts, go ahead.
    You need to heed your own advice.

    Colonel Grossman is a trained psychologist, who taught psychology to U.S. Army officer cadets at West Point. He specialized in the psychology of killing and violence, and is a recognized authority in those areas.

    I've repeatedly asked for your credentials in the field of psychology, but you just keep blowing hot air and making worthless statements.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  12. #41
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    Ahh yes. Of course! Definitely sounds like your stereotypical cheetos-eating, basement-living compulsive gamer!

    No, it's hardly video games. Where were these kids' parents? Obviously nowhere. If you don't raise them right in the beginning, it's hard to bring them back in line. This level of criminality is terrible.

    These kids will all probably get out when they are 18, with completely clean records.
    Neither Colonel Grossman nor myself have made the claim that video games are entirely to blame, so I don't know why several people in this thread feel the need to continue using that straw man.

    Atrocious parenting has existed throughout world history. It's nothing new.

    However, young kids mass-murdering people with guns and bombs is a recent phenomenon that started in the last few decades.

    Trying to blame lousy parenting doesn't wash, because parents who ignored and/or mistreated their kids have existed throughout human history.

    What did NOT exist in the past are media-created fantasy worlds where kids are constantly bombarded with violent movies, images, music, video games etc.---often for many hours per day.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  13. #42
    Member Array M203Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    238
    However, young kids mass-murdering people with guns and bombs is a recent phenomenon that started in the last few decades.


    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    Trying to blame lousy parenting doesn't wash, because parents who ignored and/or mistreated their kids have existed throughout human history.

    What did NOT exist in the past are media-created fantasy worlds where kids are constantly bombarded with violent movies, images, music, video games etc.---often for many hours per day.
    And pencils cause mis-spelled words and forks make you fat yadda yadda
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

  14. #43
    Member Array M203Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    You need to heed your own advice.

    Colonel Grossman is a trained psychologist, who taught psychology to U.S. Army officer cadets at West Point. He specialized in the psychology of killing and violence, and is a recognized authority in those areas.
    Colonel Grossman is making a lot of money selling a product. Good for him. He's an idiot and he won't let a single tragedy go to waste without commenting, speaking or consoling the poor neighbor hoods that haven't bought his book. There's some reality for you.

    How about listening to people who aren't making a buck selling excuses for senseless death to cops and little scared soccer mom's?

    In Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games, researchers/authors Lawrence Kutner,PhD, and Cheryl K. Olson, ScD, refute claims of violent behavior increase caused by violent video games. The researchers' study shows that adolescents that don't play video games at all are most at-risk for violent behavior, claiming that video game play is part of an adolescent boy's normal social setting.

    The American Psychological Association summarizes the issue as "Psychological research confirms that violent video games can increase childrens aggression, but that parents moderate the negative effects."

    Other studies, however, reach the conclusion that violence in video games is not causally linked with aggressive tendencies. This was the conclusion of a 1999 study by the U.S. government, prompting Surgeon General David Satcher to say, "We clearly associate media violence to aggressive behavior. But the impact was very small compared to other things. Some may not be happy with that, but that’s where the science is."

    After conducting a two-year study of more than 1,200 middle-school children about their attitudes towards video games, Harvard Medical School researchers Lawrence Kutner and Cheryl Olson found that playing video games did not have a particularly negative effect on the researched group.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

  15. #44
    Member Array KralBlbec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    What did NOT exist in the past are media-created fantasy worlds where kids are constantly bombarded with violent movies, images, music, video games etc.---often for many hours per day.
    Didn't you play cops and robbers growing up? Whats the difference?

    You are using the same logic that can be used to argue for total gun control.

  16. #45
    VIP Member Array stormbringerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    2,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    Neither Colonel Grossman nor myself have made the claim that video games are entirely to blame, so I don't know why several people in this thread feel the need to continue using that straw man.

    Atrocious parenting has existed throughout world history. It's nothing new.

    However, young kids mass-murdering people with guns and bombs is a recent phenomenon that started in the last few decades.

    Trying to blame lousy parenting doesn't wash, because parents who ignored and/or mistreated their kids have existed throughout human history.

    What did NOT exist in the past are media-created fantasy worlds where kids are constantly bombarded with violent movies, images, music, video games etc.---often for many hours per day.
    i seem to remember being bombarded by a lot of violent movies and scenes and also the threat of annihilation by the USSR in the late 50s early 60s
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Lee Safety Scale - CANNOT ZERO!!!!
    By harley2007 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: June 22nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
  2. Scale
    By rmilchman in forum Reloading
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: September 27th, 2009, 03:36 PM
  3. On a scale of 1 to 10 how absurd is...
    By bal_g23 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 6th, 2009, 06:50 AM
  4. Teen shoots Teen in Fort Worth, Texas Break-in
    By Reborn in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 30th, 2008, 11:12 AM
  5. Federal Job Pay Scale?
    By ArmyCop in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM

Search tags for this page

pros on video games cause teen violence

,

teen violence stats iowa

Click on a term to search for related topics.