Sheriff says teen violence on this scale is very common

This is a discussion on Sheriff says teen violence on this scale is very common within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by M203Sniper Colonel Grossman is making a lot of money selling a product. Good for him. He's an idiot and he won't let ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 81

Thread: Sheriff says teen violence on this scale is very common

  1. #46
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    Colonel Grossman is making a lot of money selling a product. Good for him. He's an idiot and he won't let a single tragedy go to waste without commenting, speaking or consoling the poor neighbor hoods that haven't bought his book. There's some reality for you.

    How about listening to people who aren't making a buck selling excuses for senseless death to cops and little scared soccer mom's?

    In Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games, researchers/authors Lawrence Kutner,PhD, and Cheryl K. Olson, ScD, refute claims of violent behavior increase caused by violent video games. The researchers' study shows that adolescents that don't play video games at all are most at-risk for violent behavior, claiming that video game play is part of an adolescent boy's normal social setting.

    The American Psychological Association summarizes the issue as "Psychological research confirms that violent video games can increase childrens aggression, but that parents moderate the negative effects."

    Other studies, however, reach the conclusion that violence in video games is not causally linked with aggressive tendencies. This was the conclusion of a 1999 study by the U.S. government, prompting Surgeon General David Satcher to say, "We clearly associate media violence to aggressive behavior. But the impact was very small compared to other things. Some may not be happy with that, but that’s where the science is."

    After conducting a two-year study of more than 1,200 middle-school children about their attitudes towards video games, Harvard Medical School researchers Lawrence Kutner and Cheryl Olson found that playing video games did not have a particularly negative effect on the researched group.
    You just can't stop beating a dead horse with your straw man arguments.

    I repeat, neither Colonel Grossman nor myself have ever suggested that video games alone are causing the problem.

    So everything you posted above is irrelevant.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #47
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    The American Psychological Association summarizes the issue as "Psychological research confirms that violent video games can increase childrens aggression, but that parents moderate the negative effects."
    Since you're taking the APA's comments out of context, I figure I'll let them speak for themselves IN CONTEXT:

    VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES CAN INCREASE AGGRESSION

    May Be More Harmful Than Violent Television and Movies Because of the Interactive Nature of the Games

    WASHINGTON - Playing violent video games like Doom, Wolfenstein 3D or Mortal Kombat can increase a person's aggressive thoughts, feelings and behavior both in laboratory settings and in actual life, according to two studies appearing in the April issue of the American Psychological Association's (APA) Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

    Furthermore, violent video games may be more harmful than violent television and movies because they are interactive, very engrossing and require the player to identify with the aggressor, say the researchers.

    "One study reveals that young men who are habitually aggressive may be especially vulnerable to the aggression-enhancing effects of repeated exposure to violent games," said psychologists Craig A. Anderson, Ph.D., and Karen E. Dill, Ph.D. "The other study reveals that even a brief exposure to violent video games can temporarily increase aggressive behavior in all types of participants."

    The first study involved 227 college students who completed a measure of trait aggressiveness and reported their actual aggressive behaviors (delinquency) in the recent past. They also reported their video game playing habits.

    "We found that students who reported playing more violent video games in junior and high school engaged in more aggressive behavior," said lead author Anderson, of Iowa State University. "We also found that amount of time spent playing video games in the past was associated with lower academic grades in college."

    In the second study, 210 college students played either a violent (Wolfenstein 3D) or nonviolent video game (Myst). A short time later, the students who played the violent video game punished an opponent (received a noise blast with varying intensity) for a longer period of time than did students who had played the nonviolent video game.

    "Violent video games provide a forum for learning and practicing aggressive solutions to conflict situations," said Dr. Anderson. "In the short run, playing a violent video game appears to affect aggression by priming aggressive thoughts.

    Longer-term effects are likely to be longer lasting as well, as the player learns and practices new aggression-related scripts that can become more and more accessible for use when real-life conflict situations arise."

    "One major concern is the active nature of the learning environment of the video game," say the authors. "This medium is potentially more dangerous than exposure to violent television and movies, which are known to have substantial effects on aggression and violence."

    Article: "Video Games and Aggressive Thoughts, Feelings, and Behavior in the Laboratory and in Life," Craig A. Anderson, Ph.D., Iowa State University of Science and Technology and Karen E. Dill, Ph.D., Lenoir-Rhyne College, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 78, No. 4.

    http://www.apa.org/releases/videogames.html
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  4. #48
    Member Array J Bowen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    371
    I think it all ties in together. It is mostly about
    having a negative bad attitude to begin with
    then kids throw violent games, movies, and
    gangsta rap which I am sure they all listened to
    since they called themselves hot boyz or whatever
    into their daily routine. The statistics will show they probably
    come from single parent homes or live with grandparents it is
    all just a bad mix but surely starts with a bad reckless attiude.

  5. #49
    VIP Member Array stormbringerr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    2,207
    Quote Originally Posted by J Bowen View Post
    I think it all ties in together. It is mostly about
    having a negative bad attitude to begin with
    then kids throw violent games, movies, and
    gangsta rap which I am sure they all listened to
    since they called themselves hot boyz or whatever
    into their daily routine. The statistics will show they probably
    come from single parent homes or live with grandparents it is
    all just a bad mix but surely starts with a bad reckless attiude.
    true, lets use some common sense in all this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

  6. #50
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by J Bowen View Post
    I think it all ties in together. It is mostly about having a negative bad attitude to begin with then kids throw violent games, movies, and gangsta rap which I am sure they all listened to since they called themselves hot boyz or whatever into their daily routine. The statistics will show they probably come from single parent homes or live with grandparents it is all just a bad mix but surely starts with a bad reckless attiude.
    I've said from the beginning that it's a "bad mix"---from an early age kids are exposed to many hours of violence from TV, movies, video games, music etc.

    Some of them become completely desensitized to violence and lose touch with reality, and we end up with another school massacre.

    However, you're incorrect in assuming that they "come from single parent homes or live with grandparents".

    Both Harris and Klebold, the perps at Columbine, came from stable middle class homes with both parents present during their childhood.

    Neither was physically abused at home. There's also no evidence that they were excessively bullied at school. In fact, the police investigation revealed that Harris and Klebold bullied other students themselves.

    The lame excuse that "Those poor kids were probably completely ignored by their parents growing up", just doesn't cut it.

    Countless millions of kids throughout history have been ignored by their parents, but school massacres were a rarity until the current age of graphic violence from TV, movies, video games, music etc.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  7. #51
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    true, lets use some common sense in all this.
    I've been saying essentially the same thing as J Bowen from the beginning of this thread, so it's time some here played catch-up to me in the common sense department.

    It's a "bad mix" of several factors, which I pointed out in my previous post.

    The hard fact remains---lousy parenting is as old as the human race, but school massacres were a rarity before the current age of graphic violence from TV, movies, video games, music etc.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  8. #52
    Member Array M203Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    I've been saying essentially the same thing as J Bowen from the beginning of this thread, so it's time some here played catch-up to me in the common sense department.

    It's a "bad mix" of several factors, which I pointed out in my previous post.

    The hard fact remains---lousy parenting is as old as the human race, but school massacres were a rarity before the current age of graphic violence from TV, movies, video games, music etc.
    Why do you keep repeating the lie?

    It has nothing to do with games and rap music. You are responsible for your own actions. You have no one to blame but your self. You are cognizant person who can differentiate right from wrong.

    If you can't tell the difference between right and wrong no amount of internet, music or TV is going to fix that.

    Violence is NOT caused by the internet, rap music or video games, they do not attract violent kids, although violent kids may be attracted to certain games, no one has ever done a balanced scientific study on that. It wouldn't prove anything. There are less than 100 instances of violent outbursts but there are millions of kids playing video games and killing their hearing with crappy music. That shows us nothing.

    People were exposed to inhumane levels of violence at the Colosseum, children suffered through the black plague, the dust bowl, threat of imminent Nuclear war and the pending invasion of the Nazi's into their homes. There are children all over the third world who live with constant starvation in single parent and sometimes NO parent "homes" (if you can call them a home) because "Mommy" was Raped and beaten to death by the local Warlord's soldiers.

    & your trying to tell me that none of THEM have gone crazy, picked up one of the thousands of AK-47's to massacre their village because they haven't played Grand Theft Auto?

    You've got to stop getting your information from the fourth point of contact.

    If you have only experienced the world outside of the US through your television and books written by "experts" you may want to stop looking at the internet for a while and save some money for an off shore vacation. Try Somalia or Burma, I understand it's still not to hard to get into Turkmenistan this month, good luck getting out. Don't try East Timur without getting all of your shots first. There is more to this planet than what you JUST learned on CNN or Oprah today.

    If you want to say something like the previous poster, where these little ******** have got a bad attitude, reinforced by society and they justify it in their own minds because of living in a crappy home, maybe with no dad maybe with a man that's a poor role model.
    You wouldn't be too far from the truth.
    Attempting to blame outbursts of violence that don't make any sense on technology is flat ridiculous.
    -How about the thousands of violent criminals that are out on parole.
    -How about the list of pedophiles stalking around your town right now.
    -How about the poor examples of manhood that these little craps identify with and try to emulate.

    When you were growing up you knew that the bad guys go to jail, a man doesn't ever hit a woman and that their would be food on the table. You weren't a good kid because you watched "The Adventures of Superman" and little Johnny down the street didn't cash out his life savings and bail on his wife and kids because he was a devoted fan of "Gilligan's Island"
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

  9. #53
    Member Array J Bowen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    371
    I can agree with a lot of the different views
    on the subject. I for one dont think games,
    music and such should be blamed for young violence
    but think it may amplify the already bad attitude of
    some youth. It is a choice whether someone is violent
    or not which the individual needs to be held accountable
    for no matter what type of home they come from or games
    they play.

  10. #54
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    According to the American Academy of Pediatricians, "Extensive research evidence indicates that media violence can contribute to aggressive behavior, desensitization to violence, nightmares, and fear of being harmed."

    They go even further, stating "leading researchers now state that the link between media violence and aggressive behavior is undeniable, more than 3500 research studies have examined the association between media violence and violent behavior; all but 18 have shown a positive relationship."

    Violence in Movies and it's Effect on Children
    ...
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  11. #55
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    As early as the 1960s, studies reported that watching violence can make children more aggressive.

    In fact, the American Medical Association, the American Psychological Association, the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, and the National Institute of Mental Health have all linked violent TV and movies with aggressive behavior in some young people.

    Watching violence can also leave children fearful or make them less sensitive to real violence and its consequences.

    http://www.education.pitt.edu/ocd/pu...ieViolence.pdf
    ...
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  12. #56
    Member Array J Bowen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southern USA
    Posts
    371
    Some kids play violent games for hours
    a day even while listening to violent music
    at the same time. That has to have some negative effect.
    Some minds can handle it and some cant. In away it is kind
    of like brainwashing especially to a already suseptible angry mind.
    If someone already has violent thoughts and a negative attitude they need
    to listen to more peaceful music and do more relaxing things like painting or
    fishing not blasting away people in games and listening to music that glorifies
    violence.

  13. #57
    Member Array M203Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    According to the American Academy of Pediatricians, "Extensive research evidence indicates that media violence can contribute to aggressive behavior, desensitization to violence, nightmares, and fear of being harmed."
    http://www.discoveryjourney.com/violenceinmovies.htm

    and they will tell you all about it for $14.95 a month.

    Childrens Book and Movie Reviews



    If you're going to use Google to search for arguments to support your position you should look at the whole site. In this case these internet "experts" are making a killing off of irrational fears that Col. Grossman started with a little white lie and they exploit for cold cash.
    GG
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

  14. #58
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    Direct from the American Academy of Pediatrics website, which can be read free of charge:

    The American Academy of Pediatrics recognizes exposure to violence in media, including television, movies, music, and video games, as a significant risk to the health of children and adolescents. Extensive research evidence indicates that media violence can contribute to aggressive behavior, desensitization to violence, nightmares, and fear of being harmed.

    Pediatricians should assess their patients' level of media exposure and intervene on media-related health risks. Pediatricians and other child health care providers can advocate for a safer media environment for children by encouraging media literacy, more thoughtful and proactive use of media by children and their parents, more responsible portrayal of violence by media producers, and more useful and effective media ratings.

    Media Violence -- Committee on Public Education 108 (5): 1222 -- AAP Policy
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  15. #59
    Member Array Defensive Arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by M203Sniper View Post
    Violence in Movies and it's Effect on Children

    and they will tell you all about it for $14.95 a month.

    Childrens Book and Movie Reviews

    If you're going to use Google to search for arguments to support your position you should look at the whole site. In this case these internet "experts" are making a killing off of irrational fears that Col. Grossman started with a little white lie and they exploit for cold cash.
    GG
    Actually, they gave a documented, correct quote from the American Academy of Pediatrics official website, which can be read for free online:

    Media Violence -- Committee on Public Education 108 (5): 1222 -- AAP Policy
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

    ~ Massad Ayoob

  16. #60
    Member Array M203Sniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    Actually, they gave a documented, correct quote from the American Academy of Pediatrics official website, which can be read for free online:

    Media Violence -- Committee on Public Education 108 (5): 1222 -- AAP Policy
    and then charge you $15 a month to keep you up to date

    That Kool Aid isn't drinking itself you know.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Lee Safety Scale - CANNOT ZERO!!!!
    By harley2007 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: June 22nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
  2. Scale
    By rmilchman in forum Reloading
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: September 27th, 2009, 03:36 PM
  3. On a scale of 1 to 10 how absurd is...
    By bal_g23 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 6th, 2009, 06:50 AM
  4. Teen shoots Teen in Fort Worth, Texas Break-in
    By Reborn in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May 30th, 2008, 11:12 AM
  5. Federal Job Pay Scale?
    By ArmyCop in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM

Search tags for this page

pros on video games cause teen violence

,

teen violence stats iowa

Click on a term to search for related topics.